Get 1 year of free community web site hosting from Community123.com!
Wednesday, October 27, 2021

HOATalk is a free service of Community123.com:

Easy to use website tools to help your board
Only members have access to all features.
Click here to join HOATalk for Free! Members click here to login and access all features.
Subject: Real Estate Agent and HOA Manager
Prev Next
Please login to post a reply (click Member Login on the menu).
Author Messages
TomG14
(Pennsylvania)

09/14/2021 2:39 PM  
Is there a conflict of interest if a broker/agent is also the hoa/coa manager. Can part of their management contract/payment arrangement be that they have exclusive right to sell or rent units?
MaxB4

09/14/2021 2:54 PM  
No and Yes
ND
(PA)

09/14/2021 3:17 PM  
Posted By TomG14 on 09/14/2021 2:39 PM
Is there a conflict of interest if a broker/agent is also the hoa/coa manager...

There could be.
...Can part of their management contract/payment arrangement be that they have exclusive right to sell or rent units?

It could be I suppose. But this to me could also be the source/cause of the conflict of interest.

In theory a broker/agent who has exclusive rights to sell/rent units has a vested interest in decisions made by the Board and the activities that they carry out as HOA manager and the manner in which they carry out those activities.
BenA2
(Texas)

09/14/2021 3:38 PM  
If the broker/agent has exclusive rights to sell or rent then there is very likely a conflict, especially if the manager position has any control over the rent or sales price. If they have zero control over the broker/agent then there probably would not be a conflict since they would not benefit personally from any decisions they made.

I do think there will be a perception of a conflict of interest which will probably affect the owners' trust in the manager.

BenA2
(Texas)

09/14/2021 3:40 PM  
Also, I think this might violate anti-competition laws in some states if not federal law.
CathyA3
(Ohio)

09/14/2021 5:35 PM  
Is there a conflict of interest if a broker/agent is also the hoa/coa manager. Can part of their management contract/payment arrangement be that they have exclusive right to sell or rent units?

Does hiring this person provide any benefit to the HOA in exchange for that exclusive right that you couldn't get from a different manager with no concession?

If a conflict of interest arises, who draws the short straw: the HOA or the broker?

If a conflict of interest arises and the broker/PM is unable to perform a function that is part of their list of obligations under the contract, how do you plan to resolve that?

What about sellers' right to choose the broker with whom they want to deal? How do you plan to enforce the broker's exclusive right if homeowners are not party to the contract with the PM? (It's the HOA corporation that is party to the contract, not individual owners.)

TL/DR: Not a good idea.

JohnT38
(South Carolina)

09/14/2021 5:44 PM  
I agree with Cathy's comment, "What about sellers' right to choose the broker with whom they want to deal? How do you plan to enforce the broker's exclusive right if homeowners are not party to the contract with the PM?"

I also would ask, if the governing documents don't give the HOA the authority to do this how could this possibly be kosher?
In my neck of the woods you can negotiate the Real Estate commission and I would not want to give up this ability.
MelissaP1
(Alabama)

09/15/2021 4:10 AM  
I don't see a problem with this. It gets me how everyone wants to make this a "conflict of interest" thing. I'd be more concerned if the person was an accountant. They know how to handle money or hide it... LOL!

Selling Real Estate is a job. Also requires a license. Which comes with a certain code of ethics to follow. People also confuse HOA's as "Property". It isn't. It's a corporation. It is just made up of property owners.

My opinion of Realtors isn't the highest. They are more like "used car sales people of the housing industry". However, that doesn't mean they can't be involved in their HOA as a member of it.

Former HOA President
CathyA3
(Ohio)

09/15/2021 5:07 AM  
Posted By JohnT38 on 09/14/2021 5:44 PM
I agree with Cathy's comment, "What about sellers' right to choose the broker with whom they want to deal? How do you plan to enforce the broker's exclusive right if homeowners are not party to the contract with the PM?"

I also would ask, if the governing documents don't give the HOA the authority to do this how could this possibly be kosher?
In my neck of the woods you can negotiate the Real Estate commission and I would not want to give up this ability.

The more I thought about it, the more I've decided that this is a legal deal breaker as John says. And what about the folks who want to do a For Sale by Owner? Is the HOA going to tell them that they can't? Good luck with that.

There are other practical difficulties. For instance, what if there is an emergency that requires prompt attention from the PM (eg. a broken water pipe), and the PM is out showing homes or attending a closing? What happens if delay results in more extensive damage? Which of the two will the PM regard as their primary job, with the other a part-time "get to it when you can" job? It's likely that the HOA would draw the short straw.

