Get 1 year of free community web site hosting from Community123.com!
Saturday, April 04, 2020

HOATalk is a free service of Community123.com:

Get 1 free year community website and email newsletter hosting from Community123.com!
Only members have access to all features.
Click here to join HOATalk for Free! Members click here to login and access all features.
Subject: What to do about a board member listening to football games?
Prev Next
Please login to post a reply (click Member Login on the menu).
Author Messages
SandiP3
(California)

01/10/2015 4:08 PM  
Members have noted a distance in the participation of one of our board members and it is believed that he is listening to football games via his bluetooth device during board meetings. How should this be addressed during the board meeting? What action can we take?
KerryL1
(California)

01/10/2015 4:48 PM  
When in the world do you have board meetings? Right now I think such games only are on Sundays!

Are you on the Board? How have members "noted a distance in participation" of this person? I'm not sure what that means.

Yesterday, a director next to me at a special and serious executive session of the board began gnawing on an apple. I quietly asked him to stop as the noise was distracting. He did.

If a director is certain this man is not paying attention to the meeting because of listening to some device, they should slip him a note or request that he stop. If he does not, they might ask him to leave the meeting and return when he's ready to pay attention.
AmandaR2
(South Carolina)

01/10/2015 4:53 PM  
I agree with Kerry, UNLESS it's TOM BRADY playing!!! LOL
SandiP3
(California)

01/10/2015 5:55 PM  
Our board meetings are on Monday, thus conflicting with Monday Night Football. However, the actual sport is irrelevant, in a few months it will be basketball, then baseball for this man. Yes, I am on the board. He has been asked discretely to remove the Bluetooth. Members have also noticed we are having to repeat statements, get his attention for votes, and responding to agenda items that were previously discussed and voted on.
AmandaR2
(South Carolina)

01/10/2015 6:09 PM  
My guess is he'll be voted out next election, especially since even members have taken notice.
KerryL1
(California)

01/10/2015 6:48 PM  
Have an executive session where his inattention is listed on your agenda. Ask him if there's a way the board can assist him so that he's "on the same page" as the rest of you.

If he says he refuses to stop using his device, single him out at an open meeting and ask that he turn it off or whatever. Is there a reason you, the board president or other directors don't speak with him about his rudeness??

It's our duty as directors to attend meetings, be prepared for them, pay attention and contribute.
CyrstalB
(Maryland)

01/11/2015 5:40 AM  
Based upon the question itself, you can either,
Put them in a time out;
Send them to the principles office;
Give them detention.

MelissaP1
(Alabama)

01/11/2015 7:42 AM  
People do this in church all the time. I know they do this at my work. It's just bad manners. At least they are in attendance and football season is short. If people don't like it, then they can vote him out or not elect him next time around. My feeling is you have someone who is willing to serve on the board. That does not happen every day. It's not like people are falling all over each other to be there.

You also may want to change the date/time of your meetings. We had ours on Thursday nights once a month at 6 pm. It was in time for people to get off work and before "high viewing" shows on TV.

Former HOA President
SheliaH
(Indiana)

01/11/2015 4:01 PM  
Posted By KerryL1 on 01/10/2015 6:48 PM
Have an executive session where his inattention is listed on your agenda. Ask him if there's a way the board can assist him so that he's "on the same page" as the rest of you.

If he says he refuses to stop using his device, single him out at an open meeting and ask that he turn it off or whatever. Is there a reason you, the board president or other directors don't speak with him about his rudeness??

It's our duty as directors to attend meetings, be prepared for them, pay attention and contribute.

Not only do I agree with Kerry, I would add that the board president should announce at the beginning of the meeting that cell phones, pagers, etc., be turned off (or at least set on vibrate) so that everyone can listen to the proceedings and board members can debate and vote as necessary, no questions or comments from the floor (except during the resident forum) and other stuff. This way, everyone's hears what's expected- if he continues to behave like a dweeb and no one calls him on it, well, they get the board member they deserve
KellyM3
(North Carolina)

01/11/2015 7:12 PM  
Who cares? I mean that with sincerity. At least a board member who is "checked out" is not a board member who gets in the way of doing business. The drawback is an absent board member you may need in order to establish quorum. It would be personally annoying perhaps but HOA boards aren't declaring war or approving lunar missions.
SheliaH
(Indiana)

01/12/2015 9:27 AM  
Posted By KellyM3 on 01/11/2015 7:12 PM
Who cares? I mean that with sincerity. At least a board member who is "checked out" is not a board member who gets in the way of doing business. The drawback is an absent board member you may need in order to establish quorum. It would be personally annoying perhaps but HOA boards aren't declaring war or approving lunar missions.

