Get 1 year of free community web site hosting from Community123.com!
Friday, December 03, 2021

HOATalk is a free service of Community123.com:

Easy to use website tools to help your board
Only members have access to all features.
Click here to join HOATalk for Free! Members click here to login and access all features.
Subject: Do your CCRs have an “esthetics” clause?
Prev Next
Please login to post a reply (click Member Login on the menu).
Author Messages
BrettH3
(South Carolina)

09/20/2021 6:05 AM  
Our ARC allows denial based on esthetics alone. For example, one homeowner had a triple parking pad for the three-car garage, while on the board he quietly poured a fourth pad, then when off the board he applied for a 5th parking pad. The ARC denied his application because there were no 5-car pads in the neighborhood. Do your CCRs have an esthetics clause? Do you deny ARCs that are outside what’s usual in your neighborhood?
MichaelS56
(Minnesota)

09/20/2021 7:18 AM  
I am baffled that the ARC continues to cause so many difficulties for Boards and Associations. The ARC should not be making final decisions, the Board of Directors should be the part of the decision making process that makes the final decision.
SheliaH
(Indiana)

09/20/2021 7:44 AM  
I agree with Michael, but it would appear your documents aren't helping when it states denials can be based on esthetics alone. Today's board may say they don't like four or five pad garages, but when that board is replaced by another one down the road, they can easily say "what's the problem?" and allow it.

By the way, why didn't the board do anything when the former board member poured the fourth pad? Personally, I'd deny the 5th based on that alone - he/she didn't ask for the permission with #4, so why the hell would he think he'd get away with #5? If he wants to threaten lawsuit, let him and he can explain to the judge.

Exterior change requests should consider the overall design of the community which isn't necessarily based on esthetics. For example, the documents may disallow sheds because they may be too big for the yard or the materials don't hold up very well after years of use. Swimming pools may create landscaping issues or disuse/neglect may result in a huge breeding ground for mosquitos - I know all the talk these days is on COVID, but people need to remember that stuff like West Nile hasn't gone anywhere.

Once you address with this board member, perhaps it's time to reconsider that part of the documents and talk to homeowners about amending it (because your documents probably require homeowner approval.) To replace it, the board could come up with some design standards to be applied to landscaping or whatever you want to apply them to. Your documents may allow the board to enact additional rules as long as they don't supersede the CCRs, so if you want to go with that, you should be more specific on things like colors, materials, and perhaps design. The homeowners should also have a voice in this and every few years the standards should be reviewed to be amended as necessary.
CathyA3
(Ohio)

09/20/2021 8:12 AM  
When I think of "esthetics", I think of colors, choices of materials, etc. A parking pad is a functional item, and additional concrete can affect water runoff and drainage - the fact that it may be ugly doesn't change its functional nature.

So I'd analyze the request based on that. If the entire community decided to pay their yards, your storm water system may not handle it - and if you allow one person to do it, then you'd have to allow others to as well.
CathyA3
(Ohio)

09/20/2021 8:13 AM  
Posted By CathyA3 on 09/20/2021 8:12 AM
When I think of "esthetics", I think of colors, choices of materials, etc. A parking pad is a functional item, and additional concrete can affect water runoff and drainage - the fact that it may be ugly doesn't change its functional nature.

So I'd analyze the request based on that. If the entire community decided to pay their yards, your storm water system may not handle it - and if you allow one person to do it, then you'd have to allow others to as well.

PAVE their yards. My kingdom for an edit button...
AugustinD

09/20/2021 8:29 AM  
Posted By CathyA3 on 09/20/2021 8:12 AM
A parking pad is a functional item, and additional concrete can affect water runoff and drainage
Good catch. Drainage is a very big deal with city land use departments. It's also a big deal practically speaking. Cities heavily regulate how much impermeable surface is allowed in a development.

I would take this person with the additional unapproved pads to the mat. It's a dangerous precedent that so far, appears to be set. I do not care one bit if he's a director. If I were on this Board, I think I might even recommend consulting the HOA attorney about whether the board could and should take the unusual step of kicking him off the board for this, to protect the HOA; and as a fiduciary duty.

Else as others indicated, design standards should not be vague. "Vague" is an invitation to disputes and possibly litigation, especially as Boards and ARC's change. The courts do not like vague.
MaxB4
(California)

09/20/2021 9:12 AM  
Posted By MichaelS56 on 09/20/2021 7:18 AM
I am baffled that the ARC continues to cause so many difficulties for Boards and Associations. The ARC should not be making final decisions, the Board of Directors should be the part of the decision making process that makes the final decision.

