Get 1 year of free community web site hosting from Community123.com!
Wednesday, October 20, 2021

HOATalk is a free service of Community123.com:

Easy to use website tools to help your board
Only members have access to all features.
Click here to join HOATalk for Free! Members click here to login and access all features.
Subject: Nuisance or troll?
Prev Next
Please login to post a reply (click Member Login on the menu).
Author Messages
PatJ1
(North Carolina)

10/07/2021 4:02 PM  
We need the ability to ignore non offensive posters that hijack posts and offer no useful information.

Board members are volunteers. Many have no idea what they're doing. Educate them. Don't beat them up.
MichaelH34
(North Carolina)

10/07/2021 4:06 PM  
Seems like this is pretty much the wild west, without even any moderators.
PatJ1
(North Carolina)

10/07/2021 4:55 PM  
Posted By MichaelH34 on 10/07/2021 4:06 PM
Seems like this is pretty much the wild west, without even any moderators.

Been here for many years and this was not the way it was until recently.

Board members are volunteers. Many have no idea what they're doing. Educate them. Don't beat them up.
KerryL1
(California)

10/07/2021 5:49 PM  
I think the referent is both a troll and a nuisance. Obviously, someone with nothing productive to do.
SheliaH
(Indiana)

10/08/2021 5:35 AM  
That's your opinion Max, and you know what they say about opinions and a-holes - everyone has one. You don't have to agree with what's written - people should be capable of taking some, none, or all of what's said and if it works, hooray. Yes, I know you've run a property management company and served on an HOA board, but that doesn't mean you know EVERYTHING. Life is constantly evolving and you will continue to learn something (or not) until it's time for you to take your dirt nap. Make your suggestion and be done with it.

I've always said this isn't an amen corner. Sometimes people come here with their minds already made up and want approval. When they're asked for more information or offered suggestions on what may really be happening they get mad because they're so convinced they're right. It never downs on them that there is another side (usually several) to consider, and that they may actually be wrong.

The trolling is one of the many double-edged swords in social media. There are people who try to help and others who just want to stir up nonsense then sit back and watch things explode - similar to using a magnifying glass to kill ants. You know these people wouldn't say half this crap in person because they don't want to get royally cussed out or worse. Or have someone point out their BS in front of everyone. Personally, I've learned to ignore what I consider foolishness and try to avoid name-calling. If all else fails, I go do something else.
MaxB4

10/08/2021 1:27 PM  
Posted By SheliaH on 10/08/2021 5:35 AM
That's your opinion Max, and you know what they say about opinions and a-holes - everyone has one. You don't have to agree with what's written - people should be capable of taking some, none, or all of what's said and if it works, hooray. Yes, I know you've run a property management company and served on an HOA board, but that doesn't mean you know EVERYTHING. Life is constantly evolving and you will continue to learn something (or not) until it's time for you to take your dirt nap. Make your suggestion and be done with it.

I've always said this isn't an amen corner. Sometimes people come here with their minds already made up and want approval. When they're asked for more information or offered suggestions on what may really be happening they get mad because they're so convinced they're right. It never downs on them that there is another side (usually several) to consider, and that they may actually be wrong.

The trolling is one of the many double-edged swords in social media. There are people who try to help and others who just want to stir up nonsense then sit back and watch things explode - similar to using a magnifying glass to kill ants. You know these people wouldn't say half this crap in person because they don't want to get royally cussed out or worse. Or have someone point out their BS in front of everyone. Personally, I've learned to ignore what I consider foolishness and try to avoid name-calling. If all else fails, I go do something else.

EXCUSE ME!
BenA2
(Texas)

10/08/2021 3:14 PM  
Shirley, we already have the ability to ignore posts. Yes, that was a non-useful Airplane reference.

It would be nice to have a moderator and to be able to block some posts.
JohnC46
(South Carolina)

10/09/2021 2:08 PM  
A lot of the postings are a pissing contest between MAX and Aug.
JohnC46
(South Carolina)

10/09/2021 2:10 PM  
Posted By JohnC46 on 10/09/2021 2:08 PM
A lot of the postings are a pissing contest between MAX and Aug.

ADD ON

I enjoy what each has to say but they have to stop pissing on each others leg.
Please login to post a reply (click Member Login on the menu).

Only members have access to all features.
Click here to join HOATalk for Free! Members click here to login and access all features.

General Legal Notice:  The content of forum messages are from the posting member and have not been reviewed nor endorsed by HOATalk.com.  Messages posted by HOATalk or other members are for informational purposes only, are not legal or professional advice and do not constitute an attorney-client relationship.  Readers should not act upon this information without seeking professional counsel.  HOATalk is not a licensed attorney, CPA, tax advisor, financial advisor or any other licensed professional.  HOATalk accepts ads from sponsors but does not verify sponsor qualifications nor endorse/guarantee any sponsor's product or service.
Legal Notice For Messages Posted by Sponsoring Attorneys: This message has been prepared by the sponsoring attorney for informational purposes only and does not constitute legal advice. This information is not intended to create, and receipt of it does not constitute an attorney-client relationship. Readers of HOATalk.com should not act on this information without seeking professional counsel. Please do not send any sponsoring attorney confidential information unless you speak with the sponsoring attorney or an attorney from the sponsoring attorney’s firm and get authorization to send that information to them. If you wish to initiate possible representation, please contact an attorney in the firm of the sponsoring attorney. Sponsoring attorneys that post messages here are licensed to practice law in a specific state or states as indicated in their message signature or sponsor’s profile page. (NOTE: A ‘sponsoring attorney’ is an attorney that is a HOATalk.com official sponsor and is identified as such in the posted message or on our sponsor page.)

Copyright HOA Talk.com, A Service of Community123 LLC ( Homeowners Association Discussions )   Terms Of Use  Privacy Statement