Get 1 year of free community web site hosting from Community123.com!
Saturday, April 04, 2020

HOATalk is a free service of Community123.com:

Get 1 free year community website and email newsletter hosting from Community123.com!
Only members have access to all features.
Click here to join HOATalk for Free! Members click here to login and access all features.
Subject: update: dog biting issue..
Prev Next
Please login to post a reply (click Member Login on the menu).
Author Messages
JimR24
(Texas)

04/07/2016 4:42 AM  
Hey everybody, i wanted to give you an update on where our Association is on our recent dog biting issue. For those of you who have not read the previous discussion thread abut this subject, a homeowner was bit by a dog within our common area - and our Board members felt it was appropriate for us to become involved.

Here are some of outcomes so far...

- our Association has responded by increasing its knowledge of the dog rescue program; thereby likely increasing the number of dogs which are rescued. Because of this incident, i feel that more of our homeowners will consider becoming more involved in the dog rescue program.

- all our homeowners are becoming more aware of the herding behavior of some species of dogs and the proper way to train (or untrain, in this case).

- we now have much more visibility within our community about the poor wording of our DCC&R (regarding pets and dog biting issues). This subject will be assigned to our Covenant Committee so a more healthy approach to this issue can come about.

- because of all of your kind consideration (and excellent discussion here at HOALeader.com), we are encouraged about bringing all kinds of resources in to help us come up with a better way to approach this issue should another dog bite of this kind happen again.

- because of your kind involvement here on this discussion board, we are aware that we are not alone regarding this subject. We know that others of you are concerned about this same issue.

**SPECIAL NOTE TO TIM: Tim, we are aware that you are working on this subject and hope you will share your work with us.**

- and, of course, by doing the above, we want to make things better for our Board, such that we (and future boards) will not be put into this kind of difficult situation again.

Thanks to all of you (and to the HOALeader Discussion Board) for being a part of this!

oljim, in texas

Lovin' life with my honey!
and, Treasurer of Condo Association
JimR24
(Texas)

04/07/2016 4:46 AM  
Apology to HOATalk.com.

I meant to reference the excellent work being done by HOATalk.com, not HOALeader.com...my bad.

oljim, in texas

MichelleK5
(New York)

04/07/2016 5:02 AM  
Hi Jim-

You said a lot there, but what exactly are you doing again? Lol..

Rescue is wonderful- I'm heavily involved in it. But not sure what that has to do with anything? Please explain.

Regarding your other points, it's wonderful that this brought up a discussion on how to handle bites in your community.
But has any of it changed the outcome of the current situation?

JimR24
(Texas)

04/07/2016 5:15 AM  
Posted By MichelleK5 on 04/07/2016 5:02 AM
Hi Jim-

You said a lot there, but what exactly are you doing again? Lol..

Rescue is wonderful- I'm heavily involved in it. But not sure what that has to do with anything? Please explain.

Regarding your other points, it's wonderful that this brought up a discussion on how to handle bites in your community.
But has any of it changed the outcome of the current situation?

Hi Michelle - we are doing all the things i've described in my above message and are looking forward to it!

The dog which bit is a rescue dog. My guess is that one of the outcomes of this incident is that more dogs will be rescued. Because of my background in ranching and farming, i am well aware of the herding behaviour of certain species of dogs. Sometimes, dogs need to be "untrained" because of their aptitudes - instead of trained...[smile]...

Because of the poor wording of our DCC&R, the current situation has not changed. Given the current circumstances, unfortunately, the dog has to be removed from our community. Our Board held a meeting with the homeowner and it went well. The meeting was emotional and very productive.

oljim, in texas

BanksS

04/07/2016 5:53 AM  
Jim,

You know how much I rspect your gentlemanly behavior on this site, I just wonder how you think a biting rescue dog will prompt others into the dog rescue world.. Personally I would think it would have the opposite affect. I do admire how you tackled this issue for future dog bite issues. Hopefully it won't come up too often in your comunity.
JimR24
(Texas)

04/07/2016 6:08 AM  
Posted By BanksS on 04/07/2016 5:53 AM
Jim,

You know how much I rspect your gentlemanly behavior on this site, I just wonder how you think a biting rescue dog will prompt others into the dog rescue world.. Personally I would think it would have the opposite affect. I do admire how you tackled this issue for future dog bite issues. Hopefully it won't come up too often in your comunity.

Well BanksS - after seeing how the meeting went, i believe there's a strong possibility of this (e.g. more sensitivity - and involvement - about the needs of rescue dogs) happening. Also, we will be having our Annual Meeting in the near future and i am understanding that this subject will likely be discussed then. The homeowner involved in this incident has been invited to speak at our Annual Meeting and i am hopeful she follows through with this.

Hey, i appreciate the kind words - maybe you'll be able put in a good word to my wife too...joke,joke,wink,wink - ..lol...

oljim, in texas

PitA

04/07/2016 6:08 AM  
When it comes to deed restrictions:

Fewer are better.

ESPECIALLY any restrictions which may pose liability upon the association.

eg. attempting to regulate dog behavior when a VOLUUME of public law is already in place

'poop' is another matter, albeit ALSO covered by existing legislation

ps. IMO, simply reference the existing actual law in the covenants as an association 'fining issue'
JimR24
(Texas)

04/07/2016 6:25 AM  
Posted By PitA on 04/07/2016 6:08 AM
When it comes to deed restrictions:

Fewer are better.

ESPECIALLY any restrictions which may pose liability upon the association.

eg. attempting to regulate dog behavior when a VOLUUME of public law is already in place

'poop' is another matter, albeit ALSO covered by existing legislation

ps. IMO, simply reference the existing actual law in the covenants as an association 'fining issue'

Excellent thinking PitA - IMHO...and i will be sharing this line of thinking with our Covenant Committee as they address this important subject.

Thanks!

oljim, in texas

Please login to post a reply (click Member Login on the menu).
Forums > Homeowner Association > HOA Discussions > update: dog biting issue..

Get 1 year of free community web site hosting from Community123.com!

Only members have access to all features.
Click here to join HOATalk for Free! Members click here to login and access all features.

General Legal Notice:  The content of forum messages are from the posting member and have not been reviewed nor endorsed by HOATalk.com.  Messages posted by HOATalk or other members are for informational purposes only, are not legal or professional advice and do not constitute an attorney-client relationship.  Readers should not act upon this information without seeking professional counsel.  HOATalk is not a licensed attorney, CPA, tax advisor, financial advisor or any other licensed professional.  HOATalk accepts ads from sponsors but does not verify sponsor qualifications nor endorse/guarantee any sponsor's product or service.
Legal Notice For Messages Posted by Sponsoring Attorneys: This message has been prepared by the sponsoring attorney for informational purposes only and does not constitute legal advice. This information is not intended to create, and receipt of it does not constitute an attorney-client relationship. Readers of HOATalk.com should not act on this information without seeking professional counsel. Please do not send any sponsoring attorney confidential information unless you speak with the sponsoring attorney or an attorney from the sponsoring attorney’s firm and get authorization to send that information to them. If you wish to initiate possible representation, please contact an attorney in the firm of the sponsoring attorney. Sponsoring attorneys that post messages here are licensed to practice law in a specific state or states as indicated in their message signature or sponsor’s profile page. (NOTE: A ‘sponsoring attorney’ is an attorney that is a HOATalk.com official sponsor and is identified as such in the posted message or on our sponsor page.)

Copyright HOA Talk.com, A Service of Community123 LLC ( Homeowners Association Discussions )   Terms Of Use  Privacy Statement