Get 1 year of free community web site hosting from Community123.com!
Saturday, April 04, 2020

HOATalk is a free service of Community123.com:

Get 1 free year community website and email newsletter hosting from Community123.com!
Only members have access to all features.
Click here to join HOATalk for Free! Members click here to login and access all features.
Subject: New Condo Owner but president will not return my calls
Prev Next
Please login to post a reply (click Member Login on the menu).
Author Messages
CathyW
(Michigan)

06/13/2006 2:56 PM  
I just moved in a Condo for which I was going to rent and when I did move in someone in the building had already spreaded lies about I have violated some rules and had to paid a fine. They contact the President and told him these lies and he never tried to find out if it was true. Well, then the owner was told that they have reached their rental limited that she would have to evict me or they would put her Condo into forecloser. Okay, now we have entered into a Purchase Agreement which is to be recorded and now the Board Committees and President will not answer to me or give me copies of the by laws. The Owner never had a copy of the by laws when she made the purchase either.

Can anyone tell me what to do with this situation?
HaroldS
(Arizona)

06/13/2006 4:08 PM  
Well Cathy - my first inclination would be to tell you to run, not walk, away from this situation. You have already gotten a taste of how this condo operates. That doesn't mean all condos are like that, but I wonder why you would even consider buying into this one with the experiences you've had already. You should have been given a complete set of governing documents to read BEFORE you signed your purchase agreement. You need to start asking questions with your realtor and the title company. Harold
BrianB
(California)

06/14/2006 2:38 PM  
this raises an interesting question: if no CC&R's are given to a prosepective buyer, is a contract actually entered into? Can the rules be enforced if they are never presented?

And who must provide the documents? The HOA? The Title Company? The realtor?

i agree with harold: run away.

If you can't, then get a copy of the CC&R's, and send a letter to the board stating that until you receive a copy, and for 45 days afterwards, none of their rules are enforceable. It isn't truly legal, but it will light a fire.
CathyW
(Michigan)

06/15/2006 11:54 AM  
Well Harold,
I purchase the Condo assuming this would settle all the issues with the rules and regulations. I did not come to this community to cause trouble or break any rules.

The President of the Board insisted that the only way I would be part of this community was if I was a Owner. Well now that I am he refuse to answer or return any of my phone calls or cooperate.

Well, now I am trying to find a way to get out of this, but I am not the type of person that let someone run me away, I try to solve the problem first. I know this is what they want me to do is leave, because wnen I first moved in they treated me with no respect. The Condo's are build on top of each other, so nothing but complaints.

I have a older son live with me, but yet they said I have kids jumping and running all day and night. I don't have grandchildren either.

Well, its just a big mess.,,,,,,

Thanks for response.
CathyW
(Michigan)

06/15/2006 12:05 PM  
Brian,

I already left a message with them about the charges, refusing to pay because I did not get any copies of the CC&R's. The 2 Owners before me were never given any CC&R's either.

Otherwords, I feel these charges cannot be enforce to me about violating a rule, since the rules has not been presented to me.

Now, since I did thi-----He will not return any calls--I just want to find out how to get all the information about this HOA's and what rights they have. The Board is mostly family members.

Good luck to me....

Thanks Brian
LisaS
(Illinois)

06/16/2006 2:49 PM  
You are bound by the documents regardless of whether you have seen them or not if they are properly recorded. If they are recorded, the 'run with the land' and are attached to your deed.

The title compnay should have advised you as to whether there were recorded covenants. The previous owner should have provided you with these documents, as they were the then-current member of the HOA.

You mention that you have signed a purchase agreement. If this is the case, then you are in the process of purchase, but not yet the owner. While most HOA's would not have a probelm with giving you the documents either way, this is likely the misunderstanding.

As well, if you are not yet the owner and still only have a purchase agreement, the fines should not be against you. You are not yet a member of the association. They would be against the owner you are buying from.

Lisa
Please login to post a reply (click Member Login on the menu).
Forums > Homeowner Association > HOA Discussions > New Condo Owner but president will not return my calls

Get 1 year of free community web site hosting from Community123.com!

Only members have access to all features.
Click here to join HOATalk for Free! Members click here to login and access all features.

General Legal Notice:  The content of forum messages are from the posting member and have not been reviewed nor endorsed by HOATalk.com.  Messages posted by HOATalk or other members are for informational purposes only, are not legal or professional advice and do not constitute an attorney-client relationship.  Readers should not act upon this information without seeking professional counsel.  HOATalk is not a licensed attorney, CPA, tax advisor, financial advisor or any other licensed professional.  HOATalk accepts ads from sponsors but does not verify sponsor qualifications nor endorse/guarantee any sponsor's product or service.
Legal Notice For Messages Posted by Sponsoring Attorneys: This message has been prepared by the sponsoring attorney for informational purposes only and does not constitute legal advice. This information is not intended to create, and receipt of it does not constitute an attorney-client relationship. Readers of HOATalk.com should not act on this information without seeking professional counsel. Please do not send any sponsoring attorney confidential information unless you speak with the sponsoring attorney or an attorney from the sponsoring attorney’s firm and get authorization to send that information to them. If you wish to initiate possible representation, please contact an attorney in the firm of the sponsoring attorney. Sponsoring attorneys that post messages here are licensed to practice law in a specific state or states as indicated in their message signature or sponsor’s profile page. (NOTE: A ‘sponsoring attorney’ is an attorney that is a HOATalk.com official sponsor and is identified as such in the posted message or on our sponsor page.)

Copyright HOA Talk.com, A Service of Community123 LLC ( Homeowners Association Discussions )   Terms Of Use  Privacy Statement