Get 1 year of free community web site hosting from Community123.com!
Sunday, February 16, 2020
Get 1 free year community web site hosting from Community123.com!
Only members have access to all features.
Click here to join HOATalk for Free! Members click here to login and access all features.
Subject:  Class Action Suit- defective furnace
Prev Next
Please login to post a reply (click Member Login on the menu).
Author Messages
PatsyO2
(California)

05/16/2010 8:55 AM  
I just recently found out that the manufacturer of my defective furnace had a class action suit against them in 2001. My HOA didn't alert us until 2002 that our furnaces were defective and never mentioned anything about this lawsuit. At that time our board and operation manager were incompetent; last year the homeowners voted all of them out.

I approached our current board and management company about this and I'm afraid they want to just sweep it away. This is how I worded my request, "I'm inquiring on this past class action suit irrespective if I was entitled to it or not. In the future if something like this happens again as a (community name)homeowner am I solely responsible for being notified about alerts, recalls, or class action suits pertaining to my (community name) town home?

Should I just drop the matter and I think the current board would I do because it means more headaches for them?

Thank you,
Patsy
JohnB26

05/16/2010 10:58 AM  
Who owns the furnace in question?

If you ... your problem.
If it is a common element ... HOA problem.
PatsyO2
(California)

05/16/2010 11:07 AM  
This is a furnace in my attic and I realize it's "inside" and not an outside fixture. But we found out about the alert from the HOA in 2002.

Thanks,
PatsyO2
SteveM9
(Massachusetts)

05/16/2010 1:31 PM  
Should I just drop the matter and I think the current board would I do because it means more headaches for them?

I'm confused, this happened 9 years ago. What solution are you looking for?
RobertR1
(South Carolina)

05/16/2010 2:26 PM  
Patsy,
The question was: Who owns the furnance? Who changes tthe filters and who pays for maintenance?
DonnaS
(Tennessee)

05/16/2010 3:24 PM  

Patsy,

Is it still operating okay? If it is I wonder why the concern now. Probably out of any warranty by now anyhow and as long as it hasn't blown up, I'd say that you might have not had a defective one.
PatsyO2
(California)

05/16/2010 3:25 PM  
There were 132 townhomes with these defective furnaces in our attics. Each home owner is responsible to maintain their furnaces. But it was the HOA that alerted us about the furnace defective in 2002. They contracted heating company to inspect each furnace and gave us an "ok" but find out later they ignored the warnings sent out by the CPSC. Just this year the new HOA board is enforcing they we have them inspected. The gas company "red tagged" my furnace last week.

GlenL
(Ohio)

05/16/2010 4:16 PM  
Patsy, a lot can happen in a year let alone nine, I would say that the HOA did its due diligence back in 2002. You need to contact the furnace manufacturer and find out if you are still covered in the settlement or if it has expired.

Studies show that 5 out of 4 people have problems with fractions
Please login to post a reply (click Member Login on the menu).
Forums > Homeowner Association > HOA Discussions > Class Action Suit- defective furnace

Get 2 months of free community web site hosting from Community123.com!

News Articles Provided by: Community Associations Network
News, articles and blogs about condos/HOA's

Only members have access to all features.
Click here to join HOATalk for Free! Members click here to login and access all features.

General Legal Notice:  The content of forum messages are from the posting member and have not been reviewed nor endorsed by HOATalk.com.  Messages posted by HOATalk or other members are for informational purposes only, are not legal or professional advice and do not constitute an attorney-client relationship.  Readers should not act upon this information without seeking professional counsel.  HOATalk is not a licensed attorney, CPA, tax advisor, financial advisor or any other licensed professional.  HOATalk accepts ads from sponsors but does not verify sponsor qualifications nor endorse/guarantee any sponsor's product or service.
HindmanSanchez Legal Notice:  (For messages posted by HindmanSanchez) This message has been prepared by HindmanSanchez for informational purposes only and does not constitute legal advice. This information is not intended to create, and receipt of it does not constitute an attorney-client relationship. Members of HOATalk.com should not act on this information without seeking professional counsel. Please do not send us confidential information unless you speak with one of our attorneys and get authorization to send that information to us. If you wish to initiate possible representation, please contact an attorney in our firm. Our attorneys are licensed to practice law in the state of Colorado only.

Legal Notice For Messages Posted by Sponsoring Attorneys: This message has been prepared by the sponsoring attorney for informational purposes only and does not constitute legal advice. This information is not intended to create, and receipt of it does not constitute an attorney-client relationship. Readers of HOATalk.com should not act on this information without seeking professional counsel. Please do not send any sponsoring attorney confidential information unless you speak with the sponsoring attorney or an attorney from the sponsoring attorney’s firm and get authorization to send that information to them. If you wish to initiate possible representation, please contact an attorney in the firm of the sponsoring attorney. Sponsoring attorneys that post messages here are licensed to practice law in a specific state or states as indicated in their message signature or sponsor’s profile page. (NOTE: A ‘sponsoring attorney’ is an attorney that is a HOATalk.com official sponsor and is identified as such in the posted message or on our sponsor page.)

Copyright HOA Talk.com, A Service of Community123 LLC ( Homeowners Association Discussions )   Terms Of Use  Privacy Statement