Get 1 year of free community web site hosting from Community123.com!
Sunday, September 26, 2021

HOATalk is a free service of Community123.com:

Easy to use website tools to help your board
Only members have access to all features.
Click here to join HOATalk for Free! Members click here to login and access all features.
Subject: What percentage of the board must live on property?
Prev Next
Please login to post a reply (click Member Login on the menu).
Author Messages
ChristinaW2
(California)

07/21/2021 2:41 PM  
We have 2 out of 5 living elsewhere. In my 23 years living here this has never happened before. I'm not running again because we have a rubber stamp situation with the two and the president who basically sets the agenda to suit his needs. Very frustrating as more and more owners are renting out their property.

Is there a rule that addresses this to protect those of us older owners on fixed incomes?
MelissaP1
(Alabama)

07/21/2021 2:58 PM  
0% have to live on the premises unless stated otherwise. Just have to be an owner to be on the board or HOA member. Living onsite is not a requirement that I know of.

Former HOA President
ChristinaW2
(California)

07/21/2021 3:10 PM  
I believe the problem is that owners no longer know who lives on the property and who rents. It makes it nearly impossible to get a real assessor of candidates. Our management co. hasn't put out that information. I've tried to get a contact sheet. It hasn't been updated since we self managed. The new majority is loathe to put one out.
SheliaH
(Indiana)

07/21/2021 3:35 PM  
This is why I take a dim view towards owner landlords. All they seem to care about is the rent check and keeping their costs down ( why is why some balk at doing anything significant regarding reserves. They don't educate their tenants, who for in the community and raise help and they certainly don' step in to help resolve problems. For sone, it's out of sifht, out of mind and they leave the owner occupants to serve on the board and basically supervise THEIR tenants.

I've seen your situation in my own community, and unfortunately, things may slow down as more and more owners rent and aren't there to see what's actually happening in the community. Until problems start hitting them in the wallet, the only thing you can do is enforce the rules as best you can and go hard on delinquencies (owner landlords have a bad habit of going delinquent and it can be hard to collect when they live across town or the country (and sometimes across the ocean).
KerryL1
(California)

07/21/2021 4:40 PM  
In CA, the only qualification is to be an owner. I'm sorry to hear that you're in such a predicament, Cristina. What size is your HOA? How many on the Board? Some here may advise you to move, but others of us know that often is not easy or even possible.

Your HOA should have official election rules --the new ones are required in CA since 1/20. But even if your HOA has them --and I suspect they don't, I don't think they will help you. If you're having an election to the board in mid Nov, the PM should have already sent out a request for candidates to apply.

Since you're on the Board, you should know that your management company is required to give you a list of owners and their addresses when you request it in writing. So if your PM won't even do that, I just don't know what your recourse is. In other situations, it's always good to get out there and rally your fellow homeowners to offer up candidates. but it doesn't sound like you're willing & able to do that. It takes a lot of work.

There is no rule, statute or law to protect older owners from uncaring landlords.

Perhaps the best you can do is, as Sheila advises, report violations over and over again until they're cured. Get your neighbors to do the same. Board meetings in CA are supposed to be open to owners. Attend and get neighbors attend too and speak up during open forum.
DouglasK1
(Florida)

07/21/2021 4:53 PM  
Posted By ChristinaW2 on 07/21/2021 3:10 PM
I believe the problem is that owners no longer know who lives on the property and who rents. It makes it nearly impossible to get a real assessor of candidates. Our management co. hasn't put out that information. I've tried to get a contact sheet. It hasn't been updated since we self managed. The new majority is loathe to put one out.

Candidates for the board can try to determine if other candidates live on-site, and if not, make it a campaign issue.

Escaped former treasurer and director of a self managed association.
ChristinaW2
(California)

07/21/2021 7:28 PM  

We are a complex of 34 units with a 5 member board and a property management person at all meetings. So complaining about the PM is tricky since she is always at the meetings.

I am now a former board member. I didn't run again. As of this evening the board is united in backing a person who I actually got to run for the board. How things change. I have personal challenges (husband with Alzheimers) to deal with that made being on the board and speaking up for my concerns a health risk. When there have been discussions of lighting the pool area I made pleas and was told that they would be addressed. Then tonight I was told that was not the case. I feel myself getting tense and frustrated by the broken agreements. Possibly the three out of five who seem to vote in lock step look at me as though I am mistaken. Truly they said on various occasions that we would have more light in some dark areas. Then tonight denied it. It makes me nuts. And I'm now on the outs with them for daring to point out past agreements. It just seems like a high school clique and I'm on the outside.
MaxB4

07/21/2021 8:19 PM  
Posted By ChristinaW2 on 07/21/2021 7:28 PM

We are a complex of 34 units with a 5 member board and a property management person at all meetings. So complaining about the PM is tricky since she is always at the meetings.

I am now a former board member. I didn't run again. As of this evening the board is united in backing a person who I actually got to run for the board. How things change. I have personal challenges (husband with Alzheimers) to deal with that made being on the board and speaking up for my concerns a health risk. When there have been discussions of lighting the pool area I made pleas and was told that they would be addressed. Then tonight I was told that was not the case. I feel myself getting tense and frustrated by the broken agreements. Possibly the three out of five who seem to vote in lock step look at me as though I am mistaken. Truly they said on various occasions that we would have more light in some dark areas. Then tonight denied it. It makes me nuts. And I'm now on the outs with them for daring to point out past agreements. It just seems like a high school clique and I'm on the outside.

At the end of the day, right or wrong, it' still politics.
Please login to post a reply (click Member Login on the menu).
Forums > Homeowner Association > HOA Discussions > What percentage of the board must live on property?

Only members have access to all features.
Click here to join HOATalk for Free! Members click here to login and access all features.

General Legal Notice:  The content of forum messages are from the posting member and have not been reviewed nor endorsed by HOATalk.com.  Messages posted by HOATalk or other members are for informational purposes only, are not legal or professional advice and do not constitute an attorney-client relationship.  Readers should not act upon this information without seeking professional counsel.  HOATalk is not a licensed attorney, CPA, tax advisor, financial advisor or any other licensed professional.  HOATalk accepts ads from sponsors but does not verify sponsor qualifications nor endorse/guarantee any sponsor's product or service.
Legal Notice For Messages Posted by Sponsoring Attorneys: This message has been prepared by the sponsoring attorney for informational purposes only and does not constitute legal advice. This information is not intended to create, and receipt of it does not constitute an attorney-client relationship. Readers of HOATalk.com should not act on this information without seeking professional counsel. Please do not send any sponsoring attorney confidential information unless you speak with the sponsoring attorney or an attorney from the sponsoring attorney’s firm and get authorization to send that information to them. If you wish to initiate possible representation, please contact an attorney in the firm of the sponsoring attorney. Sponsoring attorneys that post messages here are licensed to practice law in a specific state or states as indicated in their message signature or sponsor’s profile page. (NOTE: A ‘sponsoring attorney’ is an attorney that is a HOATalk.com official sponsor and is identified as such in the posted message or on our sponsor page.)

Copyright HOA Talk.com, A Service of Community123 LLC ( Homeowners Association Discussions )   Terms Of Use  Privacy Statement