Get 1 year of free community web site hosting from Community123.com!
Tuesday, August 11, 2020

HOATalk is a free service of Community123.com:

Easy to use website tools to help your board
Only members have access to all features.
Click here to join HOATalk for Free! Members click here to login and access all features.
Subject: Resident ID and elevator technology question
Prev Next
Please login to post a reply (click Member Login on the menu).
Author Messages
PaulJ6

05/24/2020 4:54 PM  
I’ve moved into my new HOA (a large condo building) and love it; it’s heaven. I have a question about building technology:

When I walk into the lobby and walk towards the elevator, the button suddenly lights up. Then when I walk into the elevator, the button for my floor is lit. And when I’ve sometimes pressed the button for another floor, the staff calls over the intercom into the elevator, asking if I’m OK.

There are almost 200 units in the building, and this started on the day that I moved in.

First, how in the world does the staff know who I am that well? I’ve seen them glance at something as I walk in the lobby; is there maybe facial ID technology that the building has that allows it to identify residents?

Second, are elevators that are controlled remotely common?

This new HOA is really wonderful: the staff is amazing and everything is so professional. The building is beautiful, too.

Thanks.
MelissaP1
(Alabama)

05/24/2020 5:14 PM  
What kind of key are you carrying? Is it a traditional key or a card? Sounds interesting.

Former HOA President
PaulJ6

05/24/2020 5:33 PM  
Posted By MelissaP1 on 05/24/2020 5:14 PM
What kind of key are you carrying? Is it a traditional key or a card? Sounds interesting.

I have a regular door key. I don’t use the key until I am opening my apartment door though. It’s the building staff who remotely handles the elevators.
KerryL1
(California)

05/24/2020 5:38 PM  
Your elevator is way more high tech than ours (ca 2001) and don't know much about ours. Sounds interesting.
PaulJ6

05/25/2020 6:02 AM  
Thanks, I am intrigued by this. The building was built in the 1990s and perhaps the elevators are newer. Maybe the staff just has amazing memory--literally every time I've walked into the elevator my floor it lit. It's never been wrong.
MelissaP1
(Alabama)

05/25/2020 6:43 AM  
I would ask the doorman or front desk area if you have one how that works. Maybe they are using facial recognition technology. You would think there may be signs around the area as well giving a heads up. I am sure there are guests restrictions as they most likely just can't step on the elevator and expect the same.

Former HOA President
PaulJ6

05/25/2020 8:30 AM  
Good idea, thanks.

The HOA has a complete ban on outside visitors now due to virus restrictions.
KerryL1
(California)

05/25/2020 9:12 AM  
Review th reserves study on your building to se how ld the comments of the elevators are.

Ask the attendant about it.
LetA
(Nevada)

05/25/2020 9:15 AM  
If your key don't have an RFID tag inside, then it is your front desk staff that operates the elevator from the computer.
DeidreB
(Virginia)

05/25/2020 9:34 AM  
For what it's worth, I belong to a small gym that is open 24 hours a day. Whenever I walk in the staff says hi to me by name (when staff is on duty). They took our photos using a 3rd party financial firm so whenever we open the door with our bar coded fobs, our photo comes up along with our name and account info. This is for safety's sake and charging us for guests. The owner explained to me that the software also uses facial recognition software. If you haven't sat down for a photo with them, I doubt there is facial recognition software in use.
PaulJ6

05/25/2020 9:53 AM  
Posted By DeidreB on 05/25/2020 9:34 AM
For what it's worth, I belong to a small gym that is open 24 hours a day. Whenever I walk in the staff says hi to me by name (when staff is on duty). They took our photos using a 3rd party financial firm so whenever we open the door with our bar coded fobs, our photo comes up along with our name and account info. This is for safety's sake and charging us for guests. The owner explained to me that the software also uses facial recognition software. If you haven't sat down for a photo with them, I doubt there is facial recognition software in use.

Thanks, that all makes sense.

I haven't had a photo taken and I don't have a card or anything that I show; I just have a set of metal door keys (straight out of 1850) that I use to open my apartment door.

So I guess the staff must really be that skilled to remember me and always get my floor right. Impressive.
MarkM19
(Texas)

05/25/2020 10:25 AM  
Paul,
This reminds me of the Restaurant server that takes your order and does not write anything down. It is impressive when they get it right but drives me crazy when they get it wrong.

How many times have you had to go to the bathroom really bad and barely made it to the bathroom? It is scary that you are hoping your doorman does not send you to the wrong floor or is having a bad day and this happens to several people. He will suddenly be very unimpressive. It is worth asking the questions so you understand the building you are now calling home. How many floors and units are in the building?
KerryL1
(California)

05/25/2020 10:26 AM  
Curiosity, on my part anyway, would push me to simply ask them how its all works.
PaulJ6

05/25/2020 11:44 AM  
There are about 50 floors and 200 units in the building.

