Get 1 year of free community web site hosting from Community123.com!
Wednesday, October 28, 2020

HOATalk is a free service of Community123.com:

Easy to use website tools to help your board
Only members have access to all features.
Click here to join HOATalk for Free! Members click here to login and access all features.
Subject: Recording HOA meetings
Prev Next
Please login to post a reply (click Member Login on the menu).
Author Messages
MarkM41
(Washington)

09/18/2020 2:03 PM  
I am investigating the possibility of archiving the video on the monthly HOA meetings. There is push back from a few board members and committee members in allowing access to view at a later date. The current process is the Video of the meeting is housed in the HOA office on the server for 10 days. To view a written request is required and you must view in the HOA office. Since COVID restrictions are in place all board meetings have been electronic utilizing products/services such as Zoom and go to meeting.

The issue is we have many Snowbirds that travel South and maymiss the scheduled meeting. These individuals would be 500+ miles away and would not be able to request or view in person.

If I may ask what your HOA is doing in this instance?

Thank you
1200 plus member community
GenoS
(Florida)

09/18/2020 4:32 PM  
Mark, what do your state statutes say (if anything)? Down here at the other end of the country homeowners, by law, have the right to record any meeting of the board or of the members (as long as the equipment, audio and/or video, doesn't disrupt the meeting).
GeorgeS21
(Florida)

09/18/2020 5:42 PM  
Just my opinion, but I would never formally record a board of annual meeting.

Take minutes, archive the minutes,
GeorgeS21
(Florida)

09/18/2020 5:47 PM  
To be clear - as the Board .

Others could, but not for record keeping purposes.
GenoS
(Florida)

09/18/2020 7:50 PM  
I recorded one board meeting 2 years ago. I wasn't on the board at the time. Afterwards, another homeowner contacted me and demanded I transcribe the audio and provide him with a copy. As politely as I could, I told him I wasn't going to do that and asked why he wanted it. He wanted to "report them to the state" for holding a Board of Directors meeting without a quorum of homeowners present. I stifled a laugh and wished him good luck with that.

I've recorded every board meeting exept one over the last 4 years and only had a single occasion where I went back and actually listened to one.
MarkM41
(Washington)

09/19/2020 7:51 AM  
I need to look that up, thank you
MarkM41
(Washington)

09/19/2020 7:53 AM  
Understandable, the issue we have is the meeting in sometimes 4 hours long but the minutes are on one page. Not very informative.
MarkM41
(Washington)

09/19/2020 7:54 AM  
Are you able to clarify why? Thank you
JohnC46
(South Carolina)

09/19/2020 12:29 PM  
Posted By MarkM41 on 09/19/2020 7:53 AM
Understandable, the issue we have is the meeting in sometimes 4 hours long but the minutes are on one page. Not very informative.

Mark

Minutes are not meant to be a running narrative of what took place for several reasons. They would go one and on ad nauseum. There could be many things left out and some on purpose. Unless word for word, the writer could slant things. Unless word for word the reader could misinterpret.

The main thing required in Minutes are any Motions Made and the result of the Motion. The rest is just chatter.

While not required, it is wise to at least reference the chatter with statements such as:

Replacing existing property boundary fencing was discussed. No action was taken.

No need for the possible ranting, raving, threats curses, etc. that might have gone on for an hour when discussing the fencing issue.

Out owner's biggest gripes during the Annual Meeting Q&A Session are always landscaping issues. Primarily it is a personal issue not a community wide issue such as we have one person of 112 that always complains about how our landscapers trim her bushes. Another always complains about how the flowers at our entrance way look. This can go on for an hour. If a valid complaint (and some are), the BOD will say we will look at the issue. It shows in the Minutes as:

Landscaping issues were discussed. No action was taken.

Rarely do Minutes have to be more than one page long.
KerryL1
(California)

09/19/2020 3:00 PM  
JohnC is correct, Mark. Minutes should comprise only was was done, not what was said.
GeorgeS21
(Florida)

09/19/2020 4:01 PM  
Strongly concur.

While we have all heard folks pontificate and insist their position be in the minutes, don’t do it ... just a short comment, as was mentioned, then the motion, if any, second by who, and the vote tally.

Recording so folks can gather at a tv like football and compare plays? Not gonna happen with me.
MarshallT
(New York)

09/24/2020 6:28 AM  
Hi Mark,

As someone else has mentioned, you should first ensure that your state will allow you to legally record these meetings. If it does, I doubt you will gain the support of all board members. I appreciate that you want to make sure everyone is up to speed, but they can always follow up with the board if they have questions after reviewing meeting minutes.

I would ask if it is possible to share a Zoom link with members who are away but would like to tune in to the meeting, however with such a large community I'm not sure that would be possible.
DeidreB
(Virginia)

09/24/2020 7:44 AM  
Agree with all from the others. Plus, think about this. When it comes time to sell your home, depending on your particular state's disclosure requirements, would you want a prospective buyer to read all kinds of drama especially if it did not result in any action taken by the board? I would be less inclined to buy a home in an HOA that presents the appearance of drama, controversy and conflict. Record what is necessary. Let the rest fall on the cutting room floor.
CD6
(Texas)

09/24/2020 8:51 AM  
As a wag put it,
"There is a reason they are call "Minutes"
and not "Hours!"

Four hours is a long time.
Are the meetings monthly, quarterly or ?
MarkM41
(Washington)

09/24/2020 6:07 PM  
Thank you everyone for your responses. Makes complete sense to me, enjoyed the comment pertaining to the “minutes” not “hours” quite humorous. The community is divided which has a tendency during open comments to go on and on.. take care and thank you
Please login to post a reply (click Member Login on the menu).
Forums > Homeowner Association > HOA Discussions > Recording HOA meetings

Only members have access to all features.
Click here to join HOATalk for Free! Members click here to login and access all features.

General Legal Notice:  The content of forum messages are from the posting member and have not been reviewed nor endorsed by HOATalk.com.  Messages posted by HOATalk or other members are for informational purposes only, are not legal or professional advice and do not constitute an attorney-client relationship.  Readers should not act upon this information without seeking professional counsel.  HOATalk is not a licensed attorney, CPA, tax advisor, financial advisor or any other licensed professional.  HOATalk accepts ads from sponsors but does not verify sponsor qualifications nor endorse/guarantee any sponsor's product or service.
Legal Notice For Messages Posted by Sponsoring Attorneys: This message has been prepared by the sponsoring attorney for informational purposes only and does not constitute legal advice. This information is not intended to create, and receipt of it does not constitute an attorney-client relationship. Readers of HOATalk.com should not act on this information without seeking professional counsel. Please do not send any sponsoring attorney confidential information unless you speak with the sponsoring attorney or an attorney from the sponsoring attorney’s firm and get authorization to send that information to them. If you wish to initiate possible representation, please contact an attorney in the firm of the sponsoring attorney. Sponsoring attorneys that post messages here are licensed to practice law in a specific state or states as indicated in their message signature or sponsor’s profile page. (NOTE: A ‘sponsoring attorney’ is an attorney that is a HOATalk.com official sponsor and is identified as such in the posted message or on our sponsor page.)

Copyright HOA Talk.com, A Service of Community123 LLC ( Homeowners Association Discussions )   Terms Of Use  Privacy Statement