Get 1 year of free community web site hosting from Community123.com!
Friday, December 03, 2021

HOATalk is a free service of Community123.com:

Easy to use website tools to help your board
Only members have access to all features.
Click here to join HOATalk for Free! Members click here to login and access all features.
Subject: What is a "charted" POA/HOA?
Prev Next
Please login to post a reply (click Member Login on the menu).
Author Messages
RogerJ1
(Texas)

11/22/2021 1:58 PM  
What is a "charted" POA/HOA?

I Find nothing on charted POA from searching. Then I thought it might be a typo of "chartered" but that seems to have no meaning in POA/HOA circles either. Researching chartered POAs/HOAs, all I can find related to chartered is charters/missions statements, which I assume most to all organizations would have, so that would not make much sense. One might use chartered as a synonym for incorporated, but there would be nothing special about a POA being incorporated in some form since most to all are.

Also, it could a different typo - anyone have an idea what the writer meant?

Context, someone in my subdivision who pushed for a management company a year ago, for our small, 40 to 50 home, subdivision POA, is back to try again and in her introduction to an upcoming special board meeting on management company she wrote "charted POA"

"I still firmly believe a community of any size with a charted POA or HOA should never
be self-managed. My position is rooted in my own actual home-owner experiences with
self-managed HOA and POA organizations. Remember board members come and go
yet the continuity of a POA/HOA charter remains as does the necessity for a consistent
and qualified leader for community business."
RogerJ1
(Texas)

11/22/2021 2:03 PM  
I forgot to ask/add. Does it have anything to do with multi tenant organizations like condominium or rental properties. I wonder because I found this site* which mentions "charter" many tomes but seems to be in context of tenants/renters/shared-units:

* https://naplesrentals.net/blog/owners/why-your-coa-hoa-needs-a-reputable-local-property-management-company
AugustinD

11/22/2021 2:25 PM  
-- In some circles, a HOA's or business's (for profit or not for profit) "charter" is equivalent to its "articles of incorporation."

-- I think the owner means "chartered." This furthermore means the POA is incorporated, with its charter (a.k.a. articles of incorporation) properly filed with the state. I think this owner furthermore is suggesting that, as a corporation (duly recognized by the state since the charter is on file with the state et cetera), the corporation (a.k.a. "chartered POA") should be professionally managed.
CathyA3
(Ohio)

11/23/2021 7:00 AM  
FWIW, some of the regulars around here refer to self-managed HOAs as "self-mismanaged".

What the person who is pushing for a management company is saying is that your POA is a corporation/business; that board members come and go and that many of them lack the qualifications to run a corporation; and even if they are qualified many lack the time needed to effectively manage the day-to-day operations of your community. I agree with her.

Professional community managers can provide a wide range of services, and many will offer a menu of services that associations can pick and choose from depending on their needs.

One of the more important ones is collecting assessments. You don't want to have to change banks and print new coupon books every time you change Treasurers, which can happen if you handle this yourself.

Another important service a professional manager can provide is getting bids for association work. Many of the bigger management companies have experience working with and managing contracts, they know who the good ones are, and the contractors also know who the responsible managers are. So getting bids becomes easier.

Obviously smaller associations will have money constraints, so may not want full service management. Many associations outsource only the bookkeeping functions.

It's certainly worth having the discussion as a community.
MichaelH34
(North Carolina)

11/23/2021 9:40 AM  
Posted By CathyA3 on 11/23/2021 7:00 AM

One of the more important ones is collecting assessments. You don't want to have to change banks and print new coupon books every time you change Treasurers, which can happen if you handle this yourself.

Why would you have this situation? Any checks should be printed with the corporation name and address, not that of the treasurer, any more than it would at any "normal" corporation.

Treasurers come and go at corporations and have to be added and removed from bank access as a normal course of having a business.

What am I missing?
DouglasK1
(Florida)

11/23/2021 9:46 AM  

Easily solved with a PO box. I certainly would not have been treasurer if my address was on checks or people were mailing their payments to my house.

Escaped former treasurer and director of a self managed association.
CathyA3
(Ohio)

11/23/2021 11:18 AM  
Posted By MichaelH34 on 11/23/2021 9:40 AM

Why would you have this situation? Any checks should be printed with the corporation name and address, not that of the treasurer, any more than it would at any "normal" corporation.

Treasurers come and go at corporations and have to be added and removed from bank access as a normal course of having a business.

What am I missing?

I agree that this shouldn't happen and there are ways to avoid it. But crazy stuff can happen in small, self-managed associations.

I vaguely remember a poster describing the problems they had with an out-of-state director who moved the association's money and checkbook out of state and the new board couldn't pay the bills after the out-of-state director resigned (the new directors were not authorized signers on the operating account). Not sure how that was resolved...

And I agree that treasurers come and go at corporations, but the corporations have departments performing the functions of a PM who handles the HOA books. The treasurers and other officers themselves aren't physically signing checks or shlepping to the banks every year to redo signature cards, both of which can happen in self-managed associations.

Money management can be time consuming, in other words, which is why I mentioned it as another reason to employ a PM.
JohnC46
(South Carolina)

11/23/2021 11:23 AM  
The problem with being self managed is finding owners willing to do the work, especially the financial side of collection and payment. Even if when self managed, an association would be wise to hire an Accountant/Book Keeper to manage the financial side.
Please login to post a reply (click Member Login on the menu).
Forums > Homeowner Association > HOA Discussions > What is a "charted" POA/HOA?

Only members have access to all features.
Click here to join HOATalk for Free! Members click here to login and access all features.

General Legal Notice:  The content of forum messages are from the posting member and have not been reviewed nor endorsed by HOATalk.com.  Messages posted by HOATalk or other members are for informational purposes only, are not legal or professional advice and do not constitute an attorney-client relationship.  Readers should not act upon this information without seeking professional counsel.  HOATalk is not a licensed attorney, CPA, tax advisor, financial advisor or any other licensed professional.  HOATalk accepts ads from sponsors but does not verify sponsor qualifications nor endorse/guarantee any sponsor's product or service.
Legal Notice For Messages Posted by Sponsoring Attorneys: This message has been prepared by the sponsoring attorney for informational purposes only and does not constitute legal advice. This information is not intended to create, and receipt of it does not constitute an attorney-client relationship. Readers of HOATalk.com should not act on this information without seeking professional counsel. Please do not send any sponsoring attorney confidential information unless you speak with the sponsoring attorney or an attorney from the sponsoring attorney’s firm and get authorization to send that information to them. If you wish to initiate possible representation, please contact an attorney in the firm of the sponsoring attorney. Sponsoring attorneys that post messages here are licensed to practice law in a specific state or states as indicated in their message signature or sponsor’s profile page. (NOTE: A ‘sponsoring attorney’ is an attorney that is a HOATalk.com official sponsor and is identified as such in the posted message or on our sponsor page.)

Copyright HOA Talk.com, A Service of Community123 LLC ( Homeowners Association Discussions )   Terms Of Use  Privacy Statement