Get 1 year of free community web site hosting from Community123.com!
Saturday, September 19, 2020

HOATalk is a free service of Community123.com:

Easy to use website tools to help your board
Only members have access to all features.
Click here to join HOATalk for Free! Members click here to login and access all features.
Subject:  pool phone required in Florida
Prev Next
Please login to post a reply (click Member Login on the menu).
Author Messages
BarbaraD6
(Florida)

07/24/2009 3:42 PM  
We have a pay phone at our community pool.Our new pm stated we don't need to have a phone at the pool. The board and residents were always told we had to have one as it's the law. I can't find the law pertaining to pool phones. Can anyone help out on this issue? We are a HOA community in Pasco County,Florida.
Barbara
JohnB7
(South Carolina)

07/24/2009 4:33 PM  
W/O a phone how would 911 be called in an emergency?

Whether it is 'required' or not how could you justify not having one?

Your building codes probably specify a 7' ceiling height but you have 8' (right!).
DonnaS
(Tennessee)

07/24/2009 5:17 PM  

Barbara,

In what context was the P.M saying that you do not need to have a phone? Probably something to do with cost cutting? IMHO--not worth it not to have one. I know that my side of the State, Bell South lets you have a phone for about 12.00 bucks, just for 911 service. The alternate not to have one could be catastrophic..
BillG6
(Florida)

07/25/2009 2:23 AM  
Barbara - I would check with local Code regarding this. To Donna's point, the cost is cheap and well worth having. Looking for cost savings??? start with PM salary & benefits
CarolF
(Florida)

07/25/2009 4:11 AM  
I'm in FL and the HOA insurance carrier required it.
AnnaD2
(Florida)

07/25/2009 4:48 AM  
I'm in Pinellas County. Our insurance carrier does not require it. Nor do our county codes require it. We have a yearly inspection by the county health inspector and they have never even suggested we have one installed.

MaryA1

07/25/2009 6:52 AM  
Considering how many people have cell phones, if there are 20 people at the pool and an emergency occured I wouldn't be afraid to bet at least 19 people would have a cell phone to call 911 on!
BarbaraD6
(Florida)

07/25/2009 8:07 AM  
It was suggested to save money.I appreciate all the various points of view.
Barbara
EllenS1
(Florida)

07/25/2009 2:20 PM  
MaryA,

Suppose there are three people at the pool and no one has a cell phone to use in case of an emergency? I would check out the cost and divide it by the number of members. There are other ways to save costs. For instance, our PM charges 25 cents a copy for sending out mailings, etc. We all know of stores where you can get a copy for 10 cents or even five cents so they are ripping off the same folks that hired them. Question, if your child were saved by having a phone at the pool would you still think the cost was too high?
MaryA1

07/25/2009 4:49 PM  
Posted By EllenS1 on 07/25/2009 2:20 PM
MaryA,

Suppose there are three people at the pool and no one has a cell phone to use in case of an emergency? I would check out the cost and divide it by the number of members. There are other ways to save costs. For instance, our PM charges 25 cents a copy for sending out mailings, etc. We all know of stores where you can get a copy for 10 cents or even five cents so they are ripping off the same folks that hired them. Question, if your child were saved by having a phone at the pool would you still think the cost was too high?

Ellen,

I made no remarks about the cost; however, since Barbara's assn already has a phone at the pool I'm sure they know what the cost is.

The remark I made was only in ref to the nr of people who have cell phones. I don't have one myself, but it seems as though everyone else does, including my grandchildren! Frankly I would be very surprised that none of the 3 people you mention would have one.
AnnaD2
(Florida)

07/26/2009 4:52 AM  
Mary, I thought I was the only person left, in the world, without a cell phone! Nice to know I'm not alone.
JohnB7
(South Carolina)

07/26/2009 7:32 AM  
In South Carolina a pool phone is REQUIRED. No or inoperative phone -> closed pool.

Why do people want the MINIMUM required by code and not a proper/safe/good practise(s) operation?

If you can't afford the $10-12/month for a piece of (industry recognized) safety equipment - SHUT THE @#$%^&*() POOL.
JohnB7
(South Carolina)

07/26/2009 8:38 AM  
Antiquity
Building codes have a long history. What is generally accepted as the first building code was in the Code of Hammurabi which specified:

229. If a builder builds a house for someone, and does not construct it properly, and the house which he built falls in and kills its owner, then that builder shall be put to death.
230. If it kills the son of the owner, the son of that builder shall be put to death.
231. If it kills a slave of the owner, then he shall pay, slave for slave, to the owner of the house.
232. If it ruins goods, he shall make compensation for all that has been ruined, and inasmuch as he did not construct properly this house which he built and it fell, he shall re-erect the house from his own means.
233. If a builder builds a house for someone, even though he has not yet completed it; if then the walls seem toppling, the builder must make the walls solid from his own means.

