Get 1 year of free community web site hosting from Community123.com!
Monday, October 18, 2021

HOATalk is a free service of Community123.com:

Easy to use website tools to help your board
Only members have access to all features.
Click here to join HOATalk for Free! Members click here to login and access all features.
Subject: disabled & feeling harrassed by HOA
Prev Next
Please login to post a reply (click Member Login on the menu).
Page 3 of 3 << < 123
Author Messages
EllenS1
(Florida)

04/13/2009 5:52 PM  
I defintely agree with Donna. This problem is in the hands of the court and not something to discuss on this site.
AnneH2
(Florida)

04/13/2009 6:01 PM  
Posted By DJ1 on 04/13/2009 6:22 AM
AnneH

Aren't you and some others doing the same thing as Bill?

You say, "I think that Bill's handicap is his personality and it preceeded his physical issues."

I'm not trying to point fingers cause in the heat of the moment I do it too (I try not to BUT,
div>

I'm not doing the same thing. His bullying and name calling have alienated me and I think that it may have alienated his HOA as well. He seems to use his disablity as a crutch (no pun intended)when his bigger problem seems to be his inability to process dissenting opinions. He asked for input and received from some very astute posters. What did he do? He resorted to name calling and bullying. He was out of line. And it makes me believe that his problems with his HOA run a little deeper than installing a driveway for his special needs vehicle.
KevinK7
(Florida)

04/13/2009 9:26 PM  
The way I view this situation, based on what has been presented, whether they are on-sided or embellished, are as follows:

Mr. Bill has owned a home for 17 years. During those 17 years, Mr. Bill had a storage shed and window AC unit. 6 years ago he had approval to build a wrought iron fence. He has been competing in various fishing tournaments. In 2007, Mr. Bill suffered a stroke that left him on perpetual oxygen and incapable of walking a long distance. To help facilitate his livelihood competing in these tournaments, Mr. Bill had purchased a Coach, that helped increase his mobility and to continue fishing.

Having the Coach parked on the street, the HOA had sent covenant enforcement letters stating that the vehicle could not remain there. To come into compliance, Mr. Bill had requested to build a second driveway and install a gate in their fence, but were denied. We the advice of an attorney, Mr. Bill had continued with building his driveway and gate.

The way I view this is that this Coach facilitates a need. I do not believe Mr. Bill is hiding behind a disability. My mother had needed oxygen 24/7 and when she continued to work, she could only do so for short amounts of time because of the limitations her oxygen canisters placed on her. Because Mr. Bill's work involved him to travel Texas for these fishing competitions, he would need a vehicle that would allow the transportation of his wheelchair as well as a supply of oxygen (where he once might have rented a hotel room and been able to use his car to travel).

I believe that Mr. Bill had made reasonable alterations to his property to come into compliance with the HOA, but I could only imagine how his HOA handled the situation, based on his comments made on this Board. I found his attitude towards several of the members on this message board to be belligerent and disrespectful, and from the responses, did not help his position any.

My suggestions would be to continue fighting the HOA, but to take a more civilized tone in your communications and attempt to understand the rationale presented by opposing views.
KevinK7
(Florida)

04/13/2009 9:32 PM  
I also agree that since this issue is now in the hands of the courts, any comment made may not be of any help (to Mr. Bill or to any visitors of this site), for such opinions would only be theoretical), although the reason I read this post was because I thought it was interesting that it was started a couple years ago, and am curious as to how this event plays out.

For other situations that I have read on this site, I have found it most helpful to read in entirety the issue presented by the poster, the various opinions, the course of action, and the conclusion
MicheleD
(Kentucky)

04/13/2009 9:39 PM  

The "coach" only facilitates a need while he's using the coach, not while he's using his permanent structure.

Kevin, my mother, too, is on 24/7 oxygen.

We installed a backup generator for her.

We didn't buy an RV.

I have no problems with his RV being outfitted for his needs while he's using it, but he doesn't require the RV while he's in his home.

He can outfit his home and park the RV off site.
DJ1
(Ontario)

04/14/2009 3:50 AM  
Michele, so because he lives in a HOA he should be forced to incur twice the expenditure to satisfy the HOA (2 generators,2 oxygen concentrators etc), the need for those items is directly caused by his disability?

Maybe the HOA will pay for the second one of each of these things to be installed in his home because they won't allow those same items to be parked a few feet away in the driveway then Bill could store the RV...although we haven't discussed how he will get himself and his wheelchair with oxygen tank in tow, to the storage facility so he can load himself into the vehicle.