It depends on the CCRs. Sorry, but there are HOA's that the ARC does have final say.
BenA2
(Texas)

09/20/2021 11:09 AM  

This varies from HOA to HOA and state to state but in ours, the ARC is completely separate from the board because the board is the body that would hear an appeal for an ARC decision. In fact, Texas recently passed a law prohibiting board members from serving on the ARC to avoid any conflict between the two groups. In our situation, the board stay clear of the decision process in case there is an appeal.
BenA2
(Texas)

09/20/2021 11:09 AM  

This varies from HOA to HOA and state to state but in ours, the ARC is completely separate from the board because the board is the body that would hear an appeal for an ARC decision. In fact, Texas recently passed a law prohibiting board members from serving on the ARC to avoid any conflict between the two groups. In our situation, the board stay clear of the decision process in case there is an appeal.
AugustinD

09/20/2021 11:19 AM  
In every Declaration I have seen, and post-Declarant, the Board appoints the members of the ARC. If the Board is not happy with a decision, or if there is a process for appealing a denial to the Board, then the Board can either overrule the ARC outright or replace its members.
LoriM15
(Florida)

09/20/2021 11:37 AM  
Back to aesthetics. Our declaration does have a clause that says that changes "must be harmonious" with the rest of the neighborhood. When we were redoing the documents, our attorney told us that clauses such as that are basically unenforceable. Too vague. So when we rewrote the documents, we put in very specific standards in our architectural review guidelines and our rules and regulations.

Instead of relying on "harmonious" colors and the taste of the architectural review board, we now have a list of colors that must be used. We lay out things like mailboxes, driveways, etc. We tried not to leave anything to chance. Yes, it's a lot of work but at least we can try and enforce now.

Our rules for driveways is that they can't be wider than the width of the garage. But our lots are narrow so there wouldn't be room for more pads unless they were in the front yard.

I agree that if someone expanded their driveway without approval they need to have a violation. You don't want to get into selective enforcement.
JohnC46
(South Carolina)

09/20/2021 1:54 PM  
Our Covenants call for "maintaining a common look" and as the association does all front and side landscaping of each home, we do not allow owners to deviate from our standards. They can and must replace dead anything but only with an identical product. Each backyard has 7ft privacy fenced and owners can pretty much do anything back there.

Our lawyer advised us as the BOD has the final say over the ARC, do not even bother with an ARC. Make the BOD the ARC.
JohnC46
(South Carolina)

09/20/2021 1:54 PM  
Posted By BrettH3 on 09/20/2021 6:05 AM
Our ARC allows denial based on esthetics alone. For example, one homeowner had a triple parking pad for the three-car garage, while on the board he quietly poured a fourth pad, then when off the board he applied for a 5th parking pad. The ARC denied his application because there were no 5-car pads in the neighborhood. Do your CCRs have an esthetics clause? Do you deny ARCs that are outside what’s usual in your neighborhood?

Sounds like he is creating a parking lot.
MichaelS56
(Minnesota)

09/20/2021 4:13 PM  
John, the purpose of our ARC is to make sure that all of the paper work is correct, answer questions that the resident may have, and to make sure that the request is in guidelines of the Association. If the ARC believe that the request is valid then the committee will "recommend approval". If they believe that the request does not fall within the Association guidelines, then the committee will not recommend approval and list the reasons.
Please login to post a reply (click Member Login on the menu).
Forums > Homeowner Association > HOA Discussions > Do your CCRs have an “esthetics” clause?

Only members have access to all features.
Click here to join HOATalk for Free! Members click here to login and access all features.

General Legal Notice:  The content of forum messages are from the posting member and have not been reviewed nor endorsed by HOATalk.com.  Messages posted by HOATalk or other members are for informational purposes only, are not legal or professional advice and do not constitute an attorney-client relationship.  Readers should not act upon this information without seeking professional counsel.  HOATalk is not a licensed attorney, CPA, tax advisor, financial advisor or any other licensed professional.  HOATalk accepts ads from sponsors but does not verify sponsor qualifications nor endorse/guarantee any sponsor's product or service.
Legal Notice For Messages Posted by Sponsoring Attorneys: This message has been prepared by the sponsoring attorney for informational purposes only and does not constitute legal advice. This information is not intended to create, and receipt of it does not constitute an attorney-client relationship. Readers of HOATalk.com should not act on this information without seeking professional counsel. Please do not send any sponsoring attorney confidential information unless you speak with the sponsoring attorney or an attorney from the sponsoring attorney’s firm and get authorization to send that information to them. If you wish to initiate possible representation, please contact an attorney in the firm of the sponsoring attorney. Sponsoring attorneys that post messages here are licensed to practice law in a specific state or states as indicated in their message signature or sponsor’s profile page. (NOTE: A ‘sponsoring attorney’ is an attorney that is a HOATalk.com official sponsor and is identified as such in the posted message or on our sponsor page.)

Copyright HOA Talk.com, A Service of Community123 LLC ( Homeowners Association Discussions )   Terms Of Use  Privacy Statement