No, they aren't discussing war, but they are discussing which contractor to accept, how much should be spend on this or that project, if assessments should be increased and by how much. Not paying attention because you'd rather watch or listen to Monday Night Football or the Real Housewives of (fill in the blank) is disrespectful of everyone else's time and effort.

I'm sorry some Board agenda items aren't as interesting as say, Scandal (my favorite show!), but if you'd rather watch that, stay home. Otherwise, you have to spend more time, getting the person back up to speed when it's time to take a vote because this dumbass didn't pay attention to what was discussed or even what the motion was about, let alone who made it. I don't want someone like that making decisions that affect me. Maybe if he or she paid attention, the meeting would end sooner and he could get home in time for the fourth quarter!

I had to point out this type of behavior to a board member whose phone had a habit of ringing during the meeting and the guy would stop and hold a conversation while we were talking! He apologized - and then his phone rang again! At least he had the decency to go in the bathroom to finish the conversation.

I did the same thing to a lady who brought her kids to a special homeowner's meeting - the kids were little and as kids do, they were running around and making a lot of noise. Finally, I said, we'll continue as soon as the parents calm down the little ones. She tried to play it off, but a few people rolled their eyes at her and she got the kids to quiet down.

There are a number of ways to shorten meetings so we can all get back to doing more interesting stuff - use those rather than nod off listing to whatever.
KerryL1
(California)

01/12/2015 9:50 AM  
I disagree with Kelly too. Boards do manage the funds of the HOA's members. That's a big deal to me.

A "checked out" director causes meetings to run longer & with interruptions because they often ask that this or that be repeated, as Sandi points out. This happens enough to our Board because one director refuses to get hearing aids (says they don't work for him). But sometimes, he simply is not paying attention. and we have to r repeat important numbers or points or even tell him where we are in our directs packets!

This makes our entire Board appear disorganized and sloppy, which doesn't elicit trust or respect from the Owners who do attend meetings.

Please login to post a reply (click Member Login on the menu).
Forums > Homeowner Association > HOA Discussions > What to do about a board member listening to football games?

Get 1 year of free community web site hosting from Community123.com!

Only members have access to all features.
Click here to join HOATalk for Free! Members click here to login and access all features.

General Legal Notice:  The content of forum messages are from the posting member and have not been reviewed nor endorsed by HOATalk.com.  Messages posted by HOATalk or other members are for informational purposes only, are not legal or professional advice and do not constitute an attorney-client relationship.  Readers should not act upon this information without seeking professional counsel.  HOATalk is not a licensed attorney, CPA, tax advisor, financial advisor or any other licensed professional.  HOATalk accepts ads from sponsors but does not verify sponsor qualifications nor endorse/guarantee any sponsor's product or service.
Legal Notice For Messages Posted by Sponsoring Attorneys: This message has been prepared by the sponsoring attorney for informational purposes only and does not constitute legal advice. This information is not intended to create, and receipt of it does not constitute an attorney-client relationship. Readers of HOATalk.com should not act on this information without seeking professional counsel. Please do not send any sponsoring attorney confidential information unless you speak with the sponsoring attorney or an attorney from the sponsoring attorney’s firm and get authorization to send that information to them. If you wish to initiate possible representation, please contact an attorney in the firm of the sponsoring attorney. Sponsoring attorneys that post messages here are licensed to practice law in a specific state or states as indicated in their message signature or sponsor’s profile page. (NOTE: A ‘sponsoring attorney’ is an attorney that is a HOATalk.com official sponsor and is identified as such in the posted message or on our sponsor page.)

Copyright HOA Talk.com, A Service of Community123 LLC ( Homeowners Association Discussions )   Terms Of Use  Privacy Statement