Get 1 year of free community web site hosting from Community123.com!
Monday, November 29, 2021

HOATalk is a free service of Community123.com:

Easy to use website tools to help your board
Only members have access to all features.
Click here to join HOATalk for Free! Members click here to login and access all features.
Subject: Homeowners petition to remove MC and merge HOA into neighboring HOA.
Prev Next
Please login to post a reply (click Member Login on the menu).
Author Messages
PatrickE
(Texas)

05/05/2006 1:11 PM  
First let me give you a little background on the situation:

In Texas…

We are an aprox. 300 house community and have a HOA that was established by the builder and turned over to the neighborhood 2 years ago. The HOA board is contracted with a management company that was affiliated with the builder of the community. We have 5 neighboring communities that all have one HOA to represent them and we are the lone standout. We have minimal common area: 1 small park, 1 retention pond that is owned by the MUD and maintained by the HOA and the entrance to the community. For the pass 2 years there has not been a quorum at any meeting to elect a new board so the existing one has stayed on. There are not any activities in the neighborhood and it seems that all the MC can do is send out violation letters. There is unrest amongst the homeowners and there is talk of merging into a neighboring HOA, which is active and very well liked in the community. I have already talked with a board member of the HOA that we would like to merge with and they are open to the idea.

What would be my best coarse of action to get this done? Mind you that the board is not real receptive in any talk like this.
HaroldS
(Arizona)

05/05/2006 1:41 PM  
Does your documents address the mechanics of "merging" with another HOA? This sounds like a major task.
Just because this other HOA has a nice board now doesn't mean it will always be that way. But the grass is always greener......
With minimal common area to maintain, why would you want to hook up with another HOA that might have major expenses they'd love to share with you?
Why don't you put this member unrest to use and replace your existing board with a nice one? I think it would be a lot easier.
Harold
RogerB
(Colorado)

05/05/2006 4:08 PM  
Patrick, with the info you provided I see no reason to merge. Your By-laws should state the procedure to call another meeting, with lowered quorum requirements, when a quorum is not achieved. Plus you should consider amending the By-laws to lower the requirements for a quorum.

Why is it about a neighboring HOA being active and well liked that your association can not do? Why not? If most of the members want more activities then why not form a Committee and fund it. If the current Board doesn't agree then vote in new directors. You infer the management company may not doing their job properly; if so replace them.

Be careful what you wish for, you might get it
LuciusD

05/05/2006 6:43 PM  
It sounds to me like you have a totally incompetent board and an irresponsible management company.
Your association needs the advice of a competent attorney to interpret your governing documents and get you back on track.
If there have been no properly conducted elections, it occurs to me you may have no legal board members and no ability to conduct business legally.
Instead of a merger, why don't you try to give the common areas away and dissolve the association? I does not sound like it's doing anyone any good.
Please login to post a reply (click Member Login on the menu).
Forums > Homeowner Association > HOA Discussions > Homeowners petition to remove MC and merge HOA into neighboring HOA.

Only members have access to all features.
Click here to join HOATalk for Free! Members click here to login and access all features.

General Legal Notice:  The content of forum messages are from the posting member and have not been reviewed nor endorsed by HOATalk.com.  Messages posted by HOATalk or other members are for informational purposes only, are not legal or professional advice and do not constitute an attorney-client relationship.  Readers should not act upon this information without seeking professional counsel.  HOATalk is not a licensed attorney, CPA, tax advisor, financial advisor or any other licensed professional.  HOATalk accepts ads from sponsors but does not verify sponsor qualifications nor endorse/guarantee any sponsor's product or service.
Legal Notice For Messages Posted by Sponsoring Attorneys: This message has been prepared by the sponsoring attorney for informational purposes only and does not constitute legal advice. This information is not intended to create, and receipt of it does not constitute an attorney-client relationship. Readers of HOATalk.com should not act on this information without seeking professional counsel. Please do not send any sponsoring attorney confidential information unless you speak with the sponsoring attorney or an attorney from the sponsoring attorney’s firm and get authorization to send that information to them. If you wish to initiate possible representation, please contact an attorney in the firm of the sponsoring attorney. Sponsoring attorneys that post messages here are licensed to practice law in a specific state or states as indicated in their message signature or sponsor’s profile page. (NOTE: A ‘sponsoring attorney’ is an attorney that is a HOATalk.com official sponsor and is identified as such in the posted message or on our sponsor page.)

Copyright HOA Talk.com, A Service of Community123 LLC ( Homeowners Association Discussions )   Terms Of Use  Privacy Statement