Get 1 year of free community web site hosting from Community123.com!
Saturday, September 19, 2020

HOATalk is a free service of Community123.com:

Easy to use website tools to help your board
Only members have access to all features.
Click here to join HOATalk for Free! Members click here to login and access all features.
Subject:  Broke homeowners association halts trash service
Prev Next
Please login to post a reply (click Member Login on the menu).
Author Messages
GeorgerwilliamsW
(Indiana)

08/14/2008 2:25 PM  

Could it get any worse?

Hey, Texas folks. What is going on here???

Broke homeowners association halts trash service
Wed, 08/13/2008 - 10:50pm.

http://abclocal.go.com/ktrk/story?section=news/local&id=6323453

HOUSTON (KTRK) -- Piles of trash are starting to stink outside homes in a neighborhood in north Harris County. The homeowners association is in debt and can't afford to pick up the trash.

Homeowners say they've paid their dues and don't understand why the association still owes thousands of dollars. We're talking about the Aldine Village neighborhood, near the Hardy Toll Road.

"Principal Management Group wouldn't go on camera, but said the association has been without a board for five years. Now the 300 or so homes are predominately rentals and getting the landlords to pay has been impossible."

"Lawsuits, bankruptcy, reporting it to the county, reporting it to the district attorney's office& There are a bunch of options but the bottom line they need a court to step in and enjoin everyone out there from, basically, misbehaving."

KirkW1
(Texas)

08/14/2008 4:05 PM  
Same thing happens in other (much smaller) states. Don't blame me for their problems as they live more then four hours away.

Seriously I have major qualms about letting HOAs deal with the basic services typically provided by a municipality. There just isn't enough oversight for the organizations.
MaryA1

08/14/2008 8:49 PM  
"Lawsuits, bankruptcy, reporting it to the county, reporting it to the district attorney's office& There are a bunch of options but the bottom line they need a court to step in and enjoin everyone out there from, basically, misbehaving."

The article stated there hasn't been a board for 5 years; a property mgmt co is running the place. It would appear to me a court has already stepped in and authorized the mgmt co to act on behalf of the assn; they cannot just act on their own. But if they are (strange things happen all the time!), perhaps that's why there is no $$$$!!!
KirkW1
(Texas)

08/15/2008 12:29 PM  
Guess I won't complain about owner apathy in my neighborhood.
DonnaS
(Tennessee)

08/15/2008 12:51 PM  

Here lies the problem---" but said the association has been without a board for five years. Now the 300 or so homes are predominately rentals and getting the landlords to pay has been impossible."

So whos to blame here? Every owner, that's who. We have a HOA with about 300 owners and no one will step up to the plate. I kinda don't feel that sorry for them. Pretty soon, the waste management district or County will take over the service and bill the H.Os on their tax bills probably at a higher cost.
KirkW1
(Texas)

08/15/2008 1:29 PM  
I feel bad for the renters. They have no power in the situation. If the district takes over trash collection, then it will probably bill to the renters. Most places here in Texas trash and sewer are put on the water bill.
HaroldS
(Arizona)

08/15/2008 7:54 PM  
Just another example of a city shoving off normal, standard city services to an HOA. It doesn't sound like this is a gated community, so why is/was this HOA responsible for waste management? Probably a requiremnet of the city before they would grant permission to build the subdivision.
If a management company is running the show, you can be sure they are getting paid first.
SteveM9
(Massachusetts)

09/17/2013 6:34 AM  
As trash piles up inside their garages, many Aldine Village residents resort to loading up bags and hauling off them somewhere else.

I've lived in towns with no trash service. Its no big deal. We drove to the town dump and dropped the trash off ourselves. It's very easy. If you choose to collect weeks of trash in your garage, that's your choice.

Looking at google maps, this association appears to be a trailer park. So it doesn't surprise me no one is paying.
SteveM9
(Massachusetts)

09/17/2013 6:36 AM  
Trash pickup is a luxury like cable tv. It's not a necessity. I can easily see why it was cut. People can bring the trash to the city/town themselves.
FredS7
(Arizona)

09/17/2013 6:43 AM  
> Just another example of a city shoving off normal, standard city services to an HOA.

Garbage pickup by the city is not "standard." I would go as far as "common."
PatriciaH4
(Texas)

09/17/2013 7:18 AM  
Most subdivisions near me (including both the one I work at and the one I live in) don't handle trash service - the MUD district is who selects and pays for it (it's included in the water bill).

KellyM3
(North Carolina)

09/17/2013 8:16 AM  
This calamity is completely self-inflicted. No need for a whiny newspaper article.
BruceF1
(Connecticut)

09/17/2013 3:41 PM  
Why was this 5-year-old thread resurrected?
FredS7
(Arizona)

09/17/2013 3:52 PM  
Oooo it's a zombie thread we've been necroposted
GlenL
(Ohio)

09/17/2013 5:39 PM  
I know the city I used to live in, started charging for trash pickup, what had been a "free" city service fell to the wayside due to dwindling tax revenue and increases elsewhere.

Studies show that 5 out of 4 people have problems with fractions
TimB4
(Virginia)

09/17/2013 6:00 PM  

As Bruce pointed out, this thread is 5 years old.
Please login to post a reply (click Member Login on the menu).
Forums > Homeowner Association > HOA Discussions > Broke homeowners association halts trash service

Only members have access to all features.
Click here to join HOATalk for Free! Members click here to login and access all features.

General Legal Notice:  The content of forum messages are from the posting member and have not been reviewed nor endorsed by HOATalk.com.  Messages posted by HOATalk or other members are for informational purposes only, are not legal or professional advice and do not constitute an attorney-client relationship.  Readers should not act upon this information without seeking professional counsel.  HOATalk is not a licensed attorney, CPA, tax advisor, financial advisor or any other licensed professional.  HOATalk accepts ads from sponsors but does not verify sponsor qualifications nor endorse/guarantee any sponsor's product or service.
Legal Notice For Messages Posted by Sponsoring Attorneys: This message has been prepared by the sponsoring attorney for informational purposes only and does not constitute legal advice. This information is not intended to create, and receipt of it does not constitute an attorney-client relationship. Readers of HOATalk.com should not act on this information without seeking professional counsel. Please do not send any sponsoring attorney confidential information unless you speak with the sponsoring attorney or an attorney from the sponsoring attorney’s firm and get authorization to send that information to them. If you wish to initiate possible representation, please contact an attorney in the firm of the sponsoring attorney. Sponsoring attorneys that post messages here are licensed to practice law in a specific state or states as indicated in their message signature or sponsor’s profile page. (NOTE: A ‘sponsoring attorney’ is an attorney that is a HOATalk.com official sponsor and is identified as such in the posted message or on our sponsor page.)

Copyright HOA Talk.com, A Service of Community123 LLC ( Homeowners Association Discussions )   Terms Of Use  Privacy Statement