Get 1 year of free community web site hosting from Community123.com!
Monday, April 06, 2020

HOATalk is a free service of Community123.com:

Get 1 free year community website and email newsletter hosting from Community123.com!
Only members have access to all features.
Click here to join HOATalk for Free! Members click here to login and access all features.
Subject: Retention Ponds insurance
Prev Next
Please login to post a reply (click Member Login on the menu).
Author Messages
LisaP13
(Wisconsin)

02/11/2020 7:08 AM  
I am wondering if anyone has an idea how much liability coverage should be obtained for a retention pond? Also, looking for recommendations for insurance agent specializing in HOAs in Wisconsin. Thank you
DeidreB
(Virginia)

02/11/2020 7:31 AM  
Lisa,

I'm not from Wisconsin but I'll share my experience with you.

When we took over the Board from the developer they had a general liability only policy already in place. We shopped around to several insurance companies and talked with agents who represent HOA's (I just called a few nearby obviously managed communities by virtue of their gates and asked their managers who handles their insurance and there is also a CAI affiliated website I think that I looked up a few on so you should consult CAI as well).

I asked about our pond and whether or not we need separate insurance for that and the agents said there is no separate policy or coverage for it. We instead talked about the community overall, it's size, it's assessments, it's general exposure to liability and of course our budget.

We settled on general liability of $1,000,000 for the association and a separate umbrella policy of $1,000,000 to cover any excess liability not covered by that. The agents said that is the most common amount of coverage they see for communities our size (we are very small).

We also added specific dollar amounts of replacement coverage for a few specific common area items in the event they are damaged by someone (but not the pond as it is part of the grounds).

We also got employee dishonesty coverage for the max amount our bank account should rise to. You didn't mention it but be sure to get a good D&O policy.

I was on a previous board that had a beautiful drainage pond with choi and lights and fountains. It was on a public thoroughfare. Our HOA liability policy at that time was $1,000,000 total. No special coverage for that pond.

Hope that helps. Again, not from Wisconsin.
JohnC46
(South Carolina)

02/11/2020 11:07 AM  
We have no specific retention pond coverage. It falls under our general insurance policy.
LisaP13
(Wisconsin)

02/11/2020 11:30 AM  
Thank you!
GenoS
(Florida)

02/11/2020 2:10 PM  
Posted By JohnC46 on 02/11/2020 11:07 AM
We have no specific retention pond coverage. It falls under our general insurance policy.

Same.
Please login to post a reply (click Member Login on the menu).
Forums > Homeowner Association > HOA Discussions > Retention Ponds insurance

Get 1 year of free community web site hosting from Community123.com!

Only members have access to all features.
Click here to join HOATalk for Free! Members click here to login and access all features.

General Legal Notice:  The content of forum messages are from the posting member and have not been reviewed nor endorsed by HOATalk.com.  Messages posted by HOATalk or other members are for informational purposes only, are not legal or professional advice and do not constitute an attorney-client relationship.  Readers should not act upon this information without seeking professional counsel.  HOATalk is not a licensed attorney, CPA, tax advisor, financial advisor or any other licensed professional.  HOATalk accepts ads from sponsors but does not verify sponsor qualifications nor endorse/guarantee any sponsor's product or service.
Legal Notice For Messages Posted by Sponsoring Attorneys: This message has been prepared by the sponsoring attorney for informational purposes only and does not constitute legal advice. This information is not intended to create, and receipt of it does not constitute an attorney-client relationship. Readers of HOATalk.com should not act on this information without seeking professional counsel. Please do not send any sponsoring attorney confidential information unless you speak with the sponsoring attorney or an attorney from the sponsoring attorney’s firm and get authorization to send that information to them. If you wish to initiate possible representation, please contact an attorney in the firm of the sponsoring attorney. Sponsoring attorneys that post messages here are licensed to practice law in a specific state or states as indicated in their message signature or sponsor’s profile page. (NOTE: A ‘sponsoring attorney’ is an attorney that is a HOATalk.com official sponsor and is identified as such in the posted message or on our sponsor page.)

Copyright HOA Talk.com, A Service of Community123 LLC ( Homeowners Association Discussions )   Terms Of Use  Privacy Statement