Get 1 year of free community web site hosting from Community123.com!
Monday, October 18, 2021

HOATalk is a free service of Community123.com:

Easy to use website tools to help your board
Only members have access to all features.
Click here to join HOATalk for Free! Members click here to login and access all features.
Subject: HOA Mission Statement and Goals
Prev Next
Please login to post a reply (click Member Login on the menu).
Author Messages
HarryM1
(Arizona)

04/15/2009 4:11 AM  
I am looking for assistance as my HOA is trying to come up with some annual goals and a good, general mission statement for our HOA. If you have any in plce please share them with us.We are in Gilbert, Arizona. Thanks, Harry
SusanW1
(Michigan)

04/15/2009 4:57 AM  
Well, that's the point: a Mission Statement should show your uniqueness - how you are different from all other HOAs - and how the entire organization will carry out its oblligations. It should be no more than 3 sentences.

Then your goals flesh out the mission statement by being more specific.

I'd also suggest that one of the statements begin with "Supported by the Members, blah blah.

This is all just my opinion, however.
GeorgerwilliamsW
(Indiana)

04/15/2009 5:38 AM  
Posted By HarryM1 on 04/15/2009 4:11 AM
I am looking for assistance as my HOA is trying to come up with some annual goals and a good, general mission statement for our HOA. If you have any in plce please share them with us.We are in Gilbert, Arizona. Thanks, Harry
Rather than just a mission statement, the homeowners association needs to have (1) a vision statement, (2) a mission statement, and (3) a values statement: mission/vision/values.

The vision statement expresses a notion of what the association seeks to accomplish. The mission statement simply says what you do. The values statement expresses how you do what you do.

For instance, let's use the Army.

The vision of the Army is a peaceful world--one in which it--and war--would be unnecessary. The mission of the Army is to break things and kill people--simple as that. The values of the Army include doing as little collateral damage as possible and minimize casualties.

Another example: the vision of a dentist is a world in which all teeth are perfect. The mission of a dentist is to repair damaged/diseased teeth. The values of a dentist is to cause as little pain as possible.

Here is a sample

Sample Homeowners Association, Inc.
    Vision

We envision a community of neighbors working together in private, voluntary association to achieve a higher quality of life and increasing property values. We envision a neighborhood that is considered by residents and non-residents alike to be a desirable place in which to live and enjoy the benefits of family, friends and community.

Mission
    Our mission is to enhance the quality of life in our neighborhood through management of common areas, enforcement of rules and covenants, support of initiatives that strengthen bonds among residents, and investment in capital improvements that benefit the greater good.

Values
    In fulfilling our mission and achieving our vision we value honesty, fairness, firmness, equity, common sense, participation, respect, cooperation, and neighborliness in all our actions.

Adopted unanimously by a resolution of the Board of Directors on
November 26, 1996
JenniferO2
(Florida)

02/15/2011 1:07 PM  
The sample HOA Vision, Mission, and Values is excellent and well written. Do you know if its copyright protected? or may I reuse this sample? Thank you very much, Jen
SteveM9
(Massachusetts)

02/15/2011 5:57 PM  
LOL. Mission statements are for people who believe in santa claus.
LynetteB
(Texas)

02/15/2011 9:04 PM  
I personally don't like the mission statements, but goals are great. One of our previous board members was CEO of a hospital and he convinced us to write and adopt a strategic plan. Our strategic plan then drives our budget. This keeps everyone from trying to spend money on a whim. You can google "strategic plans" and find lots of info, but for us we have a short, mid and long term goals that determines where we allocate our reserves and budget for the year.
JonD1

02/15/2011 9:45 PM  
Posted By SteveM9 on 02/15/2011 5:57 PM
LOL. Mission statements are for people who believe in santa claus.

Guess Santa hasn't stopped by your place for some time..................
SusanW1
(Michigan)

02/16/2011 4:52 AM  
Articles of Corp. state a purpose statement, composed by the orginal founders of your HOA. Be sure any new mission statements follow that statement.

I also prefer strategic planning sessions.
SteveM9
(Massachusetts)

02/16/2011 5:32 AM  
My point is, everyone has a mission statement, no one follows them. Its just marketing bs. If you believe in that stuff, and it gives you warm fuzzies, then keep believing. Hehe.
LawrenceC1
(Georgia)

02/18/2011 10:47 AM  
Some potential buyers faced with multi-page Covenants, Conditions and Restrictions are befuddled and confused. It helps if they can be handed a one-page explanation of what they are getting into.

A Vision, Mission, and Values statement similar to the one posted by George is an excellent way to introduce someone to the neighborhood. First impressions count. The best way to have a long-term constructive member of the HOA is to start out with positive feelings.
Please login to post a reply (click Member Login on the menu).
Forums > Homeowner Association > HOA Discussions > HOA Mission Statement and Goals

Only members have access to all features.
Click here to join HOATalk for Free! Members click here to login and access all features.

General Legal Notice:  The content of forum messages are from the posting member and have not been reviewed nor endorsed by HOATalk.com.  Messages posted by HOATalk or other members are for informational purposes only, are not legal or professional advice and do not constitute an attorney-client relationship.  Readers should not act upon this information without seeking professional counsel.  HOATalk is not a licensed attorney, CPA, tax advisor, financial advisor or any other licensed professional.  HOATalk accepts ads from sponsors but does not verify sponsor qualifications nor endorse/guarantee any sponsor's product or service.
Legal Notice For Messages Posted by Sponsoring Attorneys: This message has been prepared by the sponsoring attorney for informational purposes only and does not constitute legal advice. This information is not intended to create, and receipt of it does not constitute an attorney-client relationship. Readers of HOATalk.com should not act on this information without seeking professional counsel. Please do not send any sponsoring attorney confidential information unless you speak with the sponsoring attorney or an attorney from the sponsoring attorney’s firm and get authorization to send that information to them. If you wish to initiate possible representation, please contact an attorney in the firm of the sponsoring attorney. Sponsoring attorneys that post messages here are licensed to practice law in a specific state or states as indicated in their message signature or sponsor’s profile page. (NOTE: A ‘sponsoring attorney’ is an attorney that is a HOATalk.com official sponsor and is identified as such in the posted message or on our sponsor page.)

Copyright HOA Talk.com, A Service of Community123 LLC ( Homeowners Association Discussions )   Terms Of Use  Privacy Statement