Get 1 year of free community web site hosting from!
Monday, November 29, 2021

HOATalk is a free service of

Easy to use website tools to help your board
Only members have access to all features.
Click here to join HOATalk for Free! Members click here to login and access all features.
Subject: Negligent or Mentally Unstable Owner
Prev Next
Please login to post a reply (click Member Login on the menu).
Author Messages


05/03/2006 2:51 PM  
We have an owner who refuses to fix plumbing in her unit, emails threatening messages to board members about "elder abuse", and won't be there to let maintenance or board members in to review her complaints.
Her gross negligence is becoming a concern due to the mildew and possibility of mold moving to other units.
Do we have a legal way to impose on her to fix her unit before it causes harm to others or are the neighboring units left waiting until mold spreads to their units.
A plumber and board members have had to breakin (move a sliding door) to get in to fix a plumbing break before. The owner a year later still believes that her leaking tub faucet was caused by this plumber and has not had it fixed.
She never provide a phone number or calls or property managements, just send crytic emails to the board.


05/03/2006 3:26 PM  
One of our recent news articles is somewhat related:

"NC: Mold Causing Problems In South Charlotte Condo"

Paste this address into your browser:, A free service of
Provider of Upscale Community Websites
CLICK HERE to get a FREE trial community website
*See legal notice below (end of page) or go to


05/04/2006 1:26 PM  
There should be a law that would allow a HOA to impose legal requirements that an owner fix up something before it gets moved into the vortex of foreclosure. Is there anything like this? Clearly this could affect more peopel and cost more money in the long run. Part of the HOA reponsibility to take care of the building, thre should be a law that allows an HOA to require an owner fix things.


05/04/2006 8:58 PM  
An owner is required to perform due diligence with regard to cleanliness and maintenance, just as the HOA is. They are also required to mitigate their problem before it becomes everyone's problem.

It appears the only route that will get it done if this person is as unstable and uncooperative as you say is the legal one. I suggest you contact an attorney ASAP.
Please login to post a reply (click Member Login on the menu).
Forums > Homeowner Association > HOA Discussions > Negligent or Mentally Unstable Owner

Only members have access to all features.
Click here to join HOATalk for Free! Members click here to login and access all features.

General Legal Notice:  The content of forum messages are from the posting member and have not been reviewed nor endorsed by  Messages posted by HOATalk or other members are for informational purposes only, are not legal or professional advice and do not constitute an attorney-client relationship.  Readers should not act upon this information without seeking professional counsel.  HOATalk is not a licensed attorney, CPA, tax advisor, financial advisor or any other licensed professional.  HOATalk accepts ads from sponsors but does not verify sponsor qualifications nor endorse/guarantee any sponsor's product or service.
Legal Notice For Messages Posted by Sponsoring Attorneys: This message has been prepared by the sponsoring attorney for informational purposes only and does not constitute legal advice. This information is not intended to create, and receipt of it does not constitute an attorney-client relationship. Readers of should not act on this information without seeking professional counsel. Please do not send any sponsoring attorney confidential information unless you speak with the sponsoring attorney or an attorney from the sponsoring attorney’s firm and get authorization to send that information to them. If you wish to initiate possible representation, please contact an attorney in the firm of the sponsoring attorney. Sponsoring attorneys that post messages here are licensed to practice law in a specific state or states as indicated in their message signature or sponsor’s profile page. (NOTE: A ‘sponsoring attorney’ is an attorney that is a official sponsor and is identified as such in the posted message or on our sponsor page.)

Copyright HOA, A Service of Community123 LLC ( Homeowners Association Discussions )   Terms Of Use  Privacy Statement