DonnaS
(Tennessee)

04/14/2009 6:04 AM  

DJ,

Again and again it has been noted , Bill made a choice to buy this motor coach to enable him to go to fishing tournaments. It is not there to allow him to have 2 sources of power, sleeping ability and a mobility facility. It is there as a primary way to get to his tournaments. you wrote- "so because he lives in a HOA he should be forced to incur twice the expenditure to satisfy the HOA (2 generators,2 oxygen concentrators etc), the need for those items is directly caused by his disability?" And again I say, this is not primarily about "DISABILITY" It is about him wanting to skirt around the restrictions of his covenants. He chose to have this expense for his recreational and a second way to earn money (if he catches the big one.)not because he needed it for survival.

And again, the coach parked at his home is not what this is about. It is about NOT hiding it and not getting it approved in the first place. I have worked as a Board member with a H.O who had his ACC turned down 3 times until a good compromise was reached. So tell my why this issue with Bill got this far askew? I feel it was because both parties were unwilling to work it out.

MicheleD
(Kentucky)

04/14/2009 6:30 AM  
Posted By DJ1 on 04/14/2009 3:50 AM
Michele, so because he lives in a HOA he should be forced to incur twice the expenditure to satisfy the HOA (2 generators,2 oxygen concentrators etc), the need for those items is directly caused by his disability?

No, he should be outfitting his house permanently and incurring that expense because it's stupid to rely on a transitory back up like an RV. What happens if the RV is in the shop? What happens if it gets wrecked?

Seriously. This is a stupid argument/discussion because it's not about the RV being his only secure backup for his disability.

By the way, my mother has incurred triple the expense. We have installed back-up generators at her home, my sisters home and my home, for when she is staying with any of us. We have also installed ramps at each location. One does what one has to do.

Posted By DJ1 on 04/14/2009 3:50 AM
Maybe the HOA will pay for the second one of each of these things to be installed in his home because they won't allow those same items to be parked a few feet away in the driveway then Bill could store the RV...although we haven't discussed how he will get himself and his wheelchair with oxygen tank in tow, to the storage facility so he can load himself into the vehicle.

We don't have to discuss it. He would do it the same way everyone else does. He has other transportation vehicles and a wife. How does he manage to park and get around when he's at his tournaments? Seriously, again, you are sooo over dramatizing his dependency on this RV. It's not his iron lung. It's an RV.
MaryA1

04/14/2009 7:38 AM  
DJ,

For what it's worth, I completely agree with Michele. You need to get the blinds off and stop making excuses for Bill. Is it because you just like to argue or have you really bought into his mantra? I may be wrong, and frankly I really hope I am, but it really appears to me he is using his disability just to get his way.
JonD1

04/14/2009 9:03 AM  
I have read this thread and have to say what a waste of 5 pages of posts.

To speculate as to the facts of this matter based on the one side presented by Mr. Bill is a waste of time.

What I did notice was the nasty and arrogant comments Mr. Bill made to several people after not getting his desired response.

Now whether this attitude and temperment was present before the stroke or now has developed as a result of the stroke is up for debate. Only Mr. Bill and those around him know for sure. But in my big picture Mr. Bill's behavior doesn't affect me so I don't want to waste any more time.

Do we think the HOA Board is a group of nasty people looking to screw some disabled resident? The entire Board? It's possible.

Is it possible they have loads of extra cash for which they have no real positve use so they plan to appeal this until that money is used up? It's possible.

So collectivly they have come to the conclusion that this appeals process is worth the time, effort, aggravation and money. Could there be a legitimate reason?

Well anythings possible................

Perhaps, they are attempting to prevent someone from disregarding the rules and regulations in order to protect the property, it's value and maybe prevent others from using the excuse of disability to overun the rules others must abide by.

I for one would like to hear the other side.

One thought, winning in court does not mean you were correct or right. Winning in court can be affected by many issues including the limited knowledge of the court on HOA issues. And the courts imposing their version of what's correct.

You succeeded in costing your property thousands of dollars in legal costs and damaging your property and neighbors. If that is your version of success well then that poses yet another issue.

Perhaps Mr. Bill has incited their reactions by his behavior? Anythings possible.

One last interesting question, if things in court are going Mr. Bill's way as he suggested and the HOA has lost three times then why does he feel the need to come here and dwell on the matter.

In life you can decide to win or not with grace and dignity simply do what is necessary and move along. Guess Mr. Bill lacks this ability also.

Sometimes you just have to consider the possibilty that YOU might be cause of your own problems. Not everyone else.

