Get 1 year of free community web site hosting from Community123.com!
Thursday, May 13, 2021

HOATalk is a free service of Community123.com:

Easy to use website tools to help your board
Only members have access to all features.
Click here to join HOATalk for Free! Members click here to login and access all features.
Subject: Adding to approved minutes
Prev Next
Please login to post a reply (click Member Login on the menu).
Author Messages
LouH1
(Michigan)

04/01/2021 11:50 AM  
We follow RRO and nowhere is it clear how this problem is handled. Could someone please give me some direction. In the effort to approve minutes we Directors disagree on the lack of clarity or elimination of vital information in the minutes factual report. (Things done, not said, I understand). So, we have reached an impasse on approving minutes and I am wondering if I can just add my own viewpoint to the approved minutes? I have read that this is oftentimes done, but then I read that in order to do this, you have to make a motion and get a majority vote. this makes no sense, as the majority approves the information that was not entirely factual. What can I do about this? I can't get a majority vote, but the community will not hear the actual facts. HELP!
MelissaP1
(Alabama)

04/01/2021 2:04 PM  
Meeting notes should not be that eloborate. It should just cover the issue and the decision made. The why's, when, or where's are not that necessary. You know when and where. Why is why you have meetings. Amending meeting notes should require a majority vote to make changes. Why is that such an issue?

Former HOA President
ND
(PA)

04/01/2021 4:32 PM  
What exactly does it mean that you "disagree on the lack of clarity or elimination of vital information in the minutes factual report"?

If there is much disagreement in the wording of meeting minutes, then you are going about it incorrectly.

In addition to admin stuff like the type of meeting, name of the organization, date, time, location, attendees, and status of previous minutes being read, corrected, approved . . . minutes are merely an accounting of the motions made, final wording of the motions (after discussion), disposition of the motion, and information about the vote.

I assume your impasse is because you're trying to include discussion and opinion-related info in your meeting minutes and you all disagree on who said (or didn't say) what; exactly what was said, not said, or implied; and other info/background on the topic/decision/motion being made. All this stuff should not be in your minutes. And if it's not in your minutes, then there is no reason or opportunity to debate it.

If you all can't agree on exactly what motion was made and what the exact decision was, then you need to fix that. I suggest being extremely thorough in decision-making, perhaps even restating the decision numerous times until all are in agreement . . . and then have the Secretary write it down exactly as discussed/decided.

You could even record your session so if there is still disagreement, you can all listen to the recording.
KerryL1
(California)

04/01/2021 4:54 PM  
The only "vital information" or "lack of clarity," that matters, Lou, is as ND wrote: the wording of the motion and its outcome. The only way for THAT wording to be changed, as also said, is by a majority of the Board to vote to amend them.

I'm pretty sure we have explained this to you previously.
MaxB4
(Maine)

04/01/2021 5:29 PM  
My suggestion, find a more time consuming hobby.
MichaelS56
(Minnesota)

04/02/2021 6:22 AM  
ND good answer.
LouH1
(Michigan)

04/02/2021 7:58 AM  
Michael, I agree as well. ND puts some time and effort into her responses and I, for one of many, I am sure. are very appreciative.
ND
(PA)

04/02/2021 8:40 AM  
Posted By LouH1 on 04/02/2021 7:58 AM
Michael, I agree as well. ND puts some time and effort into her responses and I, for one of many, I am sure. are very appreciative.

Curious . . . with a 2-letter profile name, how do you know I'm female?
NpS
(Pennsylvania)

04/02/2021 9:00 AM  
Posted By ND on 04/02/2021 8:40 AM
Posted By LouH1 on 04/02/2021 7:58 AM

Curious . . . with a 2-letter profile name, how do you know I'm female?

Great question ND. Any thoughts on whether he, she, or they should be used as the default?

Sikubali jukumu. Read all posts at your own risk.
KerryL1
(California)

04/02/2021 9:44 AM  
I read somewhere that "they" is now considered OK to avoid the messy he or she. "They" still feels funny to me, though.
JohnC46
(South Carolina)

04/02/2021 10:43 AM  
I am using s/he when in doubt.
JohnC46
(South Carolina)

04/02/2021 11:22 AM  
The main problem I see with minutes is many try to make them a narrative and claim well we are keeping owners informed. The most common problem with this is many slant the narrative in their direction and debate on Minutes approval can drag on.

I say Minutes should contain only Motions made and the results of. Other than that, some broad statements are fine such as:

Items Discussed:
1. Scheduling of 2021 Annual Meeting was discussed. No action taken.
2. Purchase of new pool furniture. Bids to be solicited to gather additional information.
3. Changing pool opening hours discussed. No action taken.

KISS: Keep It Simple Stupid.

LouH1
(Michigan)

04/02/2021 12:30 PM  
ND, now you have me curious.......I don't. Sorry if that would be offensive to you, I would hope and think not. It doesn't really matter to me which gender you are, your responses have been excellent and informative as well as not what I was always expecting.....which is a good thing. Thanks again regardless of which gender you may be. With my name, Lou, which gender am I?
LouH1
(Michigan)

04/02/2021 12:31 PM  
Perfectly said, I will remember that.
ND
(PA)

04/02/2021 12:43 PM  
Posted By LouH1 on 04/02/2021 12:30 PM
ND, now you have me curious.......I don't. Sorry if that would be offensive to you, I would hope and think not. It doesn't really matter to me which gender you are, your responses have been excellent and informative as well as not what I was always expecting.....which is a good thing. Thanks again regardless of which gender you may be. With my name, Lou, which gender am I?

Lou, not a problem and no offense taken . . . I wasn't trying to start a pronoun discussion . . . I was just curious how you arrived at me being female . . . because that's not the case.

Personally, I tend to try and refer to posters by their user name or the generic "OP" (Original Post/er") to avoid being incorrect in my assumption.

No issues though. Glad to be of help. Lots of other good advice here as well by others! Good luck with things . . . seems like you have your hands full.
Please login to post a reply (click Member Login on the menu).
Forums > Homeowner Association > HOA Discussions > Adding to approved minutes

Only members have access to all features.
Click here to join HOATalk for Free! Members click here to login and access all features.

General Legal Notice:  The content of forum messages are from the posting member and have not been reviewed nor endorsed by HOATalk.com.  Messages posted by HOATalk or other members are for informational purposes only, are not legal or professional advice and do not constitute an attorney-client relationship.  Readers should not act upon this information without seeking professional counsel.  HOATalk is not a licensed attorney, CPA, tax advisor, financial advisor or any other licensed professional.  HOATalk accepts ads from sponsors but does not verify sponsor qualifications nor endorse/guarantee any sponsor's product or service.
Legal Notice For Messages Posted by Sponsoring Attorneys: This message has been prepared by the sponsoring attorney for informational purposes only and does not constitute legal advice. This information is not intended to create, and receipt of it does not constitute an attorney-client relationship. Readers of HOATalk.com should not act on this information without seeking professional counsel. Please do not send any sponsoring attorney confidential information unless you speak with the sponsoring attorney or an attorney from the sponsoring attorney’s firm and get authorization to send that information to them. If you wish to initiate possible representation, please contact an attorney in the firm of the sponsoring attorney. Sponsoring attorneys that post messages here are licensed to practice law in a specific state or states as indicated in their message signature or sponsor’s profile page. (NOTE: A ‘sponsoring attorney’ is an attorney that is a HOATalk.com official sponsor and is identified as such in the posted message or on our sponsor page.)

Copyright HOA Talk.com, A Service of Community123 LLC ( Homeowners Association Discussions )   Terms Of Use  Privacy Statement