Get 1 year of free community web site hosting from Community123.com!
Sunday, February 16, 2020
Get 1 free year community web site hosting from Community123.com!
Only members have access to all features.
Click here to join HOATalk for Free! Members click here to login and access all features.
Subject:  Our Disposable Society.
Prev Next
Please login to post a reply (click Member Login on the menu).
Author Messages
DonnaS
(Tennessee)

11/22/2008 12:39 PM  

So, today the Master Gardeners of Hamilton County took a 2nd opportunity to do something positive for both our community and the environment.

The concept probably has some merits in regards to HOAs because I have seen waste beyond my comprehension in my own places. Pool seatings being replaced rather than restrung or recovered, furniture from clubhouses being "updated" when all they needed was a cleaning and so many others. I am sure that you all have seen this too. And we all know how much extra money we have in our slush funds.

Anyhow, a car dealership got foreclosed on and has been bought by another type of business, requireing the landscape to be torn out. Our Oh So Wise coordinator from U. of Tn, asked if we, the master gardeners , could take it out and reuse it. The answer was "YES". So a team of 30 or so of us, shovels in hand, spent the morning digging very, very big holes and removing some expensive trees and shrubs that would become landfill in a few weeks.

The recipient of our dug up treasure is the 3 new homes that Habitat For Humanity are about to complete. HOW COOL IS THAT? So what I am trying to convey is that we ALL have to start to use our assets more wisely. HOAs hire landscape companies and we replace and care poorly for what we have had to pay assessments and dues for. I am sure that you all can add to my above list os blatant waste. P.S. I am not a tree hugger but just a Master Gardener
SusannaM
(Florida)

11/22/2008 1:53 PM  
Very cool indeed. Congrats...job well done.
SusanW1
(Michigan)

11/22/2008 2:50 PM  
Great idea - recycled landscapes!

Hope everything "takes" in its new spot!
AnnaD2
(Florida)

11/22/2008 3:08 PM  
Kudos Donna! If only more people had the foresight to "recycle" as you just did. One man's trash......

Thank you for sharing that story with us. It's so uplifting to hear of people pitching in and DOING something.

Just a question....(with HOA's and Condo's in mind)....did you get any flack from people trying to knock down your efforts by asking: "But what if a "volunteer" gets hurt?" We hear it all the time. People trying to throw a monkey wrench into a project that helpful volunteers want to see completed. It's a valid question---but usually posed by someone too lazy or out of shape to help; and they don't want anyone else to get credit for doing a good job.

But as I said....uplifting story! Keep up the good work!!!
MaryA1

11/22/2008 3:59 PM  
Great idea! Habitat for Humanity is a wonderful charity. I've always been a firm believer in using what's on hand; nothing like recycling landscaping! Good job, Donna.
RobertR1
(South Carolina)

11/22/2008 4:15 PM  
I echo the kudos to Donna. Funny world we live in. Man grows up to be President of the United States, serves four years and history may laud him for establishing Habit for Humanity above his Presidency. And well we should. What a legacy, just shows you what's important.
DonnaS
(Tennessee)

11/23/2008 5:42 AM  

Anna, You are so right on your observations and statement.
I guess that volunteer projects should also keep in mind the ages of the volunteers. I would hate to see too many seniors with shovels, digging out vegetation and then there would be a big rush on BENGAY. The service should also be done appropriate to what the volunteers can do safely. The liability thing is just so overbearing and we tend to use that as a fear to not do services that we are most capable of.
Seventy year olds can certainly clean stuff, minus getting on a ladder of course. We need to get back to us as a team instead of pay someone to do simple tasks for our associations. A few will step up and some will not. That's the way it goes.
RobertR1
(South Carolina)

11/23/2008 6:09 AM  
Donna,
I agree completely.

Twenty years ago when I moved here, I saw the need to do some gardening. Our BOD was absentee and this observation I made just did not receive any attention. So I had moved some of my gardening things and I went down and started to work. The manager arrived in short order and told me I was not allowed to take care opf anything it the garden. I asked why, and she said, "Well what if every owner came down here and decided to work in the garden, then we would have a real mess." It struck me as ludicrous so I laughed and said "right", and went back to work. Over the year I did more and more and folks would stop me and comment about what I was doing, all positive. Not long after that a Board member asked if I would like to work for regime. I said I would work for the regime but I did not want any money, so I did that for years. Then the Board decided I needed a new saw or drill or what have you and they would buy it for me. Then I decided the best way was to accept a small salary, this went on over fifteen years until I got mad at board and quit. I stayed "quit" for a couple of years and as normal the board changes, new people move in, and I am now back helping some folks who had the same idea I had twenty years ago. Self help is a mighty weapon, and we are making some nice changes around here with the blessing of the Board. Is all this worth it, in view of insurance and libel threats. Just an opinion: I think it is, if caution and reason prevail.
DJ1
(Ontario)

11/23/2008 11:48 AM  
Posted By SusanW1 on 11/22/2008 2:50 PM
Great idea - recycled landscapes!

Hope everything "takes" in its new spot!

Seems only fair that we recyle the landscape! Afterall, the landscaping eventually recycle US when we die!!!!!
DonnaS
(Tennessee)

11/23/2008 12:54 PM  

Good one DJ, good one
Please login to post a reply (click Member Login on the menu).
Forums > Homeowner Association > HOA Discussions > Our Disposable Society.

Get 2 months of free community web site hosting from Community123.com!

News Articles Provided by: Community Associations Network
News, articles and blogs about condos/HOA's

Only members have access to all features.
Click here to join HOATalk for Free! Members click here to login and access all features.

General Legal Notice:  The content of forum messages are from the posting member and have not been reviewed nor endorsed by HOATalk.com.  Messages posted by HOATalk or other members are for informational purposes only, are not legal or professional advice and do not constitute an attorney-client relationship.  Readers should not act upon this information without seeking professional counsel.  HOATalk is not a licensed attorney, CPA, tax advisor, financial advisor or any other licensed professional.  HOATalk accepts ads from sponsors but does not verify sponsor qualifications nor endorse/guarantee any sponsor's product or service.
HindmanSanchez Legal Notice:  (For messages posted by HindmanSanchez) This message has been prepared by HindmanSanchez for informational purposes only and does not constitute legal advice. This information is not intended to create, and receipt of it does not constitute an attorney-client relationship. Members of HOATalk.com should not act on this information without seeking professional counsel. Please do not send us confidential information unless you speak with one of our attorneys and get authorization to send that information to us. If you wish to initiate possible representation, please contact an attorney in our firm. Our attorneys are licensed to practice law in the state of Colorado only.

Legal Notice For Messages Posted by Sponsoring Attorneys: This message has been prepared by the sponsoring attorney for informational purposes only and does not constitute legal advice. This information is not intended to create, and receipt of it does not constitute an attorney-client relationship. Readers of HOATalk.com should not act on this information without seeking professional counsel. Please do not send any sponsoring attorney confidential information unless you speak with the sponsoring attorney or an attorney from the sponsoring attorney’s firm and get authorization to send that information to them. If you wish to initiate possible representation, please contact an attorney in the firm of the sponsoring attorney. Sponsoring attorneys that post messages here are licensed to practice law in a specific state or states as indicated in their message signature or sponsor’s profile page. (NOTE: A ‘sponsoring attorney’ is an attorney that is a HOATalk.com official sponsor and is identified as such in the posted message or on our sponsor page.)

Copyright HOA Talk.com, A Service of Community123 LLC ( Homeowners Association Discussions )   Terms Of Use  Privacy Statement