Get 1 year of free community web site hosting from Community123.com!
Wednesday, October 27, 2021

HOATalk is a free service of Community123.com:

Easy to use website tools to help your board
Only members have access to all features.
Click here to join HOATalk for Free! Members click here to login and access all features.
Subject: People stealing dog waste bags
Prev Next
Please login to post a reply (click Member Login on the menu).
Author Messages
JackJ9

07/21/2021 10:12 AM  
We have a dog waste station setup in one of our community parks, and it is constantly out of bags despite the landscapers servicing this routinely. Some board members suspect that a homeowner is stealing bags for using for other purposes.

I can't, for the life of me, figure out what other purpose the dog waste bags might be used for. They are small and light duty, and I can't imagine that people would steal these for any reason.

Any ideas?

The other possibility is the landscaper may not, in actuality, be replacing the dog waste bags after all.
CathyA3
(Ohio)

07/21/2021 10:29 AM  
Surveillance cameras... :-)

Seriously, people steal all kinds of stuff, and it may not even be someone in your community. Find out if the landscaper isn't replacing the bags, which you can do something about - otherwise you may have to let it go (it would cost more to do something about it than just buying more bags).

This is the kind of stuff that causes board members to run off screaming into the night.
PatJ1
(North Carolina)

07/21/2021 11:29 AM  
I store the community poop bags at my place so I have an endless supply. When I didn't store them, I pulled off maybe 10-12 bags at a time and keep them in my pocket.

Our landscaper changes our bags. 2 boxes per station. He replaces them when they empty. Usually 2-3 boxes a week. What would we do with partial rolls? Yes, sometimes they both run out at the same time.

We purchase 1 carton of 30 boxes every 5 months or so for 5 stations. If you have only one station and many homes you could simply just be running out.

Board members are volunteers. Many have no idea what they're doing. Educate them. Don't beat them up.
CarissaM

07/21/2021 11:52 AM  
Posted By JackJ9 on 07/21/2021 10:12 AM
We have a dog waste station setup in one of our community parks, and it is constantly out of bags despite the landscapers servicing this routinely. Some board members suspect that a homeowner is stealing bags for using for other purposes.

I can't, for the life of me, figure out what other purpose the dog waste bags might be used for. They are small and light duty, and I can't imagine that people would steal these for any reason.

Any ideas?

The other possibility is the landscaper may not, in actuality, be replacing the dog waste bags after all.

I used to use them for diapers, though I can't imagine someone stopping by a community park to get them...is it possible that there is just that much poop?
AnnaJ1
(Maryland)

07/22/2021 6:45 AM  
Well I don't have a solution to suggest, but I know we have the same silly problem in our neighborhood!
SheliaH
(Indiana)

07/22/2021 7:27 AM  
I think you once mentioned there were five parks in your community, so it may be one isn't enough. Can you set up stations at all the parks?

Also put an announcement in your newsletter or website (preferably both) asking g people not to hoard things but only use what you need. Since these are designed to help keep the community clean, people should recognize their neighbors may also need them and you don't want costs to increase because people are greedy.

For those of you who said you grab 10-12 of the bags at a time, yes, the second paragraph applies to you, so stop it. You can use the plastic bags You get at the grocery store for the same thing. Or go to the pet store and get a box of two for your dirty diapers or whatever crap you need to throw away.
LetA
(Nevada)

07/22/2021 12:41 PM  
I have no words, I keep a stash of bags both in my garage and in the laundry room by my dogs go box. I find the bags I store in the garage rapidly decompose due to heat.
I too notice that doggie bags are empty from time to time. It can be a combination of a few factors, high usage, kids, or they are not being replenished often. Pick one or all three.
MaxB4

07/22/2021 1:33 PM  
Using a poop bag as a diaper, SERIOUSLY????
ND
(PA)

07/22/2021 1:37 PM  
Posted By MaxB4 on 07/22/2021 1:33 PM

Haha. Using them to dispose of diapers. They sell similar type bags that are made for wrapping up a soiled diaper to control the odor a bit while it goes into a regular trash bag for disposal later.
MelissaP1
(Alabama)

07/22/2021 3:15 PM  
I am not sure if they are being stolen as much as being used. Not sure how frequently they are being replaced. How many dogs are being walked. I know I go to several parks here in town that run out of bags on a regular basis. Sometimes they are replaced with "Walmart" bags once they get empty.

Former HOA President
CathyA3
(Ohio)

07/23/2021 7:10 AM  
I just got back from my morning walk and noticed that somebody had turned a bunch of dog waste bags into origami-like sculptures and affixed them to the box. :-)

Conclusions: 1. any HOA property can and will be misused/vandalized/etc.; and 2. the first casualty of your election to a COA/HOA board will be your good opinion of your neighbors.
BancsS
(Iowa)

07/23/2021 2:18 PM  
Posted By MaxB4 on 07/22/2021 1:33 PM

I interpreted it the same way. How could you use poop bags as diapers. But I see that it means putting diapers IN them. I got a chuckle as I kept trying to visualize a diaper made from poop bags. Wow the problems in an HOA never ceases to amaze me. Actually human behavior never ceases to amaze me sometimes.
Please login to post a reply (click Member Login on the menu).
Forums > Homeowner Association > HOA Discussions > People stealing dog waste bags

Only members have access to all features.
Click here to join HOATalk for Free! Members click here to login and access all features.

General Legal Notice:  The content of forum messages are from the posting member and have not been reviewed nor endorsed by HOATalk.com.  Messages posted by HOATalk or other members are for informational purposes only, are not legal or professional advice and do not constitute an attorney-client relationship.  Readers should not act upon this information without seeking professional counsel.  HOATalk is not a licensed attorney, CPA, tax advisor, financial advisor or any other licensed professional.  HOATalk accepts ads from sponsors but does not verify sponsor qualifications nor endorse/guarantee any sponsor's product or service.
Legal Notice For Messages Posted by Sponsoring Attorneys: This message has been prepared by the sponsoring attorney for informational purposes only and does not constitute legal advice. This information is not intended to create, and receipt of it does not constitute an attorney-client relationship. Readers of HOATalk.com should not act on this information without seeking professional counsel. Please do not send any sponsoring attorney confidential information unless you speak with the sponsoring attorney or an attorney from the sponsoring attorney’s firm and get authorization to send that information to them. If you wish to initiate possible representation, please contact an attorney in the firm of the sponsoring attorney. Sponsoring attorneys that post messages here are licensed to practice law in a specific state or states as indicated in their message signature or sponsor’s profile page. (NOTE: A ‘sponsoring attorney’ is an attorney that is a HOATalk.com official sponsor and is identified as such in the posted message or on our sponsor page.)

Copyright HOA Talk.com, A Service of Community123 LLC ( Homeowners Association Discussions )   Terms Of Use  Privacy Statement