Get 1 year of free community web site hosting from Community123.com!
Tuesday, November 30, 2021

HOATalk is a free service of Community123.com:

Easy to use website tools to help your board
Only members have access to all features.
Click here to join HOATalk for Free! Members click here to login and access all features.
Subject: Suggested Traffic Calming for Speeders
Prev Next
Please login to post a reply (click Member Login on the menu).
Author Messages
BillK15
(Washington)

07/30/2015 11:07 AM  
I am a BOD member in a 75-home community with one entrance/exit. We, along with other communities I'm sure, have a problem with speeders. We have placed 20 MPH signs throughout the community, and we have several families who use the "kids at play" signs that seem to work sometimes. I have even gone face-to-face with the repeat offenders, to no avail. We don't have wide enough roads to install roundabouts or other traffic calming devices, that I know, of other than speed humps. I'm not a fan of speed humps, and I've heard emergency responders aren't a fan either. However I'm also looking for new ways to slow a few drivers down before they hit someone. I'm wondering if anyone has experienced any backlash to installing speed humps in their communities? Has anyone tried other innovative ways to slow the cars down? The community members (the few who attend the meetings) are split 50-50 on installing the speed humps. Our BOD can act without input from the community, but I'd hate to install them, then get sued.
MelissaP1
(Alabama)

07/30/2015 1:10 PM  
Our city did something kind of idiotic... They installed what amounted to "flower gardens" in the turn lanes. They were curbed all they way around. The plants of course died from the gas fumes and people complained endlessly till they were removed. However, it was "inventive" way of slowing down drivers and keeping them in their lanes.

I find signs have little effect on slowing people down. The speed humps have certain restrictions and traffic flow requirements. They don't put them in areas of little traffic. Plus the emergency crews do not like them much.

I say if you want something inventive? Make a mini-memorial like a cross. If your worried someone may get injured or die, just pretend someone did. Nothing like seeing a reminder that makes one slow down to think...

Former HOA President
TimB4
(Tennessee)

07/30/2015 5:41 PM  
I came across a section of road today in Williamsburg VA that had an interesting solution.
A section of the street was paved with cement and river stones throughout (gives a cobble stone look but bumpier ride). This caused everyone to slow down.

I'll see if I can find it again and take a picture (which will likely give a better idea of what I'm talking about) before I leave.

DjB2
(Pennsylvania)

07/30/2015 6:25 PM  
One interesting solution I've seen in a few other developments (not ours) is to install barricades at select intervals which completely block off one of the two directions of traffic, with accompanying stop and/or yield to oncoming traffic signs (which can be placed right on their facing surface). They obviously interrupt the flow of traffic and generally force vehicles to come to a complete stop. They can be purchased as lightweight plastic hollow items in bright colors, one lane wide and about 3' tall, and they're filled on site with water to keep them in place. They can be drained and moved at will. Putting them up at specific locations and blocking both lanes of travel with 20 yards or so between them will generally FORCE traffic to stop -- although if the road ahead is clear, your current speeders could just fly around them like some kind of slalom course, and it might not slow them down when the roads are clear. Plus, many of your residents who do not speed might complain about them. But I have seen them in action and they do tend to be a perhaps unusual but effective solution. Just an idea. . .
PitA

07/31/2015 7:21 AM  
? speed humps (not bumps) ?

? hired off duty police officers ?

? snipers ?

? nail strips ?

! fuh-ged-'bout-it !

the posted signage removes any liability (if properly installed)

remember: your state police can not eliminate speeding
PitA

07/31/2015 7:25 AM  
ps.

anecdotal:

most (albeit older) drivers in my 'hood' keep well UNDER our limit (19 mph) so when a driver goes by at 18-20 they APPEAR to be flying (by comparison)

I have personally been accosted for speeding while riding my BICYCLE at 14-16
mph - guess they are jealous
NpS
(Pennsylvania)

07/31/2015 7:55 AM  
For anyone who's old enough to remember Richard Boone (Palladin) - When he was a kid, he put ketchup in the guts of a child size dummy and strung it up around a blind curve. When a speeding car hit it, he's run out into the street screaming "You killed my brother."

Sikubali jukumu. Read all posts at your own risk.
GenoS
(Florida)

07/31/2015 11:27 AM  
Posted By NpS on 07/31/2015 7:55 AM
For anyone who's old enough to remember Richard Boone (Palladin) - When he was a kid, he put ketchup in the guts of a child size dummy and strung it up around a blind curve. When a speeding car hit it, he's run out into the street screaming "You killed my brother."

I don't remember that. I do remember stuffing old clothes with leaves and such one Halloween to make a dummy which we tied on a rope and arranged in the tree branches overhanging the road to fall directly in front of passing vehicles. What great fun! We only did it for a couple of nights and only dropped it in front of people we kids didn't like in the neighborhood. We're lucky we didn't get anybody killed.
MikeS1

07/31/2015 12:30 PM  
We added speed humps (Not bumps). These are are the composite (not asphalt) type and it slows them down to about 10mph. In the winter months, we have our contractor remove them for the snow plows and then reinstall in the spring.
Everyone loves them. No complaints.
Please login to post a reply (click Member Login on the menu).
Forums > Homeowner Association > HOA Discussions > Suggested Traffic Calming for Speeders

Only members have access to all features.
Click here to join HOATalk for Free! Members click here to login and access all features.

General Legal Notice:  The content of forum messages are from the posting member and have not been reviewed nor endorsed by HOATalk.com.  Messages posted by HOATalk or other members are for informational purposes only, are not legal or professional advice and do not constitute an attorney-client relationship.  Readers should not act upon this information without seeking professional counsel.  HOATalk is not a licensed attorney, CPA, tax advisor, financial advisor or any other licensed professional.  HOATalk accepts ads from sponsors but does not verify sponsor qualifications nor endorse/guarantee any sponsor's product or service.
Legal Notice For Messages Posted by Sponsoring Attorneys: This message has been prepared by the sponsoring attorney for informational purposes only and does not constitute legal advice. This information is not intended to create, and receipt of it does not constitute an attorney-client relationship. Readers of HOATalk.com should not act on this information without seeking professional counsel. Please do not send any sponsoring attorney confidential information unless you speak with the sponsoring attorney or an attorney from the sponsoring attorney’s firm and get authorization to send that information to them. If you wish to initiate possible representation, please contact an attorney in the firm of the sponsoring attorney. Sponsoring attorneys that post messages here are licensed to practice law in a specific state or states as indicated in their message signature or sponsor’s profile page. (NOTE: A ‘sponsoring attorney’ is an attorney that is a HOATalk.com official sponsor and is identified as such in the posted message or on our sponsor page.)

Copyright HOA Talk.com, A Service of Community123 LLC ( Homeowners Association Discussions )   Terms Of Use  Privacy Statement