Get 1 year of free community web site hosting from Community123.com!
Friday, July 10, 2020

HOATalk is a free service of Community123.com:

Easy to use website tools to help your board
Only members have access to all features.
Click here to join HOATalk for Free! Members click here to login and access all features.
Subject: No Board President
Prev Next
Please login to post a reply (click Member Login on the menu).
Author Messages
NancyM2
(California)

07/16/2006 6:59 AM  
Several years ago our HOA board President stepped down. The VP refused to take the tittle of President. Therefore we have been without a board President for almost three years now. Since there was never a full board it appeared that the position of President was still open. Currently we have a full board (5 members) but still no President. How can this happen.

Nancy M
JulieS
(Georgia)

07/16/2006 8:08 AM  
Someone has to be president as the documents should state the number of positions and titles. If there is no president, the vice president assumes responsibility of president...isn't that why there is a vice president?

What has happened in your neighborhood that keeps someone from wanting the title of president? I am our president because I am the most active person and am involved in things more than anyone else. I put the time and effort into the association, our community and the surrounding area that is steadily growing. I don't belive that just because I have the title of president I have more power. Our board works as a team, makes decisions as a team and is responsible as a team. I have the title of president because I have the leadership ability and can motivate others. Maybe you do not have anyone with leadership ability who is willing to take on being the leader?
BradP
(Kansas)

07/16/2006 9:03 AM  
Julie:

I am envious, I wish our board worked together. At any rate you are right if you don't have a president then the vice president assumes that role. Nancy, isn't your HOA the one that has the $150,000 attorney and $82,000 Ombudsman? I can't remember if that is you are not, but if it is it sounds like you need a strong person to step in and restore some order. Have you thought about it? Unfortunately often times nothing gets done unless you yourself step up to the plate. Good Luck.
RogerB
(Colorado)

07/16/2006 9:30 AM  
Nancy, the Board should be electing officers each year unless it is being done by the members. Until then the VP assumes the duties of the President. It happened because you don't have someone with leadership ability who has stepped forward to take charge.
NancyM2
(California)

07/16/2006 9:36 AM  
Brad: YES, unfortunately I am the same poster. As I have mentioned in previous postings this is a "clickish" board and certainly would not want me back as a board member, they think I am the "anti christ" of our community. I ask too many questions. The last time a certain person tried to get elected at a annual meeting, they (our Ombudsman) sent out packets to all the homeowners blackballing him. and then found a "fill in" person for the seat open. Just for that one meeting so there couldn't be any nominations from the floor. I so appriciate all the help I have recieved from HOATalk. I have had all these questions for years, and no where to go for answers.

Nancy M.
NancyM2
(California)

07/16/2006 9:57 AM  
Julie: The reason our VP gives everyone is "he doesn't want a bull's eye on his back" However he does assume the role of President at meetings (spokesperson) but will not except the tittle of PRESIDENT. I Also envy your board it sounds like they have a good and strong leader.

This VP doesn't even read his packet before a meeting ~ never did, even when I was on the board with him. and I have heard other board members complain that he doesn't do his homework. He shoots from the hip at meetings. Many times giving false information to the homeowners ~ Information that I am familuar with because I was on the board when it happened. I assuse him of trying to "re write" history.

Nancy M
NancyM2
(California)

07/16/2006 10:34 AM  
Brad: I should have added that many of our homeowners, and people that know me and my involvment in our community don't feel I am the "anti christ" They often thank me for my interest and concern. It's just our Attorney, Ombudsman, and even new board members that don't even know me think I am a problem.

Nancy M.
BradP
(Kansas)

07/16/2006 11:23 AM  
Nancy:

If you have that kind of backing use it to your advantage to get on the board and get rid of those who are complacent and don't care. I don't know how much each home would save each year by getting rid of an Ombudsman and a full-time attorney, but I would use that to your advantage. I am not an expert, but I am sure those on here who know a lot more than me would be willing to let you use their knowledge to convince people you don't need those services and you need a change. You seem like a natural president because you care and am investing your time and energy to fix what seems to be a problem. Good Luck!
AlexN1
(California)

07/16/2006 11:45 AM  
Nancy, Your State of California has a Corporations Code #7213, which states in part "A corporation shall have a chairman fo the board, or a president, or both"........"The president is the general manager and chief executive officer of the corporation, unless otherwise provided in the bylaws". The very person you speak of is listed as the CEO (in this case, same as President) on documents filed with the Secretary of State, which is required for all California Corporations. Why doesn't your members challenge him and your legal counsel (yes, that very expensive one), in writing, as to why they feel they can violate California law. Go get um girl.

The Beachboy
NancyM2
(California)

07/16/2006 12:23 PM  
Brad: Your suggestion is exactly what I would have suggested. However what you don't know is when I was on the board a couple of years back I was fighting tooth and nail to keep from changing our Mgmt Co. and hire the one we have now. Life was miserable, they kept building fires (false accusations) and I kept putting them out. That resulted in a major "burn out" which resulted in a mini stroke from high blood pressure. My husband will NOT let me join the board again. (but then again I never listen to him) ~~ just kidding

Nancy M
RichardE
(Kansas)

07/16/2006 4:11 PM  
I have been President on our board for six years. It is not a fun job, but it is one of those jobs that needs to be occupied. I am guessing that you have a annual membership meeting in which you elect your representatives.Our covenants state that we have a organizational meeting within one month. I can not understand as to why someone has not stepped up to at least ask for another meeting to fullfill the Presidents position. I.E. treasurer, secretary, etc. or hold a special election.In our addition all we have to have is a quorom to make decisions, so if you started out with ten for instance and you are down to five, all you would need would be three to hold a meeting. And the acting head of the board could call a special meeting to the general membership to elect a new board member and then inturn elect a new President.

Richard E.
Please login to post a reply (click Member Login on the menu).

Only members have access to all features.
Click here to join HOATalk for Free! Members click here to login and access all features.

General Legal Notice:  The content of forum messages are from the posting member and have not been reviewed nor endorsed by HOATalk.com.  Messages posted by HOATalk or other members are for informational purposes only, are not legal or professional advice and do not constitute an attorney-client relationship.  Readers should not act upon this information without seeking professional counsel.  HOATalk is not a licensed attorney, CPA, tax advisor, financial advisor or any other licensed professional.  HOATalk accepts ads from sponsors but does not verify sponsor qualifications nor endorse/guarantee any sponsor's product or service.
Legal Notice For Messages Posted by Sponsoring Attorneys: This message has been prepared by the sponsoring attorney for informational purposes only and does not constitute legal advice. This information is not intended to create, and receipt of it does not constitute an attorney-client relationship. Readers of HOATalk.com should not act on this information without seeking professional counsel. Please do not send any sponsoring attorney confidential information unless you speak with the sponsoring attorney or an attorney from the sponsoring attorney’s firm and get authorization to send that information to them. If you wish to initiate possible representation, please contact an attorney in the firm of the sponsoring attorney. Sponsoring attorneys that post messages here are licensed to practice law in a specific state or states as indicated in their message signature or sponsor’s profile page. (NOTE: A ‘sponsoring attorney’ is an attorney that is a HOATalk.com official sponsor and is identified as such in the posted message or on our sponsor page.)

Copyright HOA Talk.com, A Service of Community123 LLC ( Homeowners Association Discussions )   Terms Of Use  Privacy Statement