Get 1 year of free community web site hosting from Community123.com!
Thursday, November 26, 2020

HOATalk is a free service of Community123.com:

Easy to use website tools to help your board
Only members have access to all features.
Click here to join HOATalk for Free! Members click here to login and access all features.
Subject: endorsing new board members
Prev Next
Please login to post a reply (click Member Login on the menu).
Author Messages
LouH1
(Michigan)

09/23/2020 4:07 PM  
I am a board member and we are having our annual election the end of October. We have probably 4 members running for 2 openings. I want to write an endorsement for 2 NEW member Candidates who have lived in the community many years and I have encouraged to run. As a board member, I think, probably not, but if I write and designate myself as a co-owner endorsing these 2 NEW candidates, would that be ok?
KerryL1
(California)

09/23/2020 4:14 PM  
As an Owner you may endorse and campaign for any candidate you like. Just make it perfectly clear that you aren't speaking on behalf of the Board. And do not use HOA funds for any costs you may incur, e.g., mailers.

I probably will do the same next month for a couple of candidates here.
JohnC46
(South Carolina)

09/23/2020 4:23 PM  
Posted By KerryL1 on 09/23/2020 4:14 PM
As an Owner you may endorse and campaign for any candidate you like. Just make it perfectly clear that you aren't speaking on behalf of the Board. And do not use HOA funds for any costs you may incur, e.g., mailers.

I agree
TimB4
(Virginia)

09/23/2020 5:48 PM  
Although you can certainly do such a thing, I don't think it's a good idea.

What if they don't get elected?
Now you have to work with those who have the perception that you thought they weren't good enough for the job.

LouH1
(Michigan)

09/23/2020 5:55 PM  
No,I disagree. I am not sure who is running or who the candidates are and wont for awhile. So I will be endorsing them before the list comes out. Also, I am the only female and would like another female on the board with me.
TimB4
(Virginia)

09/23/2020 6:11 PM  
Feel free to disagree.

You asked for opinions.

I gave you mine.
MarkM19
(Texas)

09/23/2020 6:13 PM  
Lou,
I have been involved in 10 Elections and I always have my favorites. I think we all do to some extent. I always try and talk to my friends and ask them to vote and I also ask them to tell their friends to as well. This usually gets the popular person elected. I always say that Board HOA elections are a popularity contest. The people that know the most usually get elected.

I have also had a few elections where I had major issues with an existing Board member (ethics violations that were proven, self dealing) in those cases I actually sent a letter to every homeowner explaining in detail the offenses. It cost a $1.00 per house to do such a mailer so this is not always needed or recommended. The first time I did it the offender threatened to sue me for slander. I told him that if you tell the truth and can prove it, it ain't slander. He lost the election and the next election and then never ran again.
GenoS
(Florida)

09/23/2020 6:25 PM  
Posted By KerryL1 on 09/23/2020 4:14 PM

Good advice. Don't even mention the fact that you're a Director.
SheliaH
(Indiana)

09/24/2020 10:19 AM  
I also agree with Kerry. I get what Tim's saying, but I'm also only one vote - ultimately the homeowners decide who will serve or not, and if you're already a board member, you should be willing and able to work with whoever gets elected or appointed.
KerryL1
(California)

09/24/2020 2:48 PM  
Right, Sheila; that's how I see it too.
GeorgeR8
(Arizona)

09/24/2020 2:58 PM  
Posted By LouH1 on 09/23/2020 5:55 PM
No,I disagree. I am not sure who is running or who the candidates are and wont for awhile. So I will be endorsing them before the list comes out. Also, I am the only female and would like another female on the board with me.

Endorsing a person because they are female seems ok to you? I want people that are qualified and willing to do the work.
LouH1
(Michigan)

09/24/2020 4:28 PM  
Thank you Tim for your opinion. I appreciate it, but I have an opinion as well. You don't know our particular board, I do. Another woman, I know her, she would be fabulous! RBG type of woman
LouH1
(Michigan)

09/24/2020 4:31 PM  
I need another woman on the board. I don't expect you to understand. You don't need to, it's om believe me!;
LouH1
(Michigan)

09/24/2020 4:32 PM  
I agree too. Thanks!
JohnT38
(South Carolina)

09/24/2020 4:35 PM  
Posted By LouH1 on 09/24/2020 4:31 PM
I need another woman on the board. I don't expect you to understand. You don't need to, it's om believe me!;

Why wouldn't he understand? Is your intellect superior to his?
GeorgeS21
(Florida)

09/24/2020 4:37 PM  
Given the extraordinary level of apathy, the very idea of sex based, color based, religion based, hair length based, etc choice seems silly ...

I would work human flesh-eating aliens if they would work.
LouH1
(Michigan)

09/24/2020 5:09 PM  
Great reply! Made me laugh right out loud!
LouH1
(Michigan)

09/24/2020 5:11 PM  
ofcourse!
Please login to post a reply (click Member Login on the menu).
Forums > Homeowner Association > HOA Discussions > endorsing new board members

Only members have access to all features.
Click here to join HOATalk for Free! Members click here to login and access all features.

General Legal Notice:  The content of forum messages are from the posting member and have not been reviewed nor endorsed by HOATalk.com.  Messages posted by HOATalk or other members are for informational purposes only, are not legal or professional advice and do not constitute an attorney-client relationship.  Readers should not act upon this information without seeking professional counsel.  HOATalk is not a licensed attorney, CPA, tax advisor, financial advisor or any other licensed professional.  HOATalk accepts ads from sponsors but does not verify sponsor qualifications nor endorse/guarantee any sponsor's product or service.
Legal Notice For Messages Posted by Sponsoring Attorneys: This message has been prepared by the sponsoring attorney for informational purposes only and does not constitute legal advice. This information is not intended to create, and receipt of it does not constitute an attorney-client relationship. Readers of HOATalk.com should not act on this information without seeking professional counsel. Please do not send any sponsoring attorney confidential information unless you speak with the sponsoring attorney or an attorney from the sponsoring attorney’s firm and get authorization to send that information to them. If you wish to initiate possible representation, please contact an attorney in the firm of the sponsoring attorney. Sponsoring attorneys that post messages here are licensed to practice law in a specific state or states as indicated in their message signature or sponsor’s profile page. (NOTE: A ‘sponsoring attorney’ is an attorney that is a HOATalk.com official sponsor and is identified as such in the posted message or on our sponsor page.)

Copyright HOA Talk.com, A Service of Community123 LLC ( Homeowners Association Discussions )   Terms Of Use  Privacy Statement