Get 1 year of free community web site hosting from Community123.com!
Sunday, April 05, 2020

HOATalk is a free service of Community123.com:

Get 1 free year community website and email newsletter hosting from Community123.com!
Only members have access to all features.
Click here to join HOATalk for Free! Members click here to login and access all features.
Subject: Yet Another "Quorum" Question
Prev Next
Please login to post a reply (click Member Login on the menu).
Author Messages
RickM1
(Texas)

11/09/2006 1:17 PM  
Our current (1995) Bylaws in Texas reads that for annual meetings a quorum is:

"The members holding a majority of the votes that may be cast at a meeting who attend the meeting in person or by proxy shall constitute a quorum at that meeting. The members at a duly called or held meeting at which a quorum is present may continue to transact business even if enough members leave the meeting so that less than a quorum remains. However, no action may be approved without the vote of at least a majority of the numbers of members required to constitute a quorum. If a quorum is present at no time during the meeting, a majority of the members present may adjorn and reconvene the meeting one time without further notice."

NOTE: A voting member must be "..in good standing and present and entitled to vote"

We have 20 members in good standing.

I find the bylaw above difficult to follow - the first sentence suggests that if 3 "good" voters attended we would have a quorum?

Or does this bylaw describe a simple "quorum" of 51%...11 members in good standing.

Thanks as always?
PaulH3
(Connecticut)

11/09/2006 1:38 PM  
Rick,

First off, thank you for posting the actual wording that appears in your Bylaws. I wish more people would get into that practice.

They way I read it, it looks like 51% of the eligible votes must be represented to constitute a quorum.

RogerB
(Colorado)

11/09/2006 2:05 PM  
Rick, I think this to be not written correctly. My interpretation, as written, means that as few as 1 member in good standing is a quorum. That is based on my belief that the votes which may be cast at a meeting by members in good standing or by proxies of members in good standing is always 100%.

I think what was really meant to be written is "A quorum is established when over 50% of the members in good standing are present either in person or represented by a proxy."
RickM1
(Texas)

11/09/2006 2:25 PM  
Thanks for the quick answers ... and Roger you point out my confusion. Many of our bylaw passages, like the one I posted, are very vaque. I see many interpretations discussed by very sharp HOA people...on something as simple as a quorum.

If I take our written version literally, it says 1 member is a quorum at a meeting. Logically I can believe that the writer probably meant 51%.

But, taking action based upon what you "think" the bylaws really mean, seems a little scary - should someone legally challenge past decisions taken on one's assumption. In this case, assuming 51% would seem the safest approach.

Thanks again guys.
BrianB
(California)

11/09/2006 7:18 PM  
lol.. i see it a third way. 20 members in good standing. you must have 11 in person or by proxy to have a quorum. Then, all but one person can indeed leave, once quorum is established, and that last one person can vote, etc..
So, in my opinion, you need eleven to start, then can have any number after that.
GeraldT1

11/11/2006 6:46 AM  
RickM1,

Kudos on providing the exact wording.

I may have overlooked something and welcome insight. However, I do not read the first sentence to suggest that if 3 "good" voters attended you have a quorum. Perhaps someone can explain the logic thread to the question How in RickM1's scenario 3 voters could be a majority of the 20 votes that may be cast (quorum)?

I agree with PaulH3 and will take it further that IMI(interpretation) definitively 51% of the eligible votes must be represented (in person or by proxy) to constitute a quorum AND vote. As your by-laws state "no action may approved without the vote of at least a majority of the members required to constitute a quorum." In other words, if all members are in good standing, you need a majority of the 51% or 6 owners to approve something. But you must attain quorum first by the higher standard of a majority of the members in good standing.

That is why it is always good to provide members advance notice of all the items that will be voted upon or need approval so they can instruct the proxy holder to vote accordingly and a new meeting won't need to be called.

I think an intersting question is if the members in good standing are 18 (not 20), do 10 members, instead of 11, constitute quorum? That has been a hotly debated topic on HOATalk.

GeraldT1
NNJ

Please login to post a reply (click Member Login on the menu).
Forums > Homeowner Association > HOA Discussions > Yet Another "Quorum" Question

Get 1 year of free community web site hosting from Community123.com!

Only members have access to all features.
Click here to join HOATalk for Free! Members click here to login and access all features.

General Legal Notice:  The content of forum messages are from the posting member and have not been reviewed nor endorsed by HOATalk.com.  Messages posted by HOATalk or other members are for informational purposes only, are not legal or professional advice and do not constitute an attorney-client relationship.  Readers should not act upon this information without seeking professional counsel.  HOATalk is not a licensed attorney, CPA, tax advisor, financial advisor or any other licensed professional.  HOATalk accepts ads from sponsors but does not verify sponsor qualifications nor endorse/guarantee any sponsor's product or service.
Legal Notice For Messages Posted by Sponsoring Attorneys: This message has been prepared by the sponsoring attorney for informational purposes only and does not constitute legal advice. This information is not intended to create, and receipt of it does not constitute an attorney-client relationship. Readers of HOATalk.com should not act on this information without seeking professional counsel. Please do not send any sponsoring attorney confidential information unless you speak with the sponsoring attorney or an attorney from the sponsoring attorney’s firm and get authorization to send that information to them. If you wish to initiate possible representation, please contact an attorney in the firm of the sponsoring attorney. Sponsoring attorneys that post messages here are licensed to practice law in a specific state or states as indicated in their message signature or sponsor’s profile page. (NOTE: A ‘sponsoring attorney’ is an attorney that is a HOATalk.com official sponsor and is identified as such in the posted message or on our sponsor page.)

Copyright HOA Talk.com, A Service of Community123 LLC ( Homeowners Association Discussions )   Terms Of Use  Privacy Statement