Hopefully, other more constructive topics will be available in the future. For my money this thread served no useful purpose.
DonnaS
(Tennessee)

04/14/2009 9:15 AM  

THAT WAS SO WELL SAID JON,
DJ1
(Ontario)

04/14/2009 9:25 AM  
Posted By MaryA1 on 04/14/2009 7:38 AM
DJ,

For what it's worth, I completely agree with Michele. You need to get the blinds off and stop making excuses for Bill. Is it because you just like to argue or have you really bought into his mantra? I may be wrong, and frankly I really hope I am, but it really appears to me he is using his disability just to get his way.

Funny how if someone takes the opposite view you turn this into making excuses, having blinders on, arguing etc. The points I've raised are just as valid and equally provide an explanation for some of the issues raised, and I do it with sincerity but believe whatever you like. We could all make up stories but there has to be a basic level that a poster is being sincere, and if other details come out in subsequent posts it doesn't mean they were misleading. Maybe I'm more gullible or perhaps more willing to consider them with a more open mind than someone who is defensive after being insulted.
DJ1
(Ontario)

04/14/2009 10:03 AM  
Michelle,

PERHAPS I am misunderstanding the functions the RV is providing while he is at home as I don't know how often you need the oxygen concentrator etc.

Are these things needs on a daily basis, weekly, monthly?

I agree he 'could' outfit his house, assuming he doesn't run into approval issues there as well, but then he will still need a mobile source of those same services won't he?

So, if he goes your route it is solely because of the HOA failing to accomodate his 'choice' of options that he incurs these additional expenses. Is that reasonable accomodation, or, is letting have the RV available to provide the services reasonable?

It isn't really relevant that your mother had the funds to have 3X generator.

Maybe it is more stupid to force him to outfit his house which can't go with him when and where he needs these services as opposed to having the services mobile.

KevinK7's Post:4/13/2009 9:26:02 PM seems to be on the same wavelength as me and sums things the same way I am viewing this issue INCLUDING the suggestion for a more civilized tone. I'm not defending that behaviour, just separating it from the reason for a RV.

Don't know if that means he is also has blinders on in Mary's eyes!
MicheleD
(Kentucky)

04/14/2009 10:22 AM  
DJ, what about anything I've said or written leads you to believe I have any problem with him outfitting his RV to accommodate his disability?

By implying that you are majorly shifting my point and the discussion.

This isn't about whether he has any right or need to outfit his RV for his disability.

He can do that til the cows come home. What do I care how max he wants to pimp his ride?

My point is that his trying to use the fact that his RV is outfitted for his disability is somehow a valid reason why he must then keep and store it in his driveway when he's not using it is bogus.

I just don't buy it and I never will.

My mother did not have the funds to have 3x the generator or 3 ramps built. I can assure you, a retired receptionist and widow of a blue-collar worker hardly leaves her with the funds to accomplish such a thing.

But if she were depending on an RV to provide her 24/7 "support" while she was residing in one of those residences, then my husband would sell whatever it took to make sure that permanent 24/7 back up support were available. My mother comes to visit with my family and my sister's family at various times during the year. We have retrofit several areas of our home for her comfort and safety. And, were her "backup" an RV that she used while she stayed with us, since our HOA does not allow RVs in driveways or on the street, my husband would STILL retrofit our home with the backup and not try to wiggle out of it by claiming "Disabled! Disabled!" And, since my sister does not live in an HOA, I can tell you that she and her husband would STILL retrofit their home as well, because it's just ludicrous to rely on an RV with no backup for that either.

Seriously. Relying on the RV while he's using it is one thing. Though where's the back up for that if needed? I'm sure he would find it, just as many others do.

But to use an RV as your 24/7 backup at home is short sighted and risky.

The more you present these odd and hypothetical scenarios, the more you solidify my initial conclusion. This is not about legitimate back up, this is about something else entirely.

** By the way, it should be noted that Medical Equipment companies rent and/or lease much of this equipment, especially the mobile ones. They also have 24/7 emergency response to deliver backup equipment if the current equipment fails for whatever reason. And there are also some mobile units that supply oxygen with battery backup that can last as long as a couple days if need be.

Just sayin'.
MicheleD
(Kentucky)

04/14/2009 10:24 AM  
By the way, those mobile battery-operated units fit quite fine inside the home. Some are even portable enough to be moved from room to room.
DJ1
(Ontario)

04/14/2009 10:59 AM  
Michele,

"DJ, what about anything I've said or written leads you to believe I have any problem with him outfitting his RV to accommodate his disability?"

Nothing, and I don't know where you are getting that.

"My point is that his trying to use the fact that his RV is outfitted for his disability is somehow a valid reason why he must then keep and store it in his driveway when he's not using it is bogus."

I understood he IS using it at home/in driveway.

"But to use an RV as your 24/7 backup at home is short sighted and risky."

