Get 1 year of free community web site hosting from Community123.com!
Saturday, April 04, 2020

HOATalk is a free service of Community123.com:

Get 1 free year community website and email newsletter hosting from Community123.com!
Only members have access to all features.
Click here to join HOATalk for Free! Members click here to login and access all features.
Subject: Serveying
Prev Next
Please login to post a reply (click Member Login on the menu).
Author Messages
ChristianN5
(Florida)

11/08/2016 4:39 PM  
Does the hoa in fl have the right to servey a home owners property without permission or notification from the homeowner?
JohnC46
(South Carolina)

11/08/2016 8:10 PM  
Why are they surveying? Do you object? If you object, why?

Thanks
TimB4
(Virginia)

11/08/2016 8:12 PM  
Are they surveying your property or are they simply surveying the common area (that may be around your property)?
MarkM31
(Washington)

11/08/2016 10:57 PM  
Posted By ChristianN5 on 11/08/2016 4:39 PM
Does the hoa in fl have the right to servey a home owners property without permission or notification from the homeowner?

At first blush, yes
472.029 Authorization to enter lands of third parties; conditions.—
(1) IN GENERAL.—Surveyors and mappers or their subordinates may go on, over, and upon the lands of others when necessary to make surveys and maps or locate or set monuments, and, in so doing, may carry with them their agents and employees necessary for that purpose. Entry under the right granted by this subsection does not constitute trespass, and surveyors and mappers and their duly authorized agents or employees so entering are not liable to arrest or to a civil action by reason of such entry; however, this subsection does not give authority to registrants, subordinates, agents, or employees to destroy, injure, damage, or move any physical improvements on lands of another without the written permission of the landowner.

ChristianN5
(Florida)

11/09/2016 4:34 AM  
I think they we're serveying the common area but went behind my house and put stakes all around my lot. Never asked me, told me or mentioned it. Didn't come up at a meeting or was even voted on to spend the hoa money on this servey. The hoa just had people come on my property around my house without me knowing. Even the cable company lets me know they are going to be working around. This doesn't sound legal to me that the hoa can have people come on my property with no notice at all any time they want.

Someone here asked if I object and why. Do I object to them serveying the common area? No why would I. It's a common area. On the side and Behind my house. Absolutely I have an issue with it. Blinds are open, I may be swimming or my daughter might be laying out in the sun.
CjS
(Maryland)

11/09/2016 5:46 AM  
Do you back up to common area? I presume there are easements around you?
LarryB13
(Arizona)

11/09/2016 6:26 AM  
Posted By ChristianN5 on 11/09/2016 4:34 AM
I think they we're serveying the common area but went behind my house and put stakes all around my lot. Never asked me, told me or mentioned it. Didn't come up at a meeting or was even voted on to spend the hoa money on this servey. The hoa just had people come on my property around my house without me knowing. . . This doesn't sound legal to me that the hoa can have people come on my property with no notice at all any time they want.

I think Mark's citation of 472.029 answers all your questions. Surveyors are not required to announce their presence but may enter onto your property if they need to. I am unaware of any legal requirement for the HOA, as adjoining property owner, to obtain your permission to survey their own property. The association may have a legitimate concern about you or other adjoining property owners encroaching on the common areas.

If the association is concerned about encroachment, the topic of surveying may have been discussed in executive session as it would be a preliminary step in bringing legal action against those who may be encroaching, if any.

MarkM31
(Washington)

11/09/2016 8:16 AM  
I think they we're serveying the common area but went behind my house and put stakes all around my lot. Never asked me, told me or mentioned it. Didn't come up at a meeting or was even voted on to spend the hoa money on this servey. The hoa just had people come on my property around my house without me knowing. Even the cable company lets me know they are going to be working around. This doesn't sound legal to me that the hoa can have people come on my property with no notice at all any time they want.

Someone here asked if I object and why. Do I object to them serveying the common area? No why would I. It's a common area. On the side and Behind my house. Absolutely I have an issue with it. Blinds are open, I may be swimming or my daughter might be laying out in the sun.

Funny how the story changed. First they were surveying your lot, now they are surveying an adjacent area.

A lot of times the surveyors have to do more work than you would think to confirm lines and find other monuments.

So sorry, but life is kinda like that sometimes.
MichelleK5
(New York)

11/10/2016 7:41 AM  

It would have been nice of them to let you know they were going to survey, but it's not a requirement.

One of the first things we did when we purchased our property was do a survey. The markers are on the edge of our property lines. I have no doubt that somewhere, they stepped on my neighbors property. It's expected. There's no law that requires me to tell my neighbors and I didn't.

I know one didn't particularly care for the way the orange markers looked, but it is what it is.

I'm a little confused by your posts, but if your property borders a common area, you can't realistically expect the amount of privacy you'd like.
JohnC46
(South Carolina)

11/10/2016 8:54 AM  
Let me think about this. I backup to common property but I get upset when someone uses this common property. What does this make me?
Please login to post a reply (click Member Login on the menu).

Get 1 year of free community web site hosting from Community123.com!

Only members have access to all features.
Click here to join HOATalk for Free! Members click here to login and access all features.

General Legal Notice:  The content of forum messages are from the posting member and have not been reviewed nor endorsed by HOATalk.com.  Messages posted by HOATalk or other members are for informational purposes only, are not legal or professional advice and do not constitute an attorney-client relationship.  Readers should not act upon this information without seeking professional counsel.  HOATalk is not a licensed attorney, CPA, tax advisor, financial advisor or any other licensed professional.  HOATalk accepts ads from sponsors but does not verify sponsor qualifications nor endorse/guarantee any sponsor's product or service.
Legal Notice For Messages Posted by Sponsoring Attorneys: This message has been prepared by the sponsoring attorney for informational purposes only and does not constitute legal advice. This information is not intended to create, and receipt of it does not constitute an attorney-client relationship. Readers of HOATalk.com should not act on this information without seeking professional counsel. Please do not send any sponsoring attorney confidential information unless you speak with the sponsoring attorney or an attorney from the sponsoring attorney’s firm and get authorization to send that information to them. If you wish to initiate possible representation, please contact an attorney in the firm of the sponsoring attorney. Sponsoring attorneys that post messages here are licensed to practice law in a specific state or states as indicated in their message signature or sponsor’s profile page. (NOTE: A ‘sponsoring attorney’ is an attorney that is a HOATalk.com official sponsor and is identified as such in the posted message or on our sponsor page.)

Copyright HOA Talk.com, A Service of Community123 LLC ( Homeowners Association Discussions )   Terms Of Use  Privacy Statement