I do love this HOA!
MarkM19
(Texas)

05/25/2020 12:01 PM  
Paul,
That makes it impossible for a minimum wage guard to have everyone memorized. Nothing wrong with technology and if it makes everyone's life easier it can be a real asset to any HOA. I would imagine it would be explained in your CC&Rs our your Bylaws or Good Neighbor guidelines. I have read enough of your previous posts to wonder why you have not already asked this question.
LetA
(Nevada)

05/25/2020 12:10 PM  
Posted By MarkM19 on 05/25/2020 12:01 PM
Paul,
That makes it impossible for a minimum wage guard to have everyone memorized. Nothing wrong with technology and if it makes everyone's life easier it can be a real asset to any HOA. I would imagine it would be explained in your CC&Rs our your Bylaws or Good Neighbor guidelines. I have read enough of your previous posts to wonder why you have not already asked this question.

You would be surprised, one condo I worked at the residents not only expected it, but demanded it. The computer that controlled the elevator was a PITA, you had to log in with user name and password for every floor control. As a security guard I said you have a fob don't you?
PaulJ6

05/25/2020 12:43 PM  
Posted By MarkM19 on 05/25/2020 12:01 PM
Paul,

I checked when I bought (I read the governing documents in detail)- they were written in the 1990s and didn't cover this.

The staff aren't "minimum wage guards"- they are very nice and professional, upstanding professionals.

They've never gotten the floor wrong and if they did, I'd, I guess, deal with enormous aggravation of having to actually push the elevator button myself.
GenoS
(Florida)

05/25/2020 1:20 PM  
Posted By PaulJ6 on 05/24/2020 4:54 PM
First, how in the world does the staff know who I am that well? I’ve seen them glance at something as I walk in the lobby; is there maybe facial ID technology that the building has that allows it to identify residents?

My money would be on some kind of facial recognition system. Does it work if you go in wearing a face mask?

Definitely ask them, they might be happy to tell you about it.
MarkM19
(Texas)

05/25/2020 1:23 PM  
Paul,
Good service is worth the price you pay for it 100% of the time. I agree your new HOA must be hiring good staff and paying for them too be doing the job they are doing for you. They should be acknowledged for the work they do during Christmas time when they are gifted for this service.
PaulJ6

05/25/2020 1:28 PM  
Posted By GenoS on 05/25/2020 1:20 PM
Posted By PaulJ6 on 05/24/2020 4:54 PM

My money would be on some kind of facial recognition system. Does it work if you go in wearing a face mask?

Definitely ask them, they might be happy to tell you about it.

We have to wear face masks, covering noses and mouths, which makes it even more surprising that I'm recognized.

I live in a center city full of office workers and I look like pretty much every single guy in the entire area.

MarkW, thanks and you're right. The staff is really wonderful and I will be sure to thank them in way$ they would con$ider appropriate.
MarkM19
(Texas)

05/25/2020 1:53 PM  
Paul,
I am not sure all Mark$ are the $ame. In this case I am the only one responding to your Post. It appears like you have found the right HOA finally. If I am right you have kissed a few Frogs on this site meaning you have had a few Bad HOAs that you have been a part of in my memory serves me. I am glad you are in your perfect HOA now. Congrats
PaulJ6

05/25/2020 1:59 PM  
Posted By MarkM19 on 05/25/2020 1:53 PM
Paul,
I am not sure all Mark$ are the $ame. In this case I am the only one responding to your Post. It appears like you have found the right HOA finally. If I am right you have kissed a few Frogs on this site meaning you have had a few Bad HOAs that you have been a part of in my memory serves me. I am glad you are in your perfect HOA now. Congrats

MarkM19, sorry, typo in my post. I appreciate your feedback. Yes, I absolutely love this building, the staff, the neighbors and even the HOA itself, which seems to have a first-rate board: I Googled its members and they are (1) a guy worth tens and tens of millions of dollars, (2) high-profile lawyer in town, (3) at least one person in finance, (4) at least one person in real estate, etc. Very impressive and from what I can tell they've done a very nice job. Plus the HOA dues, per dollar of property value, are far lower than in other HOAs that I've dealt with, even though this one is much nicer.
PaulJ6

05/25/2020 2:01 PM  
And even the property manager seems very professional- I looked on its website and it kind of brags about being a high-end property manager but when I checked out building records (as diligence prior to buying) they were in very good shape and I was treated very professionally, and the resident manager has been very professional, responsive, etc.