Perhaps I've misunderstood but I thought the RV is the primary source NOT a backup at home.

Perhaps someone knows the answer to the question I raised,

"PERHAPS I am misunderstanding the functions the RV is providing while he is at home as I don't know how often you need the oxygen concentrator etc.

Are these things needs on a daily basis, weekly, monthly?"

MicheleD
(Kentucky)

04/14/2009 11:55 AM  
DJ, it would be very unlikely that he's using it as his primary source.

Very unwise, in my opinion, and probably very costly in terms of energy use, too. Not to mention that to do that, he'd have to be living in it, and he already said he doesn't do that.

People who require oxygen, generally require a 24/7 intake in some way.

Most units allow for high mobility, unless one is bedridden. Even then they have charged portable units to move about if they can use a chair, too.

My mother has a stationary unit in her bedroom, plugged into the wall and pretty heavy. Not intended to move around. One might label this one "installed."

She has an ottoman-size unit on wheels in her hallway with a LOOOOONG oxygen hose on it so she can reach any area of her living room, and her kitchen and bathroom.

Then she has a unit that she can fit in her purse for when she goes on car rides, and a unit a littler larger than that one that attaches to her wheel chair/scooter. Both of those are rechargeable.

So even if the electricity goes out, there are plenty of "backups" without having to crank up the generator, at least in the short term of somewhere between a couple hours to a day. Then the equipment company can provide replacement portables, if need be, and if possible. In the case of our last ice storm, for example, my mom's electricity was out for almost 2 weeks. But, because we had the generator put in after some storms last year, it wasn't that much of an issue. My husband did have to go over there and monitor it.

Again, keep in mind most of this oxygen is leased, not purchased, and most is covered in part or in whole by either private insurance or Medicare/Medicaid or whatever.

Like I said, it's highly unlikely that he's tied to this RV as one would be to an iron lung.

It appears I may be looking at apples, and you may be looking at oranges.

MicheleD
(Kentucky)

04/14/2009 11:57 AM  
**oxygen equipment
BillL3
(Texas)

04/14/2009 12:11 PM  
Ok, I am back to try and set a few things straight. As I have stated, everything that I have stated is entirely correct and not misconstrued in any way. The one thing that seems to be a big issue with some (most) of the women on this site is they seem to think this RV is used to go fishing for recreational purposes...IT IS NOT! I was doing the actual hands on fishing for a living until my stroke in 2007. I have owned a very successful Bass Fishing Tournament circuit and put on 87 Tournaments per year since 1997...This RV rolls in & out of my home 14 times per month just to go to Tournaments, not to mention the times it leaves to go for service and washing. I PARK it at my home...NOT STORE it there, sometimes the RV is gone for 2-3 days at a time. Restrictions of my HOA states that a vehicle must be moved on a daily basis....IT ALMOST IS! Think about it, is your vehicle moved on a daily basis...probably not. Let me tell ALL of you, I am not hiding behind any sort of disability, only trying to make my life easier to deal with and make a living being around what I loved to do.

I do wish to address to ALL of the women (and a few of the guys) who have been bashing me on this site for 2 years. I must note to you that the things you were reporting were not entirely true because you did not know the whole story...so as women...you were assuming...and we all know what that does.
DJ1 is the only one that has figured out the entire problem and can see the reasonable explanation of this case. I have been told today by my attorney that the HOA may not go forward with the suit scheduled to go to court on June 1 because their attorney has said that he does not think they can win the case and the HOA is tired of spending money. We will see, If and when this is over I will post everything that anyone wants to know about this case. I have given enough information for any of you to be able to find me. Never Never Never would Mr Bill be hiding behind any sort of anything girls!!
MicheleD
(Kentucky)

04/14/2009 12:21 PM  
Thank you, Bill, for confirming my position for me.

Park/store - tomaytoe/tomahto

Work/recreation - potaytoe/potahto

I guess my gender is entirely responsible for my opinion and interpretation.

Who knew hormones worked that way?

By the way, I certainly don't know why you would think it matters to any of us what you do with the RV off your lot or why you use it when you don't have it parked in your driveway. You could be organizing dance competitions with it for all I care. It has nothing to do with the fact that RVs aren't allowed to be KEPT on lots, whether for a day or a week.

The fact is, while you are at your home, those 14 or 15 OTHER times you are not hauling your office to another tournament, you don't require the RV for functioning in your house.

You simply don't want to be inconvenienced to store it/park it/keep it off site.

Thanks for the clarification.

