Get 1 year of free community web site hosting from Community123.com!
Thursday, May 13, 2021

HOATalk is a free service of Community123.com:

Easy to use website tools to help your board
Only members have access to all features.
Click here to join HOATalk for Free! Members click here to login and access all features.
Subject: What is an appropriate time frame
Prev Next
Please login to post a reply (click Member Login on the menu).
Author Messages
LetA
(Nevada)

04/10/2021 7:05 AM  
I have a couple of Issues that have me FUMING. Our pool has not been open in 16 months. We have been paying for "winter maintenance" where they come once a week to maintain the pool.
While the pool has been closed they left pool lights laying on the deck along with the filter basket covers. They did not vacuum the pool. One owner emailed me and the property manager, after a month
or so, the lights and filter baskets were placed back in their locations. Since February the required pool rules sign blew off the wall and is laying in the bushes, and still the pool has not been vacuumed.
The condition of the deck has muddy footprints all over one section of the deck. I took pictures and emailed the PM calling for the immediate termination of the pool servicer's contract.

Someone emailed the the health district on the pool condition, an inspector was dispatched and substantiated the complaint

Our Governor here in Nevada announced earlier this year that May 1st 2021 is the target date to turn over COVID mandates to local authorities or Jurisdictions.I feel I am being blown off and nobody cares to form a plan to safely reopen the pool. I don't want this to be a rushed job. Owners are already complaining, and I don't blame them. I Think May 1st is a good target date.

Need some advice to light some fires under the butts of these draggers. I have also read the CDC guidelines and nowhere do I see that hot tubs need to be closed.

https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-ncov/community/parks-rec/aquatic-venues.html#anchor_1612214349775
AugustinD

04/10/2021 8:33 AM  
What I am sure the OP does not want to read: Yet another surge (#4?) has begun in many states. Michigan's hospitals are overwhelmed again. (And the governor is kind of caving at this point, resigned to the reality of the mob-like attitudes in much of the state.)

The 1918 Spanish Flu epidemic lasted two years and had four waves. Experts say the relevant technology has not changed much. With higher density housing and greatly used brick-n-mortar consumer businesses, it's not surprising that the pandemic is not over. Far from it, IMO.

My mom's first cousin is in the hospital with Covid as we speak. The hospital wants the relative on a ventilator, but the relative has refused. The prognosis does not look good.

The variants on coronavirus are still largely a question mark IMO. Variants keep arising.

I do not blame any HOA for continuing to keep the pool, gym et cetera closed.

I am pretty unhappy about it all. But I know it's the stuff of life. Governments are doing the best they can.
SheliaH
(Indiana)

04/10/2021 9:32 AM  
COVID's impact on the pool opening and the winter maintenance are different issues, in my opinion. If the contractor isn't doing a great job, it is appropriate to complain to the board, perhaps take photos (time and date stamped) to illustrate what you're concerned about. Its also possible some of this may be due to vandalism, so more security may be necessary.

As for COVID and the pool opening, I agree with Augustin that we still need to be cautious, although vaccines are becoming more available (I got my second shot today, yea!) I'm sure you don't want a remix of last spring when EVERYTHING was shut down, nor should you want to see another 500K dead - numbers are beginning to creep up again because people are still yelling about mask wearing and social distancing being a "violation of rights." As that nurse from south Dakota told CNN, people shut up about that when they wind up on a ventilator.

We are all tired of COVID and I know you and your neighbors want to use the pool, but it seems to me waiting a few more weeks won't kill you. In the meantime push the board on the maintenance issue so you'll save time in opening the pool when the time is right.
CathyA3
(Ohio)

04/10/2021 10:03 AM  
Adding to what Augustin said, pandemics don't just stop. They tend to slow down over a period of years, with random outbreaks popping up without warning. The availability of vaccines may shorten timelines in various places, but it will take a while to make vaccines available in all countries. And since we humans can't seem to stay put no matter what is going on, the rule of thumb will remain "covid anywhere is covid everywhere".

And adding to Sheila's story about the nurse, a local nurse who was interviewed on one of our governor's press conferences said that she's had patients railing about a "hoax" as she was prepping them to go on a ventilator.

Right now it's a race between vaccination and the virus's ability to throw off variants. Given that a virus can mutate every time it jumps into a new host, we humans are playing for opposing teams simultaneously. Now THERE is an effective strategy....

TL;DR: It'll be a while before things are back to normal - if you keep expecting it to be, you'll make yourself nuts.
LetA
(Nevada)

04/10/2021 10:14 AM  
You're right Augustin, it is a hard pill to swallow. As a board member I want what's safe and won't put owners in a position that will cause potential issues for expensive litigation. Unfortunately like the 1918 flu epidemic, This virus will never be going away. That too is something everyone will have to face. Keeping everything locked up will never change that. Currently it's dammed if you do and dammed if you don't.

LetA
(Nevada)

04/10/2021 10:24 AM  
Sheila, even before I was on the board, I would point out issues that this pool cleaner would have. Issues like the heater to the hot tub not working. I have a gross misconception that part of the pool cleaners job when they are on site is to check the chemical balance, clean, vacuum the pool and make sure the pumps and filters are functioning and that the pool and hot tub heaters are working. If the required pool placards are blown down by the wind, they should be reaffixed to the wall, if they are damaged, they should be replaced. We should not go days, weeks or months with these simple things being missed.

