Get 1 year of free community web site hosting from Community123.com!
Friday, December 03, 2021

HOATalk is a free service of Community123.com:

Easy to use website tools to help your board
Only members have access to all features.
Click here to join HOATalk for Free! Members click here to login and access all features.
Subject: Death of a community resident
Prev Next
Please login to post a reply (click Member Login on the menu).
Author Messages
MichaelS56
(Minnesota)

11/23/2021 4:21 AM  
What system do you use to inform the rest of the community when a member of the community has passed away?
JohnT38
(South Carolina)

11/23/2021 4:23 AM  
We don't.
SheliaH
(Indiana)

11/23/2021 5:00 AM  
Some families want people to know, others don't - and unfortunately, many communities aren't really close like that anymore. As a practical matter, it's probably best to limit that information among the neighbors because some people use this as an opportunity to break into the deceased house.

If the board wants to do anything, send a sympathy card on behalf of the community and be done with it - the family will likely notify the neighbors they want informed about the passing.

BarbaraT1
(Texas)

11/23/2021 5:38 AM  
Unless the person was incredibly well known (“Bob, who played Santa every year at the holiday party”) or the death occurred on the property in some public way - house fire, they fell off the roof etc - why would the HOA inform the community of a residents death?

AugustinD

11/23/2021 6:12 AM  
I think most of the time, the HOA announcing a resident or owner's death is not appropriate and risks offending the family. I would vote to not even send a card, since the relationship the HOA had with the resident may not be to the family's liking.

Newspaper obituaries, for other than well-known-by-the-public people (politicians, celebrities et cetera), only happen when a family pays for and submits one.

If the family appears at the manager's office or in a phone call on probate-related matters, the manager should be helpful and maybe say, "I am sorry for your loss" and nothing more.
KerryL1
(California)

11/23/2021 8:46 AM  
Our HOA does nothing. We do have a bulletin board in our mailrooms and I've occasionally seen newspaper obits on them, but don't know who posted them. agree with others to best leave alone.
JohnC46
(South Carolina)

11/23/2021 9:13 AM  
Posted By AugustinD on 11/23/2021 6:12 AM
I think most of the time, the HOA announcing a resident or owner's death is not appropriate and risks offending the family. I would vote to not even send a card, since the relationship the HOA had with the resident may not be to the family's liking.

Newspaper obituaries, for other than well-known-by-the-public people (politicians, celebrities et cetera), only happen when a family pays for and submits one.

If the family appears at the manager's office or in a phone call on probate-related matters, the manager should be helpful and maybe say, "I am sorry for your loss" and nothing more.

I agree.
MelissaP1
(Alabama)

11/23/2021 3:01 PM  
Be careful about "good meaning" members be it board or not. We had some who decided that if someone died their dues were "excused" for that month. Out of respect of the family. This is NOT a good idea. It was better that the members raised money to buy flowers than "excuse" dues.

Have to keep in mind that if there is no family, will, or even a will it all has to go through probate court. Which takes typically 6 months or more. That means that the HOA may be without dues during that time period. It doesn't really want to file a lien nor foreclose during this time period. This is one of those "special circumstances" that if you had a lien/foreclosure policy it may not apply. Eventually the HOA will get paid once a new owner has been determined. During the process there really isn't an "owner" so therefore no actual "member".

I am sorry for the loss of the resident. It is a hard line to address if you speak of it or not. My best advice is let a family member speak on their behalf than the HOA. That way they can deal directly with the family and not the HOA in those regards.

Former HOA President
MaxB4
(California)

11/23/2021 3:42 PM  
If we had a member pass that was either a board member, former board member, committee member, or former committee member it would have been posted in our newsletter. This is supposed to be a community and it was done out of respect and also to say thank you, sometimes after the fact, for their service to the community.
BenA2
(Texas)

11/24/2021 6:34 AM  
I do not think we have ever done this. Every situation is different so I would not say never do it. If it is a prominent member of the community or a small community where almost everyone knows everyone else, it might be appropriate. I would never post a death notice without the family's blessing.

As far as what system, we use email as our official notification system.
LynneM
(Massachusetts)

11/28/2021 7:38 AM  
As a trustee, I have taken this upon myself to send the family a card addressed from neighbors and friends.
When a previous board member passes it would be mentioned in the minutes sent to all owners recognizing the contributions the owner made to the community.
LynneM
(Massachusetts)

As a trustee, I have taken this upon myself to send the family a card addressed from neighbors and friends.
When a previous board member passes it would be mentioned in the minutes sent to all owners recognizing the contributions the owner made to the community.
LynneM
(Massachusetts)

LynneM
(Massachusetts)

AnnS12
(Wisconsin)

11/30/2021 1:09 PM  
We are small, 56 units. We usually send an email with our condolences and let everyone know the date and time of service if there is one.
Please login to post a reply (click Member Login on the menu).
Forums > Homeowner Association > HOA Discussions > Death of a community resident

Only members have access to all features.
Click here to join HOATalk for Free! Members click here to login and access all features.

General Legal Notice:  The content of forum messages are from the posting member and have not been reviewed nor endorsed by HOATalk.com.  Messages posted by HOATalk or other members are for informational purposes only, are not legal or professional advice and do not constitute an attorney-client relationship.  Readers should not act upon this information without seeking professional counsel.  HOATalk is not a licensed attorney, CPA, tax advisor, financial advisor or any other licensed professional.  HOATalk accepts ads from sponsors but does not verify sponsor qualifications nor endorse/guarantee any sponsor's product or service.
Legal Notice For Messages Posted by Sponsoring Attorneys: This message has been prepared by the sponsoring attorney for informational purposes only and does not constitute legal advice. This information is not intended to create, and receipt of it does not constitute an attorney-client relationship. Readers of HOATalk.com should not act on this information without seeking professional counsel. Please do not send any sponsoring attorney confidential information unless you speak with the sponsoring attorney or an attorney from the sponsoring attorney’s firm and get authorization to send that information to them. If you wish to initiate possible representation, please contact an attorney in the firm of the sponsoring attorney. Sponsoring attorneys that post messages here are licensed to practice law in a specific state or states as indicated in their message signature or sponsor’s profile page. (NOTE: A ‘sponsoring attorney’ is an attorney that is a HOATalk.com official sponsor and is identified as such in the posted message or on our sponsor page.)

Copyright HOA Talk.com, A Service of Community123 LLC ( Homeowners Association Discussions )   Terms Of Use  Privacy Statement