BillL3
(Texas)

04/14/2009 12:28 PM  
Michelle...Thank You!! for clarifying IGNORANCE!!
RobertR1
(South Carolina)

04/14/2009 12:30 PM  
Jon,
Not picking on you and your post is a great response as Donna says.
No doubt all has been said until Bill reappears and stirs the pot again, and he has a right to do that (within bounds and he should by now know this).

But you first sentence Jon about five pages of a wasted effort is just not factual. Anytime a group of folks can talk back and forth about any subject and disagree and not ending up yelling at each other is constructive. This site have the power to sweep you up and move you down the road faster than you want to go. I suppose that is part of it's charm. But, sure as shooting, this will fade and away we go on something else. I have said this before but it bears repeating: At an annual meeting we had a real dust up with a couple of people standing up and tearing into a vocal rant about some stuff. Pretty hot for a while and the chair let it continue far too long. Anyway, when the dust settled and we were sitting around the campfire (imaginary) one of the cowpoke said, "That sure was a mighty fine example of the Democratic process." Much the same can be said of this thread.
JohnB7
(South Carolina)

04/14/2009 1:00 PM  
Posted By DonnaS on 04/14/2009 6:04 AM

DJ,

Again and again it has been noted , Bill made a choice to buy this motor coach to enable him to go to fishing tournaments. It is not there to allow him to have 2 sources of power, sleeping ability and a mobility facility. It is there as a primary way to get to his tournaments. you wrote- "so because he lives in a HOA he should be forced to incur twice the expenditure to satisfy the HOA (2 generators,2 oxygen concentrators etc), the need for those items is directly caused by his disability?" And again I say, this is not primarily about "DISABILITY" It is about him wanting to skirt around the restrictions of his covenants. He chose to have this expense for his recreational and a second way to earn money (if he catches the big one.)not because he needed it for survival.

And again, the coach parked at his home is not what this is about. It is about NOT hiding it and not getting it approved in the first place. I have worked as a Board member with a H.O who had his ACC turned down 3 times until a good compromise was reached. So tell my why this issue with Bill got this far askew? I feel it was because both parties were unwilling to work it out.

"It is about him wanting to skirt around the restrictions of his covenants."

Sorry, but the ADA trumps the restrictions.
BillL3
(Texas)

04/14/2009 1:09 PM  
Sorry ya'll but I just can not help seeing things that are being said that are not true...I.E Michelle: By the way, You could be organizing dance competitions with it for all I care. It has nothing to do with the fact that RVs aren't allowed to be KEPT on lots, whether for a day or a week.
This is not a true statement, My CCR's do not forbid me to have an RV on my driveway for my transportation as long as it is moved on a daily basis.....No need to Thank me for clarifying that either Michelle...
JonD1

04/14/2009 1:41 PM  
Robert:

With all due respect the property I live in is faced with serious issues. In light of these economic times I would guess many properties face those same challenges.

This forum can be halpful is dealing with the same. Wasting time speculating over the facts of a particular matter from Texas which has supposedly been settled now in the courts seems to be less than useful.

I don't mind debating or discussing differnet sides of many issues what I find offensive is when someone attacks an individual simply because they fail to agree with you.

It demonstrates a complete lack of class.......................

Bill your 15 minutes is up.................
BillL3
(Texas)

04/14/2009 1:53 PM  
Hey JonD1...Dont worry about me, I'll be dead before too long..BUT Thanks for noting that you are the time keeper on this site...My Time will be up WHEN I DIE my friend....Thank You for your responses...
MicheleD
(Kentucky)

04/14/2009 1:56 PM  
Posted By JohnB7 on 04/14/2009 1:00 PM
Posted By DonnaS on 04/14/2009 6:04 AM

DJ,

"It is about him wanting to skirt around the restrictions of his covenants."

Sorry, but the ADA trumps the restrictions.

So if my restrictions say my house needs to have a green door and I paint it red, if I point to ADA I can say, "Trump card!"

The ADA only trumps restrictions that directly affect the disability.

Parking an RV in a driveway is not a protected right ala ADA, in and of itself.

There MAY be some connection somewhere in some obscure case and with some unique RV, but I highly doubt it.

And in this case it's no different than claiming the right to break the Green Door Requirement because I'm disabled in some way.
BillL3
(Texas)

04/14/2009 2:19 PM  

There MAY be some connection somewhere in some obscure case and with some unique RV, but I highly doubt it.

And in this case it's no different than claiming the right to break the Green Door Requirement because I'm disabled in some way.

