Get 1 year of free community web site hosting from Community123.com!
Thursday, April 02, 2020











HOATalk is a free service of Community123.com:

Get 1 free year community website and email newsletter hosting from Community123.com!
Only members have access to all features.
Click here to join HOATalk for Free! Members click here to login and access all features.
Subject: sub associations dissolution
Prev Next
Please login to post a reply (click Member Login on the menu).
Author Messages
GregoryG7
(Florida)

Posts:1


02/24/2020 12:38 PM  
Our Sub Association is considering a proposal to dissolve because of financial considerations and responsibilities that the Master Association is willing to a accept. There is very little information on how to accomplish this, especially so in that there is a property that needs be conveyed to the master. Any thoughts on how to accomplish this?
GenoS
(Florida)

Posts:3673


02/24/2020 1:26 PM  
I think an attorney is where you should start.
DouglasK1
(Florida)

Posts:1489


02/24/2020 2:40 PM  
Posted By GenoS on 02/24/2020 1:26 PM
I think an attorney is where you should start.



Absolutely, this does not seem like a DIY project.

Escaped former treasurer and director of a self managed association.
TimB4
(Virginia)

Posts:16700


02/24/2020 3:26 PM  
Gregory,

I would first take a poll from the members and see if this idea is supported.

If you have the support, you will need the assistance of an attorney and work closely with the master association.
Your declaration will have to be amended to abolish the deed restrictions and transfer control of common area, funds and responsibility to the other association.

The Master Association will, at the same time, need to amend their declaration to accept control and place your development under their association and covenants.


Be careful what you wish for.
SteveM9
(Massachusetts)

Posts:3599


02/24/2020 4:46 PM  
Our Sub Association is considering a proposal to dissolve


Just a word of advice........ probably never going to happen.

Yes, you need to start with a contract lawyer, or real estate lawyer. Probably charge you a great deal of money just to look at your docs and tell you it aint going to happen. Or they will lead you to believe it will happen, and it never happens.

HOA's are typically created because the town required it, common areas like roads to your home that need to be maintained, etc.

So there is a 1% chance you can make this happen and a 99% chance you cant.
DeidreB
(Virginia)

Posts:77


02/24/2020 5:15 PM  
We considered this once in a previous HOA that was part of a master. After a focused look at it we decided never to consider it again. There was too much concern about what we might accidentally "sever" or alter without even knowing it. We realized it would be very costly in terms of attorney fees and the risk of unintended consequences would still be there.
Please login to post a reply (click Member Login on the menu).
Forums > Homeowner Association > HOA Discussions > sub associations dissolution



Get 1 year of free community web site hosting from Community123.com!

Only members have access to all features.
Click here to join HOATalk for Free! Members click here to login and access all features.







General Legal Notice:  The content of forum messages are from the posting member and have not been reviewed nor endorsed by HOATalk.com.  Messages posted by HOATalk or other members are for informational purposes only, are not legal or professional advice and do not constitute an attorney-client relationship.  Readers should not act upon this information without seeking professional counsel.  HOATalk is not a licensed attorney, CPA, tax advisor, financial advisor or any other licensed professional.  HOATalk accepts ads from sponsors but does not verify sponsor qualifications nor endorse/guarantee any sponsor's product or service.
Legal Notice For Messages Posted by Sponsoring Attorneys: This message has been prepared by the sponsoring attorney for informational purposes only and does not constitute legal advice. This information is not intended to create, and receipt of it does not constitute an attorney-client relationship. Readers of HOATalk.com should not act on this information without seeking professional counsel. Please do not send any sponsoring attorney confidential information unless you speak with the sponsoring attorney or an attorney from the sponsoring attorney’s firm and get authorization to send that information to them. If you wish to initiate possible representation, please contact an attorney in the firm of the sponsoring attorney. Sponsoring attorneys that post messages here are licensed to practice law in a specific state or states as indicated in their message signature or sponsor’s profile page. (NOTE: A ‘sponsoring attorney’ is an attorney that is a HOATalk.com official sponsor and is identified as such in the posted message or on our sponsor page.)

Copyright HOA Talk.com, A Service of Community123 LLC ( Homeowners Association Discussions )   Terms Of Use  Privacy Statement