Get 1 year of free community web site hosting from Community123.com!
Friday, October 15, 2021

HOATalk is a free service of Community123.com:

Easy to use website tools to help your board
Only members have access to all features.
Click here to join HOATalk for Free! Members click here to login and access all features.
Subject: Managing Funds for Clubs and Committees
Prev Next
Please login to post a reply (click Member Login on the menu).
Author Messages
JustinZ
(Georgia)

10/31/2005 8:25 AM  
I am looking for some advice on how to manage funds for clubs and committees within our 500-home HOA. The primary question is whose name and tax ID number should go on the bank accounts.

For example, the tennis groups has about 200 members that pay small fees ($5) for coordinating leagues. Should that account use the HOA's tax id number, a unique tax id number, or a members SS# to open a bank account.

I estimate there are 5-10 such groups in the neighborhood. We don't want to micro-manage the funds, but if they use the HOA's tax ID number, I believe that we have to consolidate their account balances for our financial reports and income tax returns.

Thanks
Justin
LisaS
(Illinois)

11/02/2005 2:11 PM  
If they pay the fees to the association, then the association should have control and ownership of the funds (although they could go on a sub-account or separate account). As well, the association should include the funds in their acounting.

If the fees are paid directly to the 'committee'as an informal club, it would seem a private enterprise that can be handled by the committee chair.

You say you have a number of clubs and committees. I don't know if your documents allow for the formal creation of club officers and committees which are overseen by the Association, or if it is less formal and simply people getting together in groups to have fun. My fear is that if your committees/clubs are formal and part of your association structure and the funds are NOT controlled in association account, anyone who is not honest could use them inappropriately. I have seen it happen. One 'nice' person put the money in an account they open with their social security number, they are the only one who knows how much is in it, and no one realizes until it is too late that there are less funds than there should be.

I don't know if I helped because I have never been in your shoes, but I tried!
KrisD
(Wisconsin)

11/10/2005 7:13 PM  
In my neighborhood we have two distinct entities in part to address this issue.

One is the Homeowners Association which at this time is still controlled by our developer, but should be handed over to the neighborhood within 6 months (never any promises). Membership in the HOA is required per all our our title insurance and our dues cover care of the common area, liability insurance and a fund should we need to hire a lawyer.

The other entity we have in place is a Neighborhood Association. The NA is run by a completely separate Board of Directors (obviously we don't have a Board for the HOA, but when it is passed to us from the developer, it will be a completely different set of neighbors on that board). The NA is completely optional and serves as a conduit to City government as well as the social club of sorts. Dues money is primarly used to pay for social events such as our summer picnic, Halloween parade for the kids and Easter egg hunt.

Why don't we combine the two? Simple -- one is required and one is not. Like all neighborhoods, we have people that just want to live here, see the common areas taken care of and not participate in any social events. It would be wrong, to take their HOA dues money and put a hamburger in my stomache at the summer picnic. They are paying their HOA dues because it is required for care of our common areas.

This arrangement has worked out well although there has been some communication challenges trying to make sure the neigbors understand the difference between the two entities and realize why one is required and the other is optional.

I am also the webmaster of our neighborhood message board and that has certainly helped in communicating this issue and many others.
Please login to post a reply (click Member Login on the menu).
Forums > Homeowner Association > HOA Discussions > Managing Funds for Clubs and Committees

Only members have access to all features.
Click here to join HOATalk for Free! Members click here to login and access all features.

General Legal Notice:  The content of forum messages are from the posting member and have not been reviewed nor endorsed by HOATalk.com.  Messages posted by HOATalk or other members are for informational purposes only, are not legal or professional advice and do not constitute an attorney-client relationship.  Readers should not act upon this information without seeking professional counsel.  HOATalk is not a licensed attorney, CPA, tax advisor, financial advisor or any other licensed professional.  HOATalk accepts ads from sponsors but does not verify sponsor qualifications nor endorse/guarantee any sponsor's product or service.
Legal Notice For Messages Posted by Sponsoring Attorneys: This message has been prepared by the sponsoring attorney for informational purposes only and does not constitute legal advice. This information is not intended to create, and receipt of it does not constitute an attorney-client relationship. Readers of HOATalk.com should not act on this information without seeking professional counsel. Please do not send any sponsoring attorney confidential information unless you speak with the sponsoring attorney or an attorney from the sponsoring attorney’s firm and get authorization to send that information to them. If you wish to initiate possible representation, please contact an attorney in the firm of the sponsoring attorney. Sponsoring attorneys that post messages here are licensed to practice law in a specific state or states as indicated in their message signature or sponsor’s profile page. (NOTE: A ‘sponsoring attorney’ is an attorney that is a HOATalk.com official sponsor and is identified as such in the posted message or on our sponsor page.)

Copyright HOA Talk.com, A Service of Community123 LLC ( Homeowners Association Discussions )   Terms Of Use  Privacy Statement