Get 1 year of free community web site hosting from Community123.com!
Saturday, April 04, 2020

HOATalk is a free service of Community123.com:

Get 1 free year community website and email newsletter hosting from Community123.com!
Only members have access to all features.
Click here to join HOATalk for Free! Members click here to login and access all features.
Subject: Management
Prev Next
Please login to post a reply (click Member Login on the menu).
Author Messages
DanaB1
(Connecticut)

01/18/2009 5:40 PM  
I live in a condo; if a unit owner has a complaint (let's say water came into the unit and stained a wall or ceiling) would you expect your manager to view the damage or just send someone out to repair it? In this casee the association would be responsible for the repair.

SusannaM
(Florida)

01/18/2009 6:13 PM  
DanaB, are you self managed ??? Normally, condo unit owners call the property management co. or, they log on to the PMC website and fill out a "service order."
DanaB1
(Connecticut)

01/18/2009 6:20 PM  
No, we have a management company.

I guess what I'm looking for is that sometimes owners call with saying that they have some kind of damage and I'm just curious how many associations out there have managers that come out and perhaps take a picture of the damage so that an owner doesn't then talk the subcontractor into doing more than needed wherein the association is now on the hook for the bill.

I'm big on documenting damage or work needed. I take pictures of everything, I find it easier to remember all the work that needed to be done, along with other reasons.

I am on the board.

DonnaS
(Tennessee)

01/18/2009 6:22 PM  

Dana,

I would not be too concerned as long as the repair was addressed in a timely matter AND the Association is paying for it. I would take some really close up photos of the damage. If it is not repaired to your satisfaction, you would have proof of what it looked like. Then I would make sure that the manager comes in person.
SusannaM
(Florida)

01/18/2009 6:34 PM  
Dana, I thought you were a board member. My friendly advise to you, don't get too involved or too personal with service matters that your property manager should handle for your association.
DonnaS
(Tennessee)

01/18/2009 6:39 PM  

Dana,

As in all business and Board dealings, there are three words of advice.(seems that you already know)

DOCUMENT, DOCUMENT, DOCUMENT
DanaB1
(Connecticut)

01/18/2009 6:40 PM  

That is the crux of the issue; we have a new management company and I expect the manager as part of their duties to view damage to units to that the association is reponsble to repair. The manager seems to think otherwise.
DanaB1
(Connecticut)

01/18/2009 6:41 PM  
Sorry, I should have proof read that.
DonnaS
(Tennessee)

01/18/2009 6:44 PM  

Dana,
There is NO issue with the M.C. Either they do as the Board instructs, be that an on site visit or they don't. Then it is your choice on what to do with them. My choice would be walking papers if they did not see things your way. They work for the Board, not the other way around. Make sure that you are very clear on what is expected of them. It should be in writting on the contract.
RobertR1
(South Carolina)

01/18/2009 7:02 PM  
Dana,
I, of course take exception to some of the replies here.

You stated you were a Board member and it is clear you want to know how far your concerns should range in order to keep your conscious clear.

If this is a huge condo and personal contact by board members with your bosses (the members), I can understand that the mechanics of running a big business may deter a Board members interest. But if and most condos are neighborhoods and you see each other every day, I would be pleased as a voting member of my association to see a Board member take a personal interest in repair work that needed to be done, especially if any question can arise that would cloud who is responsible for the damages. Granted a managers job is to be on top of this, and also granted is the fact that the manager works for the Board and over-site of the management is critical. What better way to build Board support than a Board Member showing interest in a members problem.

But, this is not a new subject around here and I sort of hope it fades quickly, as the subject matter doesn't seem to led to mutual agreement.
AnneH2
(Florida)

01/18/2009 7:03 PM  
I echo what Donna says. Depending on the size of the job, I don't think it would be too much to expect the PM to accompany the workers. In the least he/she should go with the foreman to see the damage and ensure that what must be repaired is taken care of- no more, no less. This doesn't just protect the association and property owner, but save the repairman the headache of the pushy owner who tries to get additional work done on the association's dime.

I've heard of owners asking for extra construction work to be done, a repairman who was asked to "slip in" a gallon of paint when he was going to the hardware store for supplies.

I would think that oversight of repair and maintenance jobs would be a function of the PM. Maybe check your contract and go from there.
DanaB1
(Connecticut)

01/18/2009 7:13 PM  
Posted By AnneH2 on 01/18/2009 7:03 PM
I echo what Donna says. Depending on the size of the job, I don't think it would be too much to expect the PM to accompany the workers. In the least he/she should go with the foreman to see the damage and ensure that what must be repaired is taken care of- no more, no less. This doesn't just protect the association and property owner, but save the repairman the headache of the pushy owner who tries to get additional work done on the association's dime.

I've heard of owners asking for extra construction work to be done, a repairman who was asked to "slip in" a gallon of paint when he was going to the hardware store for supplies.

I would think that oversight of repair and maintenance jobs would be a function of the PM. Maybe check your contract and go from there.

Anne, you have really hit on what happens as far as owners trying to slip things in.......and these same owners being the ones complaining about high fees.

Robert, I am a very hands on President. A couple problems with that fact is that owners always call me and some tend to treat me like hired help so that's not good. Secondly the management company tends to feel that I am then micromanaging them. "

Aye, it is a thin plank we walk maties."
Please login to post a reply (click Member Login on the menu).

Get 1 year of free community web site hosting from Community123.com!

Only members have access to all features.
Click here to join HOATalk for Free! Members click here to login and access all features.

General Legal Notice:  The content of forum messages are from the posting member and have not been reviewed nor endorsed by HOATalk.com.  Messages posted by HOATalk or other members are for informational purposes only, are not legal or professional advice and do not constitute an attorney-client relationship.  Readers should not act upon this information without seeking professional counsel.  HOATalk is not a licensed attorney, CPA, tax advisor, financial advisor or any other licensed professional.  HOATalk accepts ads from sponsors but does not verify sponsor qualifications nor endorse/guarantee any sponsor's product or service.
Legal Notice For Messages Posted by Sponsoring Attorneys: This message has been prepared by the sponsoring attorney for informational purposes only and does not constitute legal advice. This information is not intended to create, and receipt of it does not constitute an attorney-client relationship. Readers of HOATalk.com should not act on this information without seeking professional counsel. Please do not send any sponsoring attorney confidential information unless you speak with the sponsoring attorney or an attorney from the sponsoring attorney’s firm and get authorization to send that information to them. If you wish to initiate possible representation, please contact an attorney in the firm of the sponsoring attorney. Sponsoring attorneys that post messages here are licensed to practice law in a specific state or states as indicated in their message signature or sponsor’s profile page. (NOTE: A ‘sponsoring attorney’ is an attorney that is a HOATalk.com official sponsor and is identified as such in the posted message or on our sponsor page.)

Copyright HOA Talk.com, A Service of Community123 LLC ( Homeowners Association Discussions )   Terms Of Use  Privacy Statement