Get 1 year of free community web site hosting from Community123.com!
Tuesday, July 07, 2020

HOATalk is a free service of Community123.com:

Get 1 free year community website and email newsletter hosting from Community123.com!
Only members have access to all features.
Click here to join HOATalk for Free! Members click here to login and access all features.
Subject: Recommended Amount for Reserve Funds.
Prev Next
Please login to post a reply (click Member Login on the menu).
Author Messages
JosephM
(Alabama)

07/18/2006 12:46 PM  
Can any one direct me to a site where I may find out how much the Reserve Funds should?
We have 97 units in an 8 story high rise 23 years old and our annual budget for income from Maintenace Fees this year is $418,000.00.
In the past three years we have spent $931,000 (paid for with special assesments) on all big ticket items---Drives, Elevator, New Roof, Parking Deck Renewed, and Building steam-cleaned and sealed. None of the preceeding are anticipated to be required in the next 20 years. (The work done was the first to ever be done on the building).
I would appreciate any replies or recommendations. Our current reserve funds have an aggregate of $240,000 in them. We have two factions---one wants to increase the reserves by $ 90,000 per year so that there will never be any more Special Assessments----the other says we have paid for all these improvements in the last 3 years---why should we pay for them twice.
RogerB
(Colorado)

07/18/2006 1:08 PM  
Joseph, this site has lots of info on reserve funds. Click on the Search tab and type - reserve funds. The faction wanting to increase the reserve funds is by far the better option. You are not paying twice. You are paying to replace items in the future. Obviously that was not done in the past. Don't make that mistake again.
JulieS
(Georgia)

07/18/2006 7:08 PM  
Build the reserves to avoid any future special assessments.
JosephM
(Alabama)

07/18/2006 8:14 PM  
No----I am paying twice. I paid for myself and now I'm paying for someone else because I am 77 years old and there's no way I can receive the benefit of what I am paying for. Incidently---our monthly maintence fees have gone up 50% in the last 3 years--this in addition to horrendous special assessments we have paid.
JulieS
(Georgia)

07/19/2006 6:57 AM  
The reason your dues have increased so much in the past three years is due to the lack of planning for the future. Without a reserve study and reserve fund, the only way to pay for large repairs is a special assessment (which no one likes)or to get a loan which will increase the dues to pay the monthly payments for the life of the loan.

Your association should acquire a reserve study ASAP so that it can start planning for the future. Does your association have an initiation fee? This is something we just implemented and will go to build our reserve funds instead of having to increase assessments each year.

For the first five years of our neighborhood, we did not have a reserve study or reserve fund and the managment company hired by the past board said we did not need one. So now we are trying to make up for lost time as some major repairs are headed our way very soon.
ShirleyT
(Idaho)

07/20/2006 7:20 AM  
Determining the proper amount for a Reserve Fund requires making a list of all major items to be replaced. Roof, paining, mechanical (heat/cool, water heaters, boilers) Major items that serve the entire complex.

Example: Roof $ 50,000 life span = 10 years $5000 per year, $416.67 Month
Paint $100,000 Life Span 8 years $12,500 per year, $1,041.67 Month

Total Major Maintenance Items $1,458.34 divided by number of units 50 = $29.17 per month.

It is suggested an initial special assessment to establish a basis to fund the Reserve Fund Perhaps $1000 per unit and increase dues by the $29.17 ($30) per unit per month to be allocated to the Reserve Fund.

The above is an Example only.
Shirley T.
Hayden Idaho
Please login to post a reply (click Member Login on the menu).
Forums > Homeowner Association > HOA Discussions > Recommended Amount for Reserve Funds.

Get 1 year of free community web site hosting from Community123.com!

Only members have access to all features.
Click here to join HOATalk for Free! Members click here to login and access all features.

General Legal Notice:  The content of forum messages are from the posting member and have not been reviewed nor endorsed by HOATalk.com.  Messages posted by HOATalk or other members are for informational purposes only, are not legal or professional advice and do not constitute an attorney-client relationship.  Readers should not act upon this information without seeking professional counsel.  HOATalk is not a licensed attorney, CPA, tax advisor, financial advisor or any other licensed professional.  HOATalk accepts ads from sponsors but does not verify sponsor qualifications nor endorse/guarantee any sponsor's product or service.
Legal Notice For Messages Posted by Sponsoring Attorneys: This message has been prepared by the sponsoring attorney for informational purposes only and does not constitute legal advice. This information is not intended to create, and receipt of it does not constitute an attorney-client relationship. Readers of HOATalk.com should not act on this information without seeking professional counsel. Please do not send any sponsoring attorney confidential information unless you speak with the sponsoring attorney or an attorney from the sponsoring attorney’s firm and get authorization to send that information to them. If you wish to initiate possible representation, please contact an attorney in the firm of the sponsoring attorney. Sponsoring attorneys that post messages here are licensed to practice law in a specific state or states as indicated in their message signature or sponsor’s profile page. (NOTE: A ‘sponsoring attorney’ is an attorney that is a HOATalk.com official sponsor and is identified as such in the posted message or on our sponsor page.)

Copyright HOA Talk.com, A Service of Community123 LLC ( Homeowners Association Discussions )   Terms Of Use  Privacy Statement