Get 1 year of free community web site hosting from Community123.com!
Saturday, April 04, 2020

HOATalk is a free service of Community123.com:

Get 1 free year community website and email newsletter hosting from Community123.com!
Only members have access to all features.
Click here to join HOATalk for Free! Members click here to login and access all features.
Subject: Developer went bankrupt
Prev Next
Please login to post a reply (click Member Login on the menu).
Author Messages
AlisaC1
(Georgia)

12/12/2017 9:01 AM  
The original Bylaws/ covenants read:
The developer as
Cottage Grove Holdings, LLC
This company was dissolved in 2011 leaving 6 multi family lots undeveloped in phase 1 and no development in phase 1-A.
The bylaws only refer to “phase1” and the covenants refer to the phase 1 also.
Someone purchased the remaining lots in phase 1 and all the vacant lots in phase 1-A from the bank.
Since the company was dissolved,
does it make the bylaws null and void, therefore making that there is no longer a “developer “?

PaininyourA

12/12/2017 9:44 AM  
no

the corporation, not the association, was dissolved

the original covenants are still in place

time for an attorney
AlisaC1
(Georgia)

12/12/2017 10:24 AM  
I was almost certain the covenants were still active.
My issue is the person who purchased phase1-A is trying to run the HOA for phase 1. My question is, if the original developer went bankrupt and the LLC was dissolved, do the “bylaws” still stand with a new buyer? Phase 1-A was never written in the bylaws or covenants
DouglasK1
(Florida)

12/12/2017 10:30 AM  
If the new owner is trying to assert developer rights this could easily end up in a judge's hands to determine if they have the ability to do so. While the CCRs run with the land, the bylaws may have died with the corporation, but it would really be best to get a legal opinion. Note that even a lawyer's opinion is only a guess at what a judge may decide.

Escaped former treasurer and director of a self managed association.
AlisaC1
(Georgia)

12/12/2017 10:31 AM  
Thank you so much, I have called a lawyer and waiting a call back.
LetA
(Nevada)

12/12/2017 11:27 AM  
Posted By AlisaC1 on 12/12/2017 10:24 AM
My issue is the person who purchased phase1-A is trying to run the HOA for phase 1. My question is, if the original developer went bankrupt and the LLC was dissolved, do the “bylaws” still stand with a new buyer? Phase 1-A was never written in the bylaws or covenants

The new owner of the lots are now the developer.
JanetB2
(Colorado)

12/16/2017 11:53 PM  
Posted By LetA on 12/12/2017 11:27 AM
Posted By AlisaC1 on 12/12/2017 10:24 AM

The new owner of the lots are now the developer.

NOT always TRUE ... Would depend on the State Laws and potentially whether the buyer had Development Rights transferred to them. In my state if you did not have development rights transferred and just purchased lots ... you would just be another regular Lot owner ... not a new developer.

Please login to post a reply (click Member Login on the menu).
Forums > Homeowner Association > HOA Discussions > Developer went bankrupt

Get 1 year of free community web site hosting from Community123.com!

Only members have access to all features.
Click here to join HOATalk for Free! Members click here to login and access all features.

General Legal Notice:  The content of forum messages are from the posting member and have not been reviewed nor endorsed by HOATalk.com.  Messages posted by HOATalk or other members are for informational purposes only, are not legal or professional advice and do not constitute an attorney-client relationship.  Readers should not act upon this information without seeking professional counsel.  HOATalk is not a licensed attorney, CPA, tax advisor, financial advisor or any other licensed professional.  HOATalk accepts ads from sponsors but does not verify sponsor qualifications nor endorse/guarantee any sponsor's product or service.
Legal Notice For Messages Posted by Sponsoring Attorneys: This message has been prepared by the sponsoring attorney for informational purposes only and does not constitute legal advice. This information is not intended to create, and receipt of it does not constitute an attorney-client relationship. Readers of HOATalk.com should not act on this information without seeking professional counsel. Please do not send any sponsoring attorney confidential information unless you speak with the sponsoring attorney or an attorney from the sponsoring attorney’s firm and get authorization to send that information to them. If you wish to initiate possible representation, please contact an attorney in the firm of the sponsoring attorney. Sponsoring attorneys that post messages here are licensed to practice law in a specific state or states as indicated in their message signature or sponsor’s profile page. (NOTE: A ‘sponsoring attorney’ is an attorney that is a HOATalk.com official sponsor and is identified as such in the posted message or on our sponsor page.)

Copyright HOA Talk.com, A Service of Community123 LLC ( Homeowners Association Discussions )   Terms Of Use  Privacy Statement