Get 2 months of free community web site hosting from Community123.com!
Tuesday, October 22, 2019
Only members have access to all features.
Click here to join HOATalk for Free! Members click here to login and access all features.
Subject: Rodent control
Prev Next
Please login to post a reply (click Member Login on the menu).
Author Messages
RonaldM2
(Wisconsin)

04/23/2010 11:21 AM  
One of the residents in our communtiy of 26 condo's has a couple of chipmonks that have entered her attic. She would like to have a professinal exterminator remove the pests. Should the association pay the bill or should the resident pay? We are a self managed community.
GlenL
(Ohio)

04/23/2010 11:29 AM  
It all depends on what your documents say on who is responsible for what. Are the chipmunks in her property or are they in common areas. In our COA the Association would pay because they had to chew through a common element to get inside the building.

Studies show that 5 out of 4 people have problems with fractions
AnnaD2
(Florida)

04/23/2010 3:30 PM  
Ronald---Glenn is correct. WHO is responsible for the "exterior" parts of your building? At my place the Association is responsible for the exterior parts. If YOUR exterior parts are wood and critters can chew through them, then the association would be responsible. Or (again like at my place) there is a hole in the roof then the association would be responsible.

However---if there was a hole in a screen, which is MY responsibility, then I would have to pay....OR if I leave my front door open with no screen door then again I would be responsible.

This may take a while to resolve...so be prepared for some finger pointing.
SteveM9
(Massachusetts)

04/23/2010 6:23 PM  
If she has exclusive use of the attic I would say she is responsible. No different than having a mouse in your house.

If the attic is not used by anyone and is just part of the building, I would say the HOA is responsible.
RobertR1
(South Carolina)

04/23/2010 11:16 PM  
I would venture to say nearly all condos manage a pest control contract. If it is ants, snakes, rodents or Confusion Bugs or whatever and they are on the property "The Pest Control service" is called. Outside their contract? Some one (the Board) likely decides. If the individual is respnsible for the infestation, then the individual pays. Appears to me that whatever management you have in place makes a decision, right wrong or whatever, who knows, but someone has to make the decision and it can't be left up to the individual or you know what decision that would be.
GlenL
(Ohio)

04/24/2010 5:14 AM  
Actually Robert, a few years ago to stem confusion over who was responsible for what, I came up with a guide and had it vetted by the HOA attorney before sending it out to the homeowners. We had homeowners calling the MC for a problem and then getting upset when they got a bill for it.

Attachment: 142414492954.doc

Studies show that 5 out of 4 people have problems with fractions
MariaC
(Maryland)

04/28/2010 12:43 PM  
Ronald, whoever ends up paying for it, please have them use a humane service that will trap and relocate the chipmunks and then make the attic inaccessible to them! Your city's/county's animal control department could provide guidance as well.
LenR2
(Illinois)

05/24/2016 10:51 PM  
I agree with the thoughts presented.
MikeD15
(California)

05/28/2016 3:52 AM  
I agree with AnnaD2 post, as If Your exterior parts are of wood and critters can chew through them, then the association would be responsible. I suddenly remember an incidence when one of my friend also had to deal with rodents problem in attic of her society, but in that situation the society HOA took initiative to call http://californiarodentcontrol.com/attic-decontamination/ for restoration of the attic. I think HOA attorney should lead to look over the problem.
ShawnP1

09/15/2019 8:45 PM  
I agree with other comments in regards to who ever is responsible for the exterior. I would figure it would be the owner of the unit to hire an exterminator to resolve the interior infestation. Then they can present the inspection report to the HOA. That way the exterior entry points can be prepared, in conjunction with interior control.
https://www.lakewoodexterminating.com/pest-library/chipmunks/
Please login to post a reply (click Member Login on the menu).

News Articles Provided by: Community Associations Network
News, articles and blogs about condos/HOA's

Only members have access to all features.
Click here to join HOATalk for Free! Members click here to login and access all features.

General Legal Notice:  The content of forum messages are from the posting member and have not been reviewed nor endorsed by HOATalk.com.  Messages posted by HOATalk or other members are for informational purposes only, are not legal or professional advice and do not constitute an attorney-client relationship.  Readers should not act upon this information without seeking professional counsel.  HOATalk is not a licensed attorney, CPA, tax advisor, financial advisor or any other licensed professional.  HOATalk accepts ads from sponsors but does not verify sponsor qualifications nor endorse/guarantee any sponsor's product or service.
HindmanSanchez Legal Notice:  (For messages posted by HindmanSanchez) This message has been prepared by HindmanSanchez for informational purposes only and does not constitute legal advice. This information is not intended to create, and receipt of it does not constitute an attorney-client relationship. Members of HOATalk.com should not act on this information without seeking professional counsel. Please do not send us confidential information unless you speak with one of our attorneys and get authorization to send that information to us. If you wish to initiate possible representation, please contact an attorney in our firm. Our attorneys are licensed to practice law in the state of Colorado only.

Legal Notice For Messages Posted by Sponsoring Attorneys: This message has been prepared by the sponsoring attorney for informational purposes only and does not constitute legal advice. This information is not intended to create, and receipt of it does not constitute an attorney-client relationship. Readers of HOATalk.com should not act on this information without seeking professional counsel. Please do not send any sponsoring attorney confidential information unless you speak with the sponsoring attorney or an attorney from the sponsoring attorney’s firm and get authorization to send that information to them. If you wish to initiate possible representation, please contact an attorney in the firm of the sponsoring attorney. Sponsoring attorneys that post messages here are licensed to practice law in a specific state or states as indicated in their message signature or sponsor’s profile page. (NOTE: A ‘sponsoring attorney’ is an attorney that is a HOATalk.com official sponsor and is identified as such in the posted message or on our sponsor page.)

Copyright HOA Talk.com, A Service of Community123 LLC ( Homeowners Association Discussions )   Terms Of Use  Privacy Statement