(sic) if 911 can not be reached ..................................................
MaryA1

07/26/2009 5:47 PM  
John,

Did you help Hammarabi write the code! LOL
EllenS1
(Florida)

07/26/2009 6:48 PM  
Looks like with just these few posts Mary, Anna and myself do not have cell phones.
SteveM9
(Massachusetts)

07/26/2009 7:27 PM  
Every cell phone can call 911 even without activation. Just buy a tmobile2go cellphone at walmart for $19 and mount it behind some glass with a hammer that says break glass for phone in case of emergency. Mount the charger in there too.

Done.
AnnaD2
(Florida)

07/27/2009 3:29 AM  
We're not allowed to have any glass in our pool area. I'm not being a smart aleck. I do like your idea to have one of those phones available...somehow.
BrianB
(California)

07/27/2009 9:23 AM  
well, if we are going to dive into this and say that having a phone is the safe thing to do, how about this: forget the phone, and have everyone learn proper first aid and CPR in order to use the pool.

knowing WHAT to do in a swimming pool emergency will save more lives than having a phone to call someone else who knows what to do, but is ten minutes away.

I get angry every time i hear those replays of some mother/father calling 911 and saying their child is in the pool, and they have no idea how to perform CPR. Whatever happened to being responsible? Stop thinking that everyone else in the world is responsible for YOUR safety and health, and do something to make yourself more responsible.

(can you tell this is one of my peeves?)
DonnaS
(Tennessee)

07/27/2009 9:26 AM  

YUP!! WE SURE CAN (and why not be peeved at stupidity)
GlenL
(Ohio)

07/27/2009 10:50 AM  
Personal responsibility went out in the 90's I think along with common sense. One of the roughest calls I ever had as a medic was on was of a toddler who pushed through the broken gate surrounding the families pool and fell into the two feet of brackish water standing in the pool. His super absorbent diaper sucked him right to the bottom and held him there until he was found. We managed to revive him but he later succumbed to complications.

Studies show that 5 out of 4 people have problems with fractions
DonnaS
(Tennessee)

07/27/2009 11:36 AM  

Glen,

Back when I lived in S. Florida, 3 little kids drowned in a neighbors pool. It had a 6 foot wood stockade fence around the yard. But!! here comes the stupid. The bottom rails were loose and the fence pushed in. Kids in--kids drown.
TracieS
(Colorado)

07/27/2009 11:53 AM  
I was walking past one of our City Park pools, which is CLOSED for maintenance... Bunch of people inside...no lifeguard. They had actually CUT through the chain link fence to swim...

If someone had drowned, I'm pretty sure they would have sued the city... IDIOTS!
GlenL
(Ohio)

07/27/2009 11:54 AM  
That’s kind of what happened here. The gate was locked but the bottom hinge was broken allowing the child to push under it. The part that still makes me angry was the family knew of the problem, it was on the father's to do list.

Studies show that 5 out of 4 people have problems with fractions
EllenS1
(Florida)

07/27/2009 3:18 PM  
Anna,

If there is a restroom adjoining your pool perhaps it could be placed in there.
EllenS1
(Florida)

07/27/2009 3:21 PM  
Brian,

Good idea....having CPR training. This would also be good for over 55 communities too in case of a heart attack. I'm sure it could be set up to have a meeting where the owners couold learn at the same time. Then beat the bushes to get as many owners as possible to attend.
EllenS1
(Florida)

07/27/2009 3:29 PM  
Donna,

Here in Florida teaching kids to swim at an early age should be a necessity. My 18 month old great grandaugher almost caused me to faint when she hung on to her dad's back and he dove to the bottom. She came up screaming "more" "more" and it wasn't long before she could swim. Another funny incident. When I lived in a condo and had my 2 year old granson in the pool while I sat close by and watched I got some dirty looks from some senior women. I'm sure they thought I was doing a poor job by not being with him. Their looks changed to smiles when he jumped in and swam the length of the pool.

I advocate getting rid of those "swimmies" you see on little ones. Better to teach them how to float and progress to swimming.
EllenS1
(Florida)

07/27/2009 3:32 PM  
Glen,

How sad and that is something the father will have to live with.
DonnaS
(Tennessee)

07/27/2009 3:44 PM  

Ellen,

This happened in Pt. St Lucie,

The 3 kids belonged to a family that were "renting"(squatting) in 1 of those famous marajuana growing spec houses. I thought that they would have been able to swim. I won't elaborate. But they did know how to slide under the wooden fence. I know this is not to be funny but rather a sign of the times.
EllenS1
(Florida)

07/27/2009 4:13 PM  
Donna,

It just shows some people were never meant to be parents. We have heard some very horrible things here in Florida where the Dept of Children and Families have let many little ones slip through the cracks resulting in a lot of harm and even deaths. Falsifying reports saying they had visited famlies that were reported when they never did, etc. I could go on but this has nothing to do with the initial question. Phones at pools. If HOAS can't pay the cost they should not have pools. Maybe some day there will be legislation requiring this.
BarbaraD6
(Florida)

07/28/2009 6:13 AM  
Hello All,
My original question was to find out if their was a law that you had to have a pool phone. Many of you have brought up valid points,which I will discuss with my fellow Board members.
Barbara
JohnB7
(South Carolina)

