Get 1 year of free community web site hosting from Community123.com!
Wednesday, October 20, 2021

HOATalk is a free service of Community123.com:

Easy to use website tools to help your board
Only members have access to all features.
Click here to join HOATalk for Free! Members click here to login and access all features.
Subject: composting
Prev Next
Please login to post a reply (click Member Login on the menu).
Author Messages
LeslieW1
(Virginia)

10/16/2021 7:19 AM  
Most of the homes in our HOA are on 1/10th acre lots. One member wants to install a "compost tumbler." Has anyone dealt with composting on individual lots or the possibility of a community compost facility.

KellyM3
(North Carolina)

10/16/2021 7:23 AM  
Hi Leslie,

I'd view a compost facility as another amenity that will require regular maintenance, like a machine.

Those residential compost bins don't seem very large and I don't see why they'd be an issue if responsibly self-managed.

SheliaH
(Indiana)

10/16/2021 7:29 AM  
Our church community garden has one - right now, it's the size that would be used in a small garden, but we're hoping to add more.

As Kelly said, maintenance is key - not everything is appropriate for compost and you can create a lot of problems with vermin and smell if you don't take care of it. If you have a resident interested in this, have him or her do the research, starting with polling homeowners to see if anyone's interested. He or she also needs to look into size, cost (perhaps interested homeowners can pay a separate fee for maintenance?), who's going to check it regularly, possible signage advising people what is and isn't appropriate, distributing the compost once it's ready, when that should be done, etc. Report all this to the board with recommendations.
PatJ1
(North Carolina)

10/16/2021 7:48 AM  
Leslie,

Is there anything in the HOA'S governing documents that restrict an owner from composting in any format? Tumbler, open pen, worm composter?

Board members are volunteers. Many have no idea what they're doing. Educate them. Don't beat them up.
LeslieW1
(Virginia)

10/16/2021 8:02 AM  
Nothing in our governing documents on composting. Covenants have a prohibition on doing anything on or in a residential unit which may be, or may become, an annoyance or nuisance to the Association or any of its Members.

There is neighborhood concern that, without constant attention by an individual owner to maintain the necessary balance between kitchen and yard waste, a compost tumbler will smell and attract bears, foxes and rodents. We have all three in the vicinity and, to keep them away, neighbors have largely removed their birdfeeders.

LetA
(Nevada)

10/16/2021 1:06 PM  
unless your governing documents in some way prohibit it. Composting is good and produces great soil for planting a garden. When I was a kid my neighbor composted everything from dog droppings
grass clippings and egg shells. I wish we had the climate here in Vegas to compost. The only thing I compost currently are egg shells and coffee grounds.

I have seen those small compost bins. It looks like it takes up a smaller space than a small LP BBQ grill. Are they any good?
MelissaP1
(Alabama)

10/16/2021 3:51 PM  
I have one that goes on kitchen counter. Has some bio degradable bags put in it. Makes it handy for small household stuff. Our city also has a composting group on Facebook. May want to see if your city has a composting program. If you have a botantical Garden they may be able to guide you to a suggestion.

Otherwise, having lived in a small yard composting would be a bit hard to do. Plus have to consider the smell if one doesn't do it right. I think you can make one in a 55 gallon trash can.

A good thing to do also is to raise worms. Sounds odd but worms are a good business. I would not mix it with any HOA funds. Just maybe use it for like a community pot luck or fund a neighborhood watch.

Former HOA President
JohnC46
(South Carolina)

10/17/2021 9:26 AM  
Posted By LeslieW1 on 10/16/2021 8:02 AM
Nothing in our governing documents on composting. Covenants have a prohibition on doing anything on or in a residential unit which may be, or may become, an annoyance or nuisance to the Association or any of its Members.

There is neighborhood concern that, without constant attention by an individual owner to maintain the necessary balance between kitchen and yard waste, a compost tumbler will smell and attract bears, foxes and rodents. We have all three in the vicinity and, to keep them away, neighbors have largely removed their birdfeeders.

Leslie

I do not see a compost barrel drawing more critters then a trash barrel will.
PatJ1
(North Carolina)

10/17/2021 10:01 AM  
We are condo's and everything outside is community property. Once had a resident dig a hole outside their back door and start throwing everything into it including their dog's poop. We had to shut that down. Had it been one of those small tumble bins on their back patio we probably would have never known it was there.

They then had a worm compost tower on their rear patio and it remained until their interest in their project went away, but we didn't have any problems with it since it wasn't a violation.

Our governing documents allow for vegetable gardens within 6 feet of the rear of our condo's. They also allow the planting of annuals in the front of our units.

Did the member approach the board for permission, or was it just mentioned in passing? Unless it become a nuisance that could fall under a violation, I can't see how the HOA can prohibit it on a single family lot.

We've tossed around the idea of a community garden and compost pile. Turned out nobody was really interested an, thankfully, the idea passed. Seemed no one thought about water access, deer fencing, and who was going to maintain.

People can come up with good concerns, but fail to think about how to implement/maintain them.

Board members are volunteers. Many have no idea what they're doing. Educate them. Don't beat them up.
SheliaH
(Indiana)

10/17/2021 11:24 AM  
Nope, that's supposed to be the BOARD'S job, remember - someone suggests (or demands) something, and poof, the board waves its collective hand and makes it so!

Back to composting tumblers - one thing you DON'T toss in there is dog poop. In fact, I don't think any carnivore poop is supposed to go in a compost bin. Unfortunately, people don't read and figure it's all waste anyway and use it like an extra trash can.

I just saw a YouTube video on using leaves in composting and other gardening tasks, such as mulch. One idea was to gather up the fallen leaves and put it in a homemade bin made out of posts and chicken wire. Over winter, the stuff slowly breaks down and can be added to soil in the spring to build it up or place atop a conventional compost pile or in a bin.

While this homeowner is doing research (tell him without it, the board can't and won't consider the idea), he might look around on the YouTube site and see if he can find similar ideas that may require a little less maintenance.
Please login to post a reply (click Member Login on the menu).

Only members have access to all features.
Click here to join HOATalk for Free! Members click here to login and access all features.

General Legal Notice:  The content of forum messages are from the posting member and have not been reviewed nor endorsed by HOATalk.com.  Messages posted by HOATalk or other members are for informational purposes only, are not legal or professional advice and do not constitute an attorney-client relationship.  Readers should not act upon this information without seeking professional counsel.  HOATalk is not a licensed attorney, CPA, tax advisor, financial advisor or any other licensed professional.  HOATalk accepts ads from sponsors but does not verify sponsor qualifications nor endorse/guarantee any sponsor's product or service.
Legal Notice For Messages Posted by Sponsoring Attorneys: This message has been prepared by the sponsoring attorney for informational purposes only and does not constitute legal advice. This information is not intended to create, and receipt of it does not constitute an attorney-client relationship. Readers of HOATalk.com should not act on this information without seeking professional counsel. Please do not send any sponsoring attorney confidential information unless you speak with the sponsoring attorney or an attorney from the sponsoring attorney’s firm and get authorization to send that information to them. If you wish to initiate possible representation, please contact an attorney in the firm of the sponsoring attorney. Sponsoring attorneys that post messages here are licensed to practice law in a specific state or states as indicated in their message signature or sponsor’s profile page. (NOTE: A ‘sponsoring attorney’ is an attorney that is a HOATalk.com official sponsor and is identified as such in the posted message or on our sponsor page.)

Copyright HOA Talk.com, A Service of Community123 LLC ( Homeowners Association Discussions )   Terms Of Use  Privacy Statement