This arrangement could work if the HOA is just looking for a bookkeeper, which truly can be a part-time "get to it when you can" job. But you still have to ask what benefit hiring a realtor would provide over hiring a regular bookkeeper.

It still looks to me that the realtor/PM benefits more than the HOA in the proposed arrangement, which makes it questionable even if there is no conflict of interest - and once money is involved, then a conflict of interest is inevitable.
AugustinD

09/15/2021 6:03 AM  

This.

Party X (the HOA/COA) cannot create a[n enforceable] contract between Party Y (the HOA/COA manager) and Z (a unit owner), unless perhaps the Declaration gives Party X this right.

It would be like the HOA/COA contracting with Starbucks to provide every unit's yearly coffee supply. Without authority in the governing documents, the courts would never enforce such a contract.
CathyA3
(Ohio)

09/15/2021 7:21 AM  
Posted By AugustinD on 09/15/2021 6:03 AM

This.

Party X (the HOA/COA) cannot create a[n enforceable] contract between Party Y (the HOA/COA manager) and Z (a unit owner), unless perhaps the Declaration gives Party X this right.

It would be like the HOA/COA contracting with Starbucks to provide every unit's yearly coffee supply. Without authority in the governing documents, the courts would never enforce such a contract.

I recently saw an article about a court case in California (about a different issue) in which the court ruled that an association can't add a restriction that was not in force at the time the owner bought the property. (This raises questions about amending CC&Rs in general, but that's a topic for another time. I suspect nuance and details were involved.)

Anyway, an arrangement like the OP suggested *may* be OK if it existed from the beginning and buyers understood that this is what they were getting. It may work in communities where the HOA has a right of first refusal for buyers and tenants, but many HOA/COA CC&Rs don't allow that level of intrusiveness.
JohnC46
(South Carolina)

09/15/2021 10:46 AM  

Is there a conflict of interest if a broker/agent is also the hoa/coa manager.
I say no conflict

Can part of their management contract/payment arrangement be that they have exclusive right to sell or rent units?
I would never go for that. That is conflic.
MaxB4

09/15/2021 12:23 PM  
I have never believed that a company that specializes in rentals and real estate sales should be managing HOA's, at least under the same roof or corporate name. What if the owner was using the management company to manage their unit as a rental with the same company that the MC is also managing. It is quite possible that the property manager of the HOA doesn't know about the arrangement with the landlord. Generally, they are not up to speed with HOA laws in their specific states, as I know this is common in California.

If there is a clause in their contract about exclusive selling rights, that is on the Board and/or the attorney. Should never be allowed, although I coud see this in a developer situation.
Please login to post a reply (click Member Login on the menu).
Forums > Homeowner Association > HOA Discussions > Real Estate Agent and HOA Manager

Only members have access to all features.
Click here to join HOATalk for Free! Members click here to login and access all features.

General Legal Notice:  The content of forum messages are from the posting member and have not been reviewed nor endorsed by HOATalk.com.  Messages posted by HOATalk or other members are for informational purposes only, are not legal or professional advice and do not constitute an attorney-client relationship.  Readers should not act upon this information without seeking professional counsel.  HOATalk is not a licensed attorney, CPA, tax advisor, financial advisor or any other licensed professional.  HOATalk accepts ads from sponsors but does not verify sponsor qualifications nor endorse/guarantee any sponsor's product or service.
Legal Notice For Messages Posted by Sponsoring Attorneys: This message has been prepared by the sponsoring attorney for informational purposes only and does not constitute legal advice. This information is not intended to create, and receipt of it does not constitute an attorney-client relationship. Readers of HOATalk.com should not act on this information without seeking professional counsel. Please do not send any sponsoring attorney confidential information unless you speak with the sponsoring attorney or an attorney from the sponsoring attorney’s firm and get authorization to send that information to them. If you wish to initiate possible representation, please contact an attorney in the firm of the sponsoring attorney. Sponsoring attorneys that post messages here are licensed to practice law in a specific state or states as indicated in their message signature or sponsor’s profile page. (NOTE: A ‘sponsoring attorney’ is an attorney that is a HOATalk.com official sponsor and is identified as such in the posted message or on our sponsor page.)

Copyright HOA Talk.com, A Service of Community123 LLC ( Homeowners Association Discussions )   Terms Of Use  Privacy Statement