Get 1 year of free community web site hosting from Community123.com!
Wednesday, October 28, 2020

HOATalk is a free service of Community123.com:

Easy to use website tools to help your board
Only members have access to all features.
Click here to join HOATalk for Free! Members click here to login and access all features.
Subject: Gas grills on back decks
Prev Next
Please login to post a reply (click Member Login on the menu).
Author Messages
MichelleG7
(Connecticut)

09/13/2020 2:13 PM  
We were notified by our new insurance company during the inspection all grills have to leave the back decks. Because they want them 10 feet away from the building. this is not gonna happen with 8 ft decks.. In our state. there is a fire law that says all grills have to be moved 10 feet from the building. But I researched and found our condominiums dont have to follow this because we have two entrances in and out and not on the third floor. We tried to get back with our prior insurance. that isnt going very well. They will jack up the price a good 4000 more than the increase they tried giving us at renewal.

My question how do we tell the owners with the gas grills they have to take them off the deck. and they have until bla bla if they dont management will charge them 50.00 to remove them off property. I cant find any rule to say this can be done. has anyone ran into this at their condos.

Its as simple as if they dont remove them we will be with no insurance. Ane there is no time to figure out if we can set up a grill somewhere. which at this point not a priority. And they wouldnt use it anyway.

ty
TimB4
(Virginia)

09/13/2020 3:41 PM  
Michelle,

You discovered that the grills could stay per statute.
This should be verified.

If you have to tell owners that grills need to be removed, you simply tell them that per fire code grills need to be removed and those who do not will have to reimburse the Association for any fines.

Regarding insurance, have you shopped?
You should shop for insurance every 3 to 5 years or when rates increase drastically.

JohnC46
(South Carolina)

09/13/2020 4:45 PM  
Posted By TimB4 on 09/13/2020 3:41 PM
Michelle,

You discovered that the grills could stay per statute.
This should be verified.

If you have to tell owners that grills need to be removed, you simply tell them that per fire code grills need to be removed and those who do not will have to reimburse the Association for any fines.

Regarding insurance, have you shopped?
You should shop for insurance every 3 to 5 years or when rates increase drastically.

I agree. You might also look at the grill restrictions closer and offer some alternatives. Natural gas allowed, low pressure gas grills (the butane canister type maybe) allowed, charcoal grills allowed, etc. Give them some alternatives.
SamE2
(New Jersey)

09/13/2020 5:08 PM  
What she said is the statue is okay with the grill being on the deck but the insurance company is not. How big is your association and do you have any place you can put them in a common area to be shared? How many people have grills on their deck? Maybe you can charge a surcharge to cover the increase in the insurance to the people that want to have grills on their deck. I would not remove the grill from decks I would impose a daily fine for any that aren't removed by a certain date. The Board would have to make a rule and notify owners. We have 24 units and 2 grills in a common area that anyone can use. Keeping them clean is a little bit of a pain but we manage.
GeorgeS21
(Florida)

09/13/2020 5:22 PM  
Hmmmm ... if it is clear the insurance is going up by $x due to grills being in decks, then perhaps. pay as you go solution works?

Ex: if the increase is $4,000 and there are 20 grills, then each of the grill units can pay $200 each for the additional required insurance?
SamE2
(New Jersey)

09/13/2020 5:56 PM  
You might want to review this link: https://www.norwalkct.org/CivicAlerts.aspx?AID=975&ARC=2696#:~:text=A%20newly%20revised%20Connecticut%20State,10%20feet%20of%20the%20building.
SheliaH
(Indiana)

09/13/2020 6:07 PM  
You tell them what you just said here - your master insurance has made this requirement, so they have 30 days or whatever to get rid of it, or cough up the $50. Be sure you also tell them the premium can jump up to $4000 more and that increase would be reflected in their assessments.

If homeowners balk, they can do the work in finding yet another company that would allow this. Meanwhile, you might also check with your county fire marshal. I know what you said about the state law, but if you're a high rise, most fire codes prohibit grills with open flames (charcoal or gas) on the deck or balcony.

There ARE electric grills and smokers available the homeowners could use - if they have a GFCI outlet to prevent fires all the better (I live in a townhouse and have them on my patio, but rarely use them)
Please login to post a reply (click Member Login on the menu).
Forums > Homeowner Association > HOA Discussions > Gas grills on back decks

Only members have access to all features.
Click here to join HOATalk for Free! Members click here to login and access all features.

General Legal Notice:  The content of forum messages are from the posting member and have not been reviewed nor endorsed by HOATalk.com.  Messages posted by HOATalk or other members are for informational purposes only, are not legal or professional advice and do not constitute an attorney-client relationship.  Readers should not act upon this information without seeking professional counsel.  HOATalk is not a licensed attorney, CPA, tax advisor, financial advisor or any other licensed professional.  HOATalk accepts ads from sponsors but does not verify sponsor qualifications nor endorse/guarantee any sponsor's product or service.
Legal Notice For Messages Posted by Sponsoring Attorneys: This message has been prepared by the sponsoring attorney for informational purposes only and does not constitute legal advice. This information is not intended to create, and receipt of it does not constitute an attorney-client relationship. Readers of HOATalk.com should not act on this information without seeking professional counsel. Please do not send any sponsoring attorney confidential information unless you speak with the sponsoring attorney or an attorney from the sponsoring attorney’s firm and get authorization to send that information to them. If you wish to initiate possible representation, please contact an attorney in the firm of the sponsoring attorney. Sponsoring attorneys that post messages here are licensed to practice law in a specific state or states as indicated in their message signature or sponsor’s profile page. (NOTE: A ‘sponsoring attorney’ is an attorney that is a HOATalk.com official sponsor and is identified as such in the posted message or on our sponsor page.)

Copyright HOA Talk.com, A Service of Community123 LLC ( Homeowners Association Discussions )   Terms Of Use  Privacy Statement