There you go again Michelle, stating things that you do not know anything about....My CCR's have been followed to the T...Do you honestly think that my wife and I would spend all that we have spent on this if we did not honestly believe that we will win in the end. And yes, we are bringing suit against the HOA for continued harassment and attorneys fees...Thanks again for stating your mind in this matter.
Hey JonD1...Class 101...is re-opened my friend!!
It really does not matter who agrees with my opinion on this or not, that is not the issue...The issue is Right & Wrong...Legal & Illegal...I am playing by their own written by laws.....
GlenL
(Ohio)

04/14/2009 4:33 PM  
Posted By BillL3 on 04/14/2009 2:19 PM

There you go again Michelle, stating things that you do not know anything about....My CCR's have been followed to the T...Do you honestly think that my wife and I would spend all that we have spent on this if we did not honestly believe that we will win in the end.

It really does not matter who agrees with my opinion on this or not, that is not the issue...The issue is Right & Wrong...Legal & Illegal...I am playing by their own written by laws.....

If you are doing what is allowed by your CC&R's then why bring up your "disability" at all? That information is extraneous to the matter at hand. Whether you have the right to do what the BOD sees as a violation of the CC&R's.

Studies show that 5 out of 4 people have problems with fractions
MaryA1

04/14/2009 4:39 PM  
Bill,

So you are counter-suing the assn for harassment and attorney's fees? Since you agree the original lawsuit could not be about a violation of the ADA, can you tell us exactly what it was for? There has been a lot of speculation going on here, I fear.
EllenS1
(Florida)

04/14/2009 6:07 PM  
Bill,

You seem to have a problem with women. I say it is time to stop beating a dead horse and stop these posts. From what I have read you are operating a busines out of your home, probably another violation. Good luck on your court case and spare us from any more posts. Why is it necessary if you think you will prevail?

Another woman who believes Bill is just venting with no end in sight.
JonD1

04/14/2009 6:13 PM  
Mr. Bill

You come across as being an angry, bitter, broken old man who MUST prove their point even to those not involved. Sounds like you have enough hate to go around.

It is not right versus wrong Bill it is YOUR version of right. Here's a news flash for you people don't have to agree with you that's life.

If things are going your way don't you have better things to do then return hear and foam at the mouth? Is this what your life has now become?

Karma Bill what goes around comes around I've always believed in that.

Class and decency is not something lost to a stroke............. Life 101
EllenS1
(Florida)

04/14/2009 6:22 PM  
My God I am glad I am not Bill's wife. It appears he has such tunnel vision about this thing..he won't let it go after two years. He claims his lawuit will be in his favor on June 1. If so, one should ask what will he do with his spare time after he wins. He'll have to go to another site and stir things up to get attention. Very sad that this is his life.
RobertR1
(South Carolina)

04/14/2009 6:37 PM  
To all,
Of course the obvious is plain.
No one has to post on this thread. I am not shutting Bill down. I am just saying I have heard enough.
MaryA1

04/14/2009 6:44 PM  
Ditto!!
DJ1
(Ontario)

04/14/2009 6:52 PM  
I'm ending my commentary, other than to add to Michele's comment

"Again, keep in mind most of this oxygen is leased, not purchased,"

Don't we all just lease the oxygen we breath...until we die anyways!

I'm taking it to the lighter side since some others question my sincerity for commenting.
MicheleD
(Kentucky)

04/14/2009 6:56 PM  

**chuckle**

I know, I was thinking faster than my fingers could type!

I believe I posted a follow up to correct that to **oxygen equipment**!!

Posted By DJ1 on 04/14/2009 6:52 PM
I'm ending my commentary, other than to add to Michele's comment

"Again, keep in mind most of this oxygen is leased, not purchased,"

Don't we all just lease the oxygen we breath...until we die anyways!

I'm taking it to the lighter side since some others question my sincerity for commenting.

KevinK7
(Florida)

04/14/2009 10:08 PM  
Posted By MicheleD on 04/14/2009 1:56 PM

So if my restrictions say my house needs to have a green door and I paint it red, if I point to ADA I can say, "Trump card!"

I could assume you could break the Green Door Requirement if you suffer from a Red-Green Color Blindness!

Sorry, thought I might make a little joke.

BillL3
(Texas)

08/30/2009 2:56 PM  
I am back....and WE WON!!........Anyone needing a Damn good Attorney to fight a HOA contact me at [email protected]
SteveM9
(Massachusetts)

08/31/2009 7:51 AM  
Posted By BillL3 on 08/30/2009 2:56 PM
I am back....and WE WON!!........

In other news the HOA has issued a special assessment of $6,000 on each property to cover the legal costs against BillL3.