07/28/2009 8:45 AM  
Posted By MaryA1 on 07/26/2009 5:47 PM
John,

Did you help Hammarabi write the code! LOL

No, but I helped with enforcement
JohnB7
(South Carolina)

07/28/2009 8:52 AM  
Posted By BarbaraD6 on 07/28/2009 6:13 AM
Hello All,
My original question was to find out if their was a law that you had to have a pool phone. Many of you have brought up valid points,which I will discuss with my fellow Board members.
Barbara

SC - required by DHEC

FL - not required by DHEC

Universally required by common sense. While someone trained in CPR 'may' be available I doubt if you have an AED on hand. (automatic electronic defibulator) CPR is used UNTIL THE AED is on scene - EMTs/911

AED - $2000+-, then semi annual maintenance?
phone - $10-12 / month

! DOH !
EllenS1
(Florida)

07/28/2009 6:28 PM  
Barbara,

Sorry to have gotten off point but why does it matter if it is the law? Common sense should prevail. A phone may save lives. Some board members get so entangled in legal issues that they can't see the forest for the trees. A lot just love to have discussions and make a point rather than doing the right thing.
BarbaraD6
(Florida)

08/01/2009 12:15 PM  
Ellen,
Our Assocation is in a financial crisis. This Board is looking into each and every expense.The Board needed to know the law on this issue. We will probably look into a cheaper phone that only calls 911. Our pool is surrounded by 3 buildings and if anyone yelled for help it would be easily heard.
thanks for all the opinions
Barbara
JohnB7
(South Carolina)

08/01/2009 5:28 PM  
Posted By BarbaraD6 on 08/01/2009 12:15 PM
Ellen,
Our Assocation is in a financial crisis. This Board is looking into each and every expense.The Board needed to know the law on this issue. We will probably look into a cheaper phone that only calls 911. Our pool is surrounded by 3 buildings and if anyone yelled for help it would be easily heard.
thanks for all the opinions
Barbara

If your pool is surrounded by three buildings and you can't afford $10-12/month for an emergency phone .... you REALLY need to close the pool and save some REAL $$$$$$$$$$$.
EllenS1
(Florida)

08/02/2009 7:27 AM  
John,

Right on!
BarbaraD6
(Florida)

08/03/2009 8:03 AM  
Too many times on these threads assumptions are made.
At no time did I say it cost $10-$12.
Barbara
JohnB7
(South Carolina)

08/03/2009 8:08 AM  
Posted By BarbaraD6 on 08/03/2009 8:03 AM
Too many times on these threads assumptions are made.
At no time did I say it cost $10-$12.
Barbara

No assumption ... that's what incoming only (911 is ALWAYS active) service costs
JohnK3
(Pennsylvania)

08/03/2009 9:12 AM  
Wouldn't 911 only be outgoing service? Distinctive ring would be an incoming only service, for instance.
JohnB7
(South Carolina)

08/03/2009 10:43 AM  
Posted By JohnK3 on 08/03/2009 9:12 AM
Wouldn't 911 only be outgoing service? Distinctive ring would be an incoming only service, for instance.

ALL cell phones including un or de activated will reach 911.

ALL phone lines will allow dialing 911.

A 'hardwired' phone service with no outgoing calls permitted WILL ALLOW 911.
EllenS1
(Florida)

08/03/2009 1:14 PM  
Barbara.

If you want to save money, close the pool..What is your present cost for pool maintenance? A "financial crisis" should dictate this.
Please login to post a reply (click Member Login on the menu).
Forums > Homeowner Association > HOA Discussions > pool phone required in Florida

Only members have access to all features.
Click here to join HOATalk for Free! Members click here to login and access all features.

General Legal Notice:  The content of forum messages are from the posting member and have not been reviewed nor endorsed by HOATalk.com.  Messages posted by HOATalk or other members are for informational purposes only, are not legal or professional advice and do not constitute an attorney-client relationship.  Readers should not act upon this information without seeking professional counsel.  HOATalk is not a licensed attorney, CPA, tax advisor, financial advisor or any other licensed professional.  HOATalk accepts ads from sponsors but does not verify sponsor qualifications nor endorse/guarantee any sponsor's product or service.
Legal Notice For Messages Posted by Sponsoring Attorneys: This message has been prepared by the sponsoring attorney for informational purposes only and does not constitute legal advice. This information is not intended to create, and receipt of it does not constitute an attorney-client relationship. Readers of HOATalk.com should not act on this information without seeking professional counsel. Please do not send any sponsoring attorney confidential information unless you speak with the sponsoring attorney or an attorney from the sponsoring attorney’s firm and get authorization to send that information to them. If you wish to initiate possible representation, please contact an attorney in the firm of the sponsoring attorney. Sponsoring attorneys that post messages here are licensed to practice law in a specific state or states as indicated in their message signature or sponsor’s profile page. (NOTE: A ‘sponsoring attorney’ is an attorney that is a HOATalk.com official sponsor and is identified as such in the posted message or on our sponsor page.)

Copyright HOA Talk.com, A Service of Community123 LLC ( Homeowners Association Discussions )   Terms Of Use  Privacy Statement