So there are some wonderful HOAs out there. I won't be filing a lawsuit against this one. Going up against a board consisting of the people I've noticed are on it, that would be tough, anyway.
KerryL1
(California)

05/25/2020 2:39 PM  
I'm so curious, Paul, what are your reasons for not asking the attendants how they do it?

I'm also curious, since you mentioned you'd read a lot of documents: what does the reserve study say about the elevator components, which as you know, say how old they are, their estimate replacement cost and often describe their function.
PaulJ6

05/25/2020 2:55 PM  
Posted By KerryL1 on 05/25/2020 2:39 PM
I'm so curious, Paul, what are your reasons for not asking the attendants how they do it?

I'm also curious, since you mentioned you'd read a lot of documents: what does the reserve study say about the elevator components, which as you know, say how old they are, their estimate replacement cost and often describe their function.

I don't want to insult them and I'd rather know in advance anyway, if these elevators are common.

I wasn't allowed to make copies of the documents but there was an assessment for the elevators a few years ago. They're newer than the building itself. I'm not going to get involved in the details of a HOA this time- the elevators work, they're newish and the HOA dues are low (particularly given how nice the building is). That's enough to make me happy.

GeorgeS21
(Florida)

05/25/2020 4:03 PM  
All that would make me suspicious.
TimB4
(Virginia)

05/26/2020 3:56 AM  
Paul,

I would expect that there are elevator systems with face recognition and floor selection.
Sounds like your development has one of those.

Even if it's only face recognition and the "doorman" is selecting the floor, this can be a great security measure.

For others, it can seem a little creepy.

Hope you like your new place.

Tim
PaulJ6

05/26/2020 4:59 AM  
Thanks! Yes, I LOVE the new place.

My guidance to anyone now with HOA issues: do as I did, and just move!
PaulJ6

06/20/2020 12:50 PM  
I just have to boast about the amazing staff in my new HOA:

One day recently when I was walking into the elevator, like clockwork, the "up" button lit up (without me pressing it) and then the button inside the elevator lit up...for the wrong floor.

I was actually delighted. It shows that there is no face-recognition software that the wonderful staff uses to identify residents and which floors they go to. They just know their residents so well that they know which button inside the elevator to press, remotely, to get the residents to their correct floors. And when they got it wrong, they were just a few floors off. I find it really impressive that they remember residents that well!
CathyA3
(Ohio)

06/20/2020 2:07 PM  
Posted By PaulJ6 on 06/20/2020 12:50 PM
... snippage ...

I was actually delighted. It shows that there is no face-recognition software that the wonderful staff uses to identify residents and which floors they go to. They just know their residents so well that they know which button inside the elevator to press, remotely, to get the residents to their correct floors. And when they got it wrong, they were just a few floors off. I find it really impressive that they remember residents that well!

I have a different reaction, although it may be because I'm female and always alert for potential problems. But I think it's intrusive and creepy. I'll push my own darned button, thank you very much.
MarkW18

06/20/2020 6:39 PM  
Posted By MarkM19 on 05/25/2020 1:53 PM
Paul,

You're quite right, they're not!
Please login to post a reply (click Member Login on the menu).
Forums > Homeowner Association > HOA Discussions > Resident ID and elevator technology question

Only members have access to all features.
Click here to join HOATalk for Free! Members click here to login and access all features.

General Legal Notice:  The content of forum messages are from the posting member and have not been reviewed nor endorsed by HOATalk.com.  Messages posted by HOATalk or other members are for informational purposes only, are not legal or professional advice and do not constitute an attorney-client relationship.  Readers should not act upon this information without seeking professional counsel.  HOATalk is not a licensed attorney, CPA, tax advisor, financial advisor or any other licensed professional.  HOATalk accepts ads from sponsors but does not verify sponsor qualifications nor endorse/guarantee any sponsor's product or service.
Legal Notice For Messages Posted by Sponsoring Attorneys: This message has been prepared by the sponsoring attorney for informational purposes only and does not constitute legal advice. This information is not intended to create, and receipt of it does not constitute an attorney-client relationship. Readers of HOATalk.com should not act on this information without seeking professional counsel. Please do not send any sponsoring attorney confidential information unless you speak with the sponsoring attorney or an attorney from the sponsoring attorney’s firm and get authorization to send that information to them. If you wish to initiate possible representation, please contact an attorney in the firm of the sponsoring attorney. Sponsoring attorneys that post messages here are licensed to practice law in a specific state or states as indicated in their message signature or sponsor’s profile page. (NOTE: A ‘sponsoring attorney’ is an attorney that is a HOATalk.com official sponsor and is identified as such in the posted message or on our sponsor page.)

Copyright HOA Talk.com, A Service of Community123 LLC ( Homeowners Association Discussions )   Terms Of Use  Privacy Statement