You won? LOL

Even when you win, you loose. After all, its your money they are fighting you with.
MicheleD
(Kentucky)

08/31/2009 8:09 AM  
And....given Bill's track record with veracity, did anyone ever question that he would come back with a "we won" post?
DonnaS
(Tennessee)

08/31/2009 9:03 AM  

Geez Michelle,

I've been waiting for months for Bill to come back exactly as he did. You know, the kind who won't let go of anything---ever!!
BillL3
(Texas)

08/31/2009 10:40 AM  
Mee ohh My, that Michelle & Donna are about as smart as a bunch of swamp donkeys...Ya'll should enter a "sharpest tack" or "brightest crayon" contest, BUT it would probably come out a tie. Anyone would have known that I would post a WIN! after the fact. I would not have been back with a loss to post though. And, hey Steve...they did not raise any fees in this neighborhood, as a matter of fact...the final blow was the 252 of the 276 property owners coming together to tell the "Lowly HOA" to back off and leave us alone and stop spending their money to fight this unnessesary case. And Donna you want to know about "EVER" I will "forever" leave you here in your own pool of ???????? over 3700 posts, GIT A LIFE!!!
By the way, Thanks to all the very nice folks that did respond in a civil and nice way to all the posts that I did make on here...especially the ones to respond to wanting a damn good attorney...later and remember, never never ever take no crap from a "LOWLY HOA"........
MicheleD
(Kentucky)

08/31/2009 10:49 AM  
So the Donkey Bill says.

I have some swampland for sale, too. Wanna buy it?
DJ1
(Ontario)

08/31/2009 12:05 PM  
Posted By SteveM9 on 08/31/2009 7:51 AM
Posted By BillL3 on 08/30/2009 2:56 PM
I am back....and WE WON!!........

In other news the HOA has issued a special assessment of $6,000 on each property to cover the legal costs against BillL3.

You won? LOL

Even when you win, you loose. After all, its your money they are fighting you with.

SteveM9, I always find the argument you presented as an odd one when someone suggests it as a reason not to pursue an action against ones HOA. Even if each HO was assessed 6000.00 including Bill, to pay a judgement back TO Bill, he would still be way ahead, assuming the Judge allowed them to assess him 6000.00 in the first place.

Let's turn your argument around for a minute and question why Board members who also would incur the 6000.00 assessment, would want to pursue litigation if they know they may have to issue a special assessment on themselves. NEITHER argument imo carries any weight as far as a reason not to pursue what you feel is right. I would feel no guilt that my neighbours now have to pay 6000.00 each to cover a judgement because the Board are elected by the members and if the members select them, they have to live with the consequences of their choice, NOT BILL.
RobertR1
(South Carolina)

08/31/2009 12:45 PM  
Bill,
In view of the recent event maybe you would be so good as to reference the Settlement the judge made in you case and psot his orders or directives or maybe post the notice of your Board to collect these assessments.

You would be doing all that read this site a favor if they could read this court decision and avoid what to do in the future. Surely the judge's rulling would cite case law and be in the Public DFomain. Maybe a url that we could go to and learn.
DonnaS
(Tennessee)

08/31/2009 1:47 PM  

I have to say that in the 5 plus years that I have posted and read posts on this site, never has there been a more mean spirited person who has zeroed in on specific replys. I went back to my original post where Bill's reply went on an immediate attack. No where did I ever call him names nor get down low as he has with name calling . He has used his disablility as his weapon of choice but it isn't working to encourage sympathy towards his problem with his HOA. I do feel sorry for such an angry person. Please do not say that I am against helping the disabled because that is dead wrong. I work everyday teaching and helping the disabled with growing food gardens for themselves and how to enjoy the nature around them. So Bill, now that you have "won", maybe you can look at your world from a much happier place and get back to fishing.
EllenS1
(Florida)

08/31/2009 1:50 PM  
Robert,

I'm with you. "Trust but verify". I'll be waiting for Bill's proof of his winning.
FrancescaM
(Washington)

09/03/2009 10:50 PM  
Wow... what a sad sad sad post and response session this turned in to...
DJ1
(Ontario)

09/05/2009 10:01 AM  
Bill's return post did not say anything negative, it wasn't until Michelle and Donna egged him on that he responded in kind imo. Other than the requests for references the thread would have ended there so we all need to look in the mirror.
DJ1
(Ontario)

09/05/2009 10:07 AM  
PS. That is NOT to excuse the comments prior to his follow-up. It is always nice to learn the final outcome on a thread like this so a 'we won' comment shouldn't offend anyone. Just an observation on my part. Take it for what its worth, something or nothing!
RobertR1
(South Carolina)

09/05/2009 10:28 AM  
DJ,
I think I know where the nothing is in Bill's post, what my concern is has nothing to do with Bill. I am looking for the "something" that is going to make this thread significant.........to me.

