Get 1 year of free community web site hosting from Community123.com!
Wednesday, February 26, 2020

HOATalk is a free service of Community123.com:

Get 1 free year community website and email newsletter hosting from Community123.com!
Only members have access to all features.
Click here to join HOATalk for Free! Members click here to login and access all features.
Subject: Are gutter guards a good investment?
Prev Next
Please login to post a reply (click Member Login on the menu).
Author Messages
JohnT38
(South Carolina)

12/05/2019 7:29 AM  
We have 144 condos. (Side by side) Our community is 40 years old and we have tons of large trees that drop a lot of leaves. As a result we have the gutters cleaned out at least 3 times a year. The latest quotes were for $6500 from one company and $2985 for the other. We have used the cheaper company before but they do not clean up the debris that falls on the area of front and back doors. Residents complain about this but because of the price difference we still may use them again.

This issue got me thinking about gutter guards and I was curious if other communities have invested in these and if they end up paying for themselves over the long run? I can research prices and figure out the payback but I'm concerned that the benefits may be exaggerated. Do they really cut down the number of times gutters need to be cleaned? For example, one company runs an ad that says they will pay for cleaning if their gutter guards don't work. Any thoughts would be appreciated!
GeorgeS21
(Florida)

12/05/2019 9:28 AM  
Good gutter guards work well. Cheap ones don’t. Buyer beware.

I had the solid type that covers the gutter, allowing only a slot for water to adhere to as it runs into the gutter.

Run the numbers and see what you get with various types and costs.
CathyA3
(Ohio)

12/05/2019 10:29 AM  
I've heard reports that gutter guards can lead to ice damming (I have no first-hand knowledge about this), but that would be a non-issue for those down south.

Have you thought about doing a test install in one or more buildings where the need is greatest and see how they perform?

My community is also considering them, not only because of the leaves but because critters can get trapped in drainage pipes. The latter can result in a call to the local critter removal company or to a blocked pipe, neither of which is good.
JohnC46
(South Carolina)

12/05/2019 12:24 PM  
Posted By CathyA3 on 12/05/2019 10:29 AM
I've heard reports that gutter guards can lead to ice damming (I have no first-hand knowledge about this), but that would be a non-issue for those down south.

Have you thought about doing a test install in one or more buildings where the need is greatest and see how they perform?

My community is also considering them, not only because of the leaves but because critters can get trapped in drainage pipes. The latter can result in a call to the local critter removal company or to a blocked pipe, neither of which is good.

The OP is in SC. No such thing as ice dams here. Only ice here is in our drinks. One reason I retired here.....LOL
JohnT38
(South Carolina)

12/05/2019 1:24 PM  
JohnC46 is right. The only ice I have to deal with is in my southern style sweet tea! CathyA3, that's an excellent idea.
MelissaP1
(Alabama)

12/05/2019 2:42 PM  
I would google it or I like watching "This Old House". They give good advice. Plus Family Handyman another good resource. A salesperson is going to tell you they are always the best. Not so much from those not purchasing but educating.

Will tell you it was a bad idea to get gutter filler type. It's like a black mesh type inserts into gutters. Had them for years. It ends up they encourage plant growth. So maybe not bad if can afford to rip and replace that material once every few years. They do work for a little while to prevent cleaning till plants grow.

Also seen a gutter insert that looks like a Christmas tree branch. They can be inserted and cut to size. Has a metal rod in the middle and branches of wires. Seems to work as well. This could avoid the cleaning as often.

Former HOA President
CathyA3
(Ohio)

12/05/2019 2:54 PM  
Posted By JohnT38 on 12/05/2019 1:24 PM
JohnC46 is right. The only ice I have to deal with is in my southern style sweet tea! CathyA3, that's an excellent idea.

I only menntioned it because people in other states may read the post. I'd be perfectly happy never to see ice except in drinks or ice rinks. :-)
JohnT38
(South Carolina)

12/05/2019 3:10 PM  
Since I know the cost per condo to clean gutters and I can research pricing for the gutters it should be easy to see how many years the payback would be. Does anybody have advice on how many years would make it a worthwhile investment? Is there a general rule that people use?
GeorgeS21
(Florida)

12/05/2019 3:16 PM  
I’d use 5-7, maaayyybe 10.
LetA
(Nevada)

12/06/2019 5:42 AM  
Before I moved out west I had a product called gutter helmet installed never had to pull another leaf out of the gutter again.
JohnT38
(South Carolina)

12/06/2019 6:29 AM  
Thanks LetA. I've book marked their site. By any chance do you remember the cost?
GeorgeS21
(Florida)

12/06/2019 6:37 AM  
https://www.roofingcalc.com/gutter-guard-installation-cost/
LetA
(Nevada)

12/06/2019 5:20 PM  
Posted By JohnT38 on 12/06/2019 6:29 AM
Thanks LetA. I've book marked their site. By any chance do you remember the cost?

So long ago it was a ranch style house, I want to say it was about $1200
LetA
(Nevada)

12/06/2019 5:20 PM  
Posted By JohnT38 on 12/06/2019 6:29 AM

So long ago it was a ranch style house, I want to say it was about $1200
SteveM9
(Massachusetts)

12/06/2019 7:40 PM  
I bought these for $1.28 and they work great for 5 years now. It has a fine screen on one side to keep out leaves, debris.

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Amerimax-Home-Products-3-ft-Snap-In-White-Gutter-Guard-85270/100009044
Please login to post a reply (click Member Login on the menu).
Forums > Homeowner Association > HOA Discussions > Are gutter guards a good investment?

Get 1 year of free community web site hosting from Community123.com!

Only members have access to all features.
Click here to join HOATalk for Free! Members click here to login and access all features.

General Legal Notice:  The content of forum messages are from the posting member and have not been reviewed nor endorsed by HOATalk.com.  Messages posted by HOATalk or other members are for informational purposes only, are not legal or professional advice and do not constitute an attorney-client relationship.  Readers should not act upon this information without seeking professional counsel.  HOATalk is not a licensed attorney, CPA, tax advisor, financial advisor or any other licensed professional.  HOATalk accepts ads from sponsors but does not verify sponsor qualifications nor endorse/guarantee any sponsor's product or service.
Legal Notice For Messages Posted by Sponsoring Attorneys: This message has been prepared by the sponsoring attorney for informational purposes only and does not constitute legal advice. This information is not intended to create, and receipt of it does not constitute an attorney-client relationship. Readers of HOATalk.com should not act on this information without seeking professional counsel. Please do not send any sponsoring attorney confidential information unless you speak with the sponsoring attorney or an attorney from the sponsoring attorney’s firm and get authorization to send that information to them. If you wish to initiate possible representation, please contact an attorney in the firm of the sponsoring attorney. Sponsoring attorneys that post messages here are licensed to practice law in a specific state or states as indicated in their message signature or sponsor’s profile page. (NOTE: A ‘sponsoring attorney’ is an attorney that is a HOATalk.com official sponsor and is identified as such in the posted message or on our sponsor page.)

Copyright HOA Talk.com, A Service of Community123 LLC ( Homeowners Association Discussions )   Terms Of Use  Privacy Statement