Get 1 year of free community web site hosting from Community123.com!
Wednesday, October 20, 2021

HOATalk is a free service of Community123.com:

Easy to use website tools to help your board
Only members have access to all features.
Click here to join HOATalk for Free! Members click here to login and access all features.
Subject: Billing from Vendors
Prev Next
Please login to post a reply (click Member Login on the menu).
Author Messages
LetA
(Nevada)

07/14/2021 5:16 PM  
When you receive a bill from a vendor, and they say they performed the service or installed a product and the product or service was not performed; has anyone refused to sign of on the accounting invoice so the vendor does not get paid?

About a month or so ago, our pool vendor was supposed to install a dust cap that goes over a already existing ADA support that we do not use. The vendor billed us for the service but did not render it.

When the invoice came across for both the cleaning and this particular dust cap, I refused to authorize the invoice and notated the reason for the refusal.

Has anyone else encountered the same, and what was the result and outcome?

Also I am finding another item that this contractor did not perform, that was months ago. Our electric panel was vandalized and someone cut off the lock hasp to the electric panel . the vendor was supposed to install a new hasp, instead, they just stuck two drywall screws into position. Yes, I am flipping mad

JackJ9

07/14/2021 5:31 PM  
In our community, our accounting department automatically pays all of the vendor bills that come in. Automatically, without verification from the board or the property manager that the work is actually done.

I inquired about this early on, and was told that our accounting department trusts the vendors. So, I have taken it upon myself to verify the vendor work and then alert the accounting department if something didn't get done. With that said, our vendors all have delivered on the services that they are contracted for, so it hasn't been an issue on our community.
MaxB4

07/14/2021 5:33 PM  
I have a board member verify the work was performed prior to a check being cut. That goes with all associations I manage.

The question is, since you or the board are having issues with work being performed, what procedures has your association setup?
MaxB4

07/14/2021 5:34 PM  
Posted By JackJ9 on 07/14/2021 5:31 PM
In our community, our accounting department automatically pays all of the vendor bills that come in. Automatically, without verification from the board or the property manager that the work is actually done.

I inquired about this early on, and was told that our accounting department trusts the vendors. So, I have taken it upon myself to verify the vendor work and then alert the accounting department if something didn't get done. With that said, our vendors all have delivered on the services that they are contracted for, so it hasn't been an issue on our community.

I trust the vendors too, but am accountable to the associations.
MaxB4

07/14/2021 5:46 PM  
Let me add one thing further. My software allows the board to approve a invoice that has been scanned into the software and available through their individual web portal. The board decides beforehand how many directors are needed for approval to then cut checks.

All utilities and vendors with set monthly fees are paid online or through ACH. If a landscaper has a contract for services at $100.00 per month, that is paid automatically. Any additional work has to have approval. The board would then insure work has been performed before signing off.
JackJ9

07/14/2021 6:00 PM  
Posted By MaxB4 on 07/14/2021 5:46 PM
Let me add one thing further. My software allows the board to approve a invoice that has been scanned into the software and available through their individual web portal. The board decides beforehand how many directors are needed for approval to then cut checks.

All utilities and vendors with set monthly fees are paid online or through ACH. If a landscaper has a contract for services at $100.00 per month, that is paid automatically. Any additional work has to have approval. The board would then insure work has been performed before signing off.

Nice system. Wish we had something like that. We don't. All communication is done by e-mail, which of course works 95% of the time but the 5% that get missed is annoying.

I really would like our PM to go to a ticket system where we file a ticket with each comment, and then they have an electronic list of the status of every ticket. Then nothing would get missed.
SheliaH
(Indiana)

07/14/2021 6:21 PM  
Max brings up a good point - someone should have inspected the work to ensure it was done according to the invoice, either the property manager or a board member (perhaps both)? What was the board doing, especially when the electric panel got vandalized months ago - you're just NOW finding out nothing was done? Then again, this could have been a massive communication breakdown.

Go to the vendor and express your concerns, noting the board can't authorize payment unless these issues are addressed - and this time you want written and visual verification.
Please login to post a reply (click Member Login on the menu).
Forums > Homeowner Association > HOA Discussions > Billing from Vendors

Only members have access to all features.
Click here to join HOATalk for Free! Members click here to login and access all features.

General Legal Notice:  The content of forum messages are from the posting member and have not been reviewed nor endorsed by HOATalk.com.  Messages posted by HOATalk or other members are for informational purposes only, are not legal or professional advice and do not constitute an attorney-client relationship.  Readers should not act upon this information without seeking professional counsel.  HOATalk is not a licensed attorney, CPA, tax advisor, financial advisor or any other licensed professional.  HOATalk accepts ads from sponsors but does not verify sponsor qualifications nor endorse/guarantee any sponsor's product or service.
Legal Notice For Messages Posted by Sponsoring Attorneys: This message has been prepared by the sponsoring attorney for informational purposes only and does not constitute legal advice. This information is not intended to create, and receipt of it does not constitute an attorney-client relationship. Readers of HOATalk.com should not act on this information without seeking professional counsel. Please do not send any sponsoring attorney confidential information unless you speak with the sponsoring attorney or an attorney from the sponsoring attorney’s firm and get authorization to send that information to them. If you wish to initiate possible representation, please contact an attorney in the firm of the sponsoring attorney. Sponsoring attorneys that post messages here are licensed to practice law in a specific state or states as indicated in their message signature or sponsor’s profile page. (NOTE: A ‘sponsoring attorney’ is an attorney that is a HOATalk.com official sponsor and is identified as such in the posted message or on our sponsor page.)

Copyright HOA Talk.com, A Service of Community123 LLC ( Homeowners Association Discussions )   Terms Of Use  Privacy Statement