Get 1 year of free community web site hosting from Community123.com!
Monday, April 06, 2020

HOATalk is a free service of Community123.com:

Get 1 free year community website and email newsletter hosting from Community123.com!
Only members have access to all features.
Click here to join HOATalk for Free! Members click here to login and access all features.
Subject: Amendment to Iowa Code 614.24
Prev Next
Please login to post a reply (click Member Login on the menu).
Author Messages
BanksS

07/16/2014 5:11 PM  
Hi All,

http://amesiowalaw.wordpress.com/tag/homeowners-association/

To those interested, the Iowa legislature amended Iowa Code 614.24. It's an amendment to the Iowa 21-year time limit to preserve certain covenants and restrictions.

My interpretation is that certain common elements are not now bound by the 21-year time limit to preserve and the law attempts to list those elements such as roads, wells, etc. I see this as a positive law for Iowa HOA's owning those particular elements and their need to assess members for the operation and maintenance of those elements.

The law took affect July 1, 2014.
LarryB13
(Arizona)

07/16/2014 9:29 PM  
Banks,

I am a big fan of Iowa's 21-year time limit on covenants. I especially liked the part that required recording covenant renewals in a book kept specifically for that purpose so that if a renewal is not recorded there it can be definitively said that it has not been renewed. I wish more states would do that.

It had not occurred to me previously that tossing out the restrictions on property use also meant tossing out other agreements for the mutual benefit of all, such as maintaining the roads. I am not sure that the Iowa legislature's attempt at trying to separate those parts that get tossed from those that get retained is the correct way to go. If the old CC&R's containing the road agreements expired, there is nothing to prevent the owners effected from entering into a new agreement for just the roads. My research has found that common law already holds that those who use a road have an enforceable obligation to pay for its maintenance.

BanksS

07/17/2014 5:04 AM  
Posted By LarryB13 on 07/16/2014 9:29 PM
Banks,

I am a big fan of Iowa's 21-year time limit on covenants. I especially liked the part that required recording covenant renewals in a book kept specifically for that purpose so that if a renewal is not recorded there it can be definitively said that it has not been renewed. I wish more states would do that.

It had not occurred to me previously that tossing out the restrictions on property use also meant tossing out other agreements for the mutual benefit of all, such as maintaining the roads. I am not sure that the Iowa legislature's attempt at trying to separate those parts that get tossed from those that get retained is the correct way to go. If the old CC&R's containing the road agreements expired, there is nothing to prevent the owners effected from entering into a new agreement for just the roads. My research has found that common law already holds that those who use a road have an enforceable obligation to pay for its maintenance.

Good points Larry. My attorney agrees with you on your common law statement. The Chipman vs Kearney case contradicts that common law as the Iowa Supreme Court ruled that Kearney wasn't obligated to pay for the road maintenance. But my attorney always stated that the obligation to pay means that the fees have to be reasonable. Otherwise what would keep the Association from charging a million dollars. If challenged, one would have to prove what the actual costs of the maintenance are and divided proportionately among those benefiting from the element. For me, it was never about not paying, it was about the amount. There is also a common law called unjust enrichment.

Please login to post a reply (click Member Login on the menu).
Forums > Homeowner Association > HOA Discussions > Amendment to Iowa Code 614.24

Get 1 year of free community web site hosting from Community123.com!

Only members have access to all features.
Click here to join HOATalk for Free! Members click here to login and access all features.

General Legal Notice:  The content of forum messages are from the posting member and have not been reviewed nor endorsed by HOATalk.com.  Messages posted by HOATalk or other members are for informational purposes only, are not legal or professional advice and do not constitute an attorney-client relationship.  Readers should not act upon this information without seeking professional counsel.  HOATalk is not a licensed attorney, CPA, tax advisor, financial advisor or any other licensed professional.  HOATalk accepts ads from sponsors but does not verify sponsor qualifications nor endorse/guarantee any sponsor's product or service.
Legal Notice For Messages Posted by Sponsoring Attorneys: This message has been prepared by the sponsoring attorney for informational purposes only and does not constitute legal advice. This information is not intended to create, and receipt of it does not constitute an attorney-client relationship. Readers of HOATalk.com should not act on this information without seeking professional counsel. Please do not send any sponsoring attorney confidential information unless you speak with the sponsoring attorney or an attorney from the sponsoring attorney’s firm and get authorization to send that information to them. If you wish to initiate possible representation, please contact an attorney in the firm of the sponsoring attorney. Sponsoring attorneys that post messages here are licensed to practice law in a specific state or states as indicated in their message signature or sponsor’s profile page. (NOTE: A ‘sponsoring attorney’ is an attorney that is a HOATalk.com official sponsor and is identified as such in the posted message or on our sponsor page.)

Copyright HOA Talk.com, A Service of Community123 LLC ( Homeowners Association Discussions )   Terms Of Use  Privacy Statement