But, I can live with the "nothing".........I am sure the "something" judges ruling would be different from judge to judge unless case law is quoted, then you have something to hang your hat on.

But, as you say..............no big deal, move on!
DJ1
(Ontario)

09/05/2009 1:44 PM  
RobertR1, the something/nothing was with regards to my observation as I'm not trying to offend Donna or Michelle and I have no doubt they will give my thoughts the weight it deserves... . I see what your point regarding the value of the OP posts without the meat some would appreciate to turn it into something they may apply to their associations.

Who knows, I could be Bill posting under another alias just to stir up HOA talk and some particular posters.

I try to take things at face value....but I'm gullible and would have long ago bought swampland in Florida if it wasn't for the much higher out of state tax burden.

I probably shouldn't joke about posting under another alias as this general issue comes up here from time to time making fine fodder as to the legitimacy or sincerity of many a thread for any wanna be conspiracy theorists out there...but it is a slow day.
RonaldR5
(Georgia)

09/18/2017 7:55 PM  
I am an uncommon situation where I have been denied a conversion van in my yard, not completely out of site and was forced to move it, well i had to sell it. I have since requested to van a much smaller VW van that contained a bed and a DC/AC converter, no kitchen or bathroom facilities. It was also denied but my health required frequent rests and an oxygen concentrator for any travels of about 100 miles or so. Just want so feedback before I present my case to an ADA agency or attorney. I really cannot afford to move but that is my favored option. Can anyone shed some light on this to see how your HOA may have handled this type of situation. The van that would accomodate my needs has no outside appearance of a motor home other than some of them have an optional pop top. Please share any info if you can. thank you
RonaldR5
(Georgia)

09/18/2017 7:56 PM  
I am an uncommon situation where I have been denied a conversion van in my yard, not completely out of site and was forced to move it, well i had to sell it. I have since requested to van a much smaller VW van that contained a bed and a DC/AC converter, no kitchen or bathroom facilities. It was also denied but my health required frequent rests and an oxygen concentrator for any travels of about 100 miles or so. Just want so feedback before I present my case to an ADA agency or attorney. I really cannot afford to move but that is my favored option. Can anyone shed some light on this to see how your HOA may have handled this type of situation. The van that would accomodate my needs has no outside appearance of a motor home other than some of them have an optional pop top. Please share any info if you can. thank you
TimB4
(Virginia)

09/18/2017 8:02 PM  
Ronald,

This is an old thread. It's best to start a new thread then to reactivate an old one as your question may easily be lost as many simply read the original post and respond to that.
JanetB2
(Colorado)

09/19/2017 12:17 AM  
Posted By RonaldR5 on 09/18/2017 7:56 PM

As Tim noted you should start a New Thread for your New topic. Not only because it is slightly different, but also because you are from a different STATE with different State Laws. While your question may pertain toward also Federal Laws we like to keep posters from various States separate to avoid individuals thinking their state allows or not allow certain items to avoid confusion.
Please login to post a reply (click Member Login on the menu).
Page 3 of 3 << < 123
Forums > Homeowner Association > HOA Discussions > disabled & feeling harrassed by HOA

Only members have access to all features.
Click here to join HOATalk for Free! Members click here to login and access all features.

General Legal Notice:  The content of forum messages are from the posting member and have not been reviewed nor endorsed by HOATalk.com.  Messages posted by HOATalk or other members are for informational purposes only, are not legal or professional advice and do not constitute an attorney-client relationship.  Readers should not act upon this information without seeking professional counsel.  HOATalk is not a licensed attorney, CPA, tax advisor, financial advisor or any other licensed professional.  HOATalk accepts ads from sponsors but does not verify sponsor qualifications nor endorse/guarantee any sponsor's product or service.
Legal Notice For Messages Posted by Sponsoring Attorneys: This message has been prepared by the sponsoring attorney for informational purposes only and does not constitute legal advice. This information is not intended to create, and receipt of it does not constitute an attorney-client relationship. Readers of HOATalk.com should not act on this information without seeking professional counsel. Please do not send any sponsoring attorney confidential information unless you speak with the sponsoring attorney or an attorney from the sponsoring attorney’s firm and get authorization to send that information to them. If you wish to initiate possible representation, please contact an attorney in the firm of the sponsoring attorney. Sponsoring attorneys that post messages here are licensed to practice law in a specific state or states as indicated in their message signature or sponsor’s profile page. (NOTE: A ‘sponsoring attorney’ is an attorney that is a HOATalk.com official sponsor and is identified as such in the posted message or on our sponsor page.)

Copyright HOA Talk.com, A Service of Community123 LLC ( Homeowners Association Discussions )   Terms Of Use  Privacy Statement