Get 1 year of free community web site hosting from Community123.com!
Wednesday, July 15, 2020

HOATalk is a free service of Community123.com:

Easy to use website tools to help your board
Only members have access to all features.
Click here to join HOATalk for Free! Members click here to login and access all features.
Subject: Help!
Prev Next
Please login to post a reply (click Member Login on the menu).
Author Messages
CharlesW1
(Georgia)

07/21/2006 3:17 PM  
I have lived in my first home, built from the ground up for 3 years now with my wonderful wife Shannon. We were ready to take on the responsibilities of being a home owner. (Mowing lawn, edging, weed whacking) The over all responsibilities of making our first house look like a home.
. My wife and I love our home. My problem is unfortunately we had built one of the most expensive homes in the division. It has a full basement which we had to pay additional money for and the lot had to be able to accommodate such. We also wanted our home to be in a cul-de-sac which also costs additional money. We based our decision on many of these factors and it seems that everything we were trying to avoid is happening.
We looked for well over a year before making what we felt was the right buying choice. Everything from the over all look of the home to where schools were located or how close the highways accessibility was and where they are located. We looked at everything to try and suppress any awful feelings we had about purchasing a new home.
I’m hoping someone else has experienced these difficulties and can help make me and my wife continue to live with the pride we once had. We love our home but we don’t love our neighbors! Our HOA has by-laws but they don’t follow through on any of the violations committed by a home owner. I’m not sure what else to do at this point!
We have had the dream of buying a new home and starting a family here and growing old with one another. This is not about to happen unless we can get more information as to how we can provide our family with a safe environment for them to grow up in. Unfortunately this is not it!! It’s very depressing for sure.
If someone has experience this sort of thing and can shine some light my way, it would be greatly appreciated.

Chuck W.

Charles E. Wafer Jr.
WilliamT
(Arizona)

07/21/2006 3:29 PM  
Chuck,

There is a ton of information on this site for you to digest. Do a search for various subjects, and look at the topic titles.

As a start, read your bylaws, CC&R's and Rules, and understand them. Attend board meetings and have well thought out questions prepared to ask. If you get an answer that conflicts with those governing documents, bring that to their attention.

Also search for the laws of your state regarding "Planned Communities". I believe you are not in a Condominium.

The board has a duty to enforce all of the Declarations and Rules evenly. The board meetings must be published and are open to all community members. Do not take no for an answer. You are also entitled to see all of the association documents.

Get a good feel for the board as you ask questions be prepared to volunteer to serve on a committee that you feel will benefit your "entire community". By volunteering, your concerns should have more credibility with the board.

Find out when the annual election is held. Get on the ballot to become a board member. Then go to every home in the community. Present them with your BIO, and a written statement of what you will do if elected to the board.

Those are very simple but workable campaign tactics. If you personally ask everyone to send in the vote for you, then you will be elected.

If you meet others who share your views and concerns for the community, ask them to run also.

Once you are on the board it will take one or two years to get things gradually changed. It's difficult to move a charging train. It takes time, and you will need to get some thick skin. Board who are not performing properly do now welcome change.

Do not criticize the board, or any person on the board. Always speak positive about what your new idea will do for the comminity.

Bill
RogerB
(Colorado)

07/21/2006 3:37 PM  
Charles, that happened with my first home. What I did was educate myself on HOA matters and then got on the Board of the HOA. Ended up as President and turned the community of 1800 around. It turned into a wonderful community which I hated to leave when transferred. When I go to Houston I always go back to the old neighborhood and visit with good friends who still live there. This brings back many fond memories.
CharlesW1
(Georgia)

07/21/2006 6:12 PM  
Bill- Our elections are being held tomorrow morning. I am running for position on the board. I plan on making a difference. I appreciate your positive advice. All the advice I have receive thus far has been very insightful.

Thank you once again
Chuck W.

Charles E. Wafer Jr.
CharlesW1
(Georgia)

07/21/2006 6:19 PM  
Roger- You should be very proud. I would be. I’m going to “run” for position on the board. The elections are tomorrow morning. I hope all goes well. I want to make our community a better place for all of us to live.

I appreciate the quick response, thank you
Chuck W.

Charles E. Wafer Jr.
WilliamT
(Arizona)

07/21/2006 6:30 PM  
Chuck,

Good luck in the election. Keep us informed.

Bill
Please login to post a reply (click Member Login on the menu).

Only members have access to all features.
Click here to join HOATalk for Free! Members click here to login and access all features.

General Legal Notice:  The content of forum messages are from the posting member and have not been reviewed nor endorsed by HOATalk.com.  Messages posted by HOATalk or other members are for informational purposes only, are not legal or professional advice and do not constitute an attorney-client relationship.  Readers should not act upon this information without seeking professional counsel.  HOATalk is not a licensed attorney, CPA, tax advisor, financial advisor or any other licensed professional.  HOATalk accepts ads from sponsors but does not verify sponsor qualifications nor endorse/guarantee any sponsor's product or service.
Legal Notice For Messages Posted by Sponsoring Attorneys: This message has been prepared by the sponsoring attorney for informational purposes only and does not constitute legal advice. This information is not intended to create, and receipt of it does not constitute an attorney-client relationship. Readers of HOATalk.com should not act on this information without seeking professional counsel. Please do not send any sponsoring attorney confidential information unless you speak with the sponsoring attorney or an attorney from the sponsoring attorney’s firm and get authorization to send that information to them. If you wish to initiate possible representation, please contact an attorney in the firm of the sponsoring attorney. Sponsoring attorneys that post messages here are licensed to practice law in a specific state or states as indicated in their message signature or sponsor’s profile page. (NOTE: A ‘sponsoring attorney’ is an attorney that is a HOATalk.com official sponsor and is identified as such in the posted message or on our sponsor page.)

Copyright HOA Talk.com, A Service of Community123 LLC ( Homeowners Association Discussions )   Terms Of Use  Privacy Statement