I can be a real A--HOLE a few times I sat in the hot tub and something did not feel right on my skin. I took water samples to a pool chemical supplier for testing and confirmed my suspicions that the chemicals
were not balanced. This happened a few times. I don't like notifying the health department, but we can't have this When I bring up these issues to the property manager he dismisses me like I don't know what I am talking about. The PM is dismissive to the point where I think he has a pecuniary interest in this company, they may have some skin in the game or is getting a commission or kickback.

TimB4
(Virginia)

04/10/2021 10:56 AM  
Posted By LetA on 04/10/2021 10:24 AM

I have a gross misconception that part of the pool cleaners job when they are on site is to check the chemical balance, clean, vacuum the pool and make sure the pumps and filters are functioning and that the pool and hot tub heaters are working.

LetA,

That is a fair conception.

What does the actual contract say the company will provide?

If you don't know, then your conception might not be an accurate expectation of the service the Association is paying for.
AugustinD

04/10/2021 11:25 AM  
Posted By LetA on 04/10/2021 10:14 AM
Unfortunately like the 1918 flu epidemic, This virus will never be going away. That too is something everyone will have to face. Keeping everything locked up will never change that. Currently it's dammed if you do and dammed if you don't.
-- Just chattering here. LetA, I realize you all are going to do whatever.

-- To me it's not about litigation. It's about recognizing that health care workers are in bad shape, and that, when hospitals are maxed out, rationed care will happen. Meaning more deaths.

-- During the Spanish Flu epidemic of 1918-1920, cities that shut down had a far lower mortality rate than those that did not.

-- I disagree that this virus will never go away. Experience with this sort of thing says it will sputter out, for the greater part.

-- I got my first (Pfizer) vaccination nine days ago. Second is scheduled in a couple weeks. I figure it's not foolproof, and I will continue to take precautions.

-- I hope the hoatalk regulars and newbies alike are bearing up okay.

-- Supposedly there's another blood shortage. Just donated again. I bet hoatalk people donate blood at a higher rate. Big streak of volunteerism (no, not masochism) here.

-- MelissaP1's comment here about what it was like to have Covid and how she wants to just kick anyone who says it's (merely) like having the flu stays with me. Along with reading reports regularly in the NY Times and Washington Post.
KerryL1
(California)

04/10/2021 12:07 PM  
I must have missed something, LetA. Acne you're on the Board, why don't you have an agenda item to instruct the PM to to bring you bids/proposals from other other pool companies?
LetA
(Nevada)

04/10/2021 1:14 PM  
Posted By KerryL1 on 04/10/2021 12:07 PM
I must have missed something, LetA. Acne you're on the Board, why don't you have an agenda item to instruct the PM to to bring you bids/proposals from other other pool companies?

Just did that a few days ago. Terminating the contract will be discussed at the next meeting with a 30 day notice.

On the brighter side, I did reach out to the powers that be at the health district. They scrapped a scathing amount of changes to public and "private"" pools two years ago. One of the proposals was that anyone that cleans a pool, they themselves has to have a permit from the health district kind of like a food handlers card. They would have to attend a class and pass a certification from the health district to receive a pool cleaners card. As it is currently only the owner of the company needs a wall license to operate a pool cleaning company. Anyone that can fog a mirror can be sent out to "clean" a pool.

Hopefully this stand alone item can be passed by the health district.
Please login to post a reply (click Member Login on the menu).
Forums > Homeowner Association > HOA Discussions > What is an appropriate time frame

Only members have access to all features.
Click here to join HOATalk for Free! Members click here to login and access all features.

General Legal Notice:  The content of forum messages are from the posting member and have not been reviewed nor endorsed by HOATalk.com.  Messages posted by HOATalk or other members are for informational purposes only, are not legal or professional advice and do not constitute an attorney-client relationship.  Readers should not act upon this information without seeking professional counsel.  HOATalk is not a licensed attorney, CPA, tax advisor, financial advisor or any other licensed professional.  HOATalk accepts ads from sponsors but does not verify sponsor qualifications nor endorse/guarantee any sponsor's product or service.
Legal Notice For Messages Posted by Sponsoring Attorneys: This message has been prepared by the sponsoring attorney for informational purposes only and does not constitute legal advice. This information is not intended to create, and receipt of it does not constitute an attorney-client relationship. Readers of HOATalk.com should not act on this information without seeking professional counsel. Please do not send any sponsoring attorney confidential information unless you speak with the sponsoring attorney or an attorney from the sponsoring attorney’s firm and get authorization to send that information to them. If you wish to initiate possible representation, please contact an attorney in the firm of the sponsoring attorney. Sponsoring attorneys that post messages here are licensed to practice law in a specific state or states as indicated in their message signature or sponsor’s profile page. (NOTE: A ‘sponsoring attorney’ is an attorney that is a HOATalk.com official sponsor and is identified as such in the posted message or on our sponsor page.)

Copyright HOA Talk.com, A Service of Community123 LLC ( Homeowners Association Discussions )   Terms Of Use  Privacy Statement