Get 1 year of free community web site hosting from Community123.com!
Friday, December 03, 2021

HOATalk is a free service of Community123.com:

Easy to use website tools to help your board
Only members have access to all features.
Click here to join HOATalk for Free! Members click here to login and access all features.
Subject: new trustee
Prev Next
Please login to post a reply (click Member Login on the menu).
Author Messages
DonJ3
(Missouri)

11/14/2021 9:19 PM  

i am a newly elected trustee. problem is, the president don't like me
because i speak up when she makes statements that are not right. now i
am not asked to meetings. any thing i can do to fix this. we just elected
3 new trustee's, no board of directors, just 2 trustee's until this election
in Oct.
BenA2
(Texas)

11/15/2021 5:37 AM  
You need to check your governing documents and state law. Typically, notice of meetings have to be given to the membership and all members may attend. It goes without saying that the trustees have to be given notice.

I suggest speaking to the other trustees and get their take on it. If the president is really leaving you out of meetings then the other trustees need to do whatever is necessary to get a new president.
SheliaH
(Indiana)

11/17/2021 4:12 AM  
If the meetings are held at the same time of the month (e.g. third Thursday of the month at 6 pm), all you have to do is show up. And ask other members about the next meeting if necessary. Or the property manager, who will usually be there anyway.

In my community, the property manager sends board members a management package with the meeting agenda a few days before the meeting - make sure he or she has your information to ensure you get it on time. That could be the real reason you haven't heard of upcoming meetings.

Now, then you say the president doesn't like you because you call her out when she says things "that aren't right". I'm wondering what you're saying and how you're saying it. Do you interrupt and start talking? Are you trying to change the subject? Is there a misunderstanding somewhere on a point being discussed?

There are ways you can raise issues in a professional manner. I'm not saying there isn't a personality clash of that it's all your fault. It could be this president doesn't think she should be questioned on ANYTHING and that's also a problem. You're also new to the position and perhaps you should spend a little more time listening before commenting on everything.

Talk to one of the more experienced board members and ask for his or observations on the interactions between you and the president. Maybe there's something going on that neither of you have noticed. You could also take the lead and talk to the president yourself and see if there's anything you two need to squash, as both of you want the best for the community and need to find a way to work together, and all that.

MelissaP1
(Alabama)

11/17/2021 4:21 AM  
When I hear "Someone doesn't like me because of"... All I can think is they are calling out their own behavior. Like they don't like the President and that they tend to speak out when not prompted. I would stop myself. Take a breath. Read the room. Learn to better communicate. Take turns speaking not attacking each other's words. Speak for yourself and not others.

Yeah the person may be lying their face off. So what? Are you? If not, then speak your truth not over others not truth. That is my advice...

Former HOA President
Please login to post a reply (click Member Login on the menu).

Only members have access to all features.
Click here to join HOATalk for Free! Members click here to login and access all features.

General Legal Notice:  The content of forum messages are from the posting member and have not been reviewed nor endorsed by HOATalk.com.  Messages posted by HOATalk or other members are for informational purposes only, are not legal or professional advice and do not constitute an attorney-client relationship.  Readers should not act upon this information without seeking professional counsel.  HOATalk is not a licensed attorney, CPA, tax advisor, financial advisor or any other licensed professional.  HOATalk accepts ads from sponsors but does not verify sponsor qualifications nor endorse/guarantee any sponsor's product or service.
Legal Notice For Messages Posted by Sponsoring Attorneys: This message has been prepared by the sponsoring attorney for informational purposes only and does not constitute legal advice. This information is not intended to create, and receipt of it does not constitute an attorney-client relationship. Readers of HOATalk.com should not act on this information without seeking professional counsel. Please do not send any sponsoring attorney confidential information unless you speak with the sponsoring attorney or an attorney from the sponsoring attorney’s firm and get authorization to send that information to them. If you wish to initiate possible representation, please contact an attorney in the firm of the sponsoring attorney. Sponsoring attorneys that post messages here are licensed to practice law in a specific state or states as indicated in their message signature or sponsor’s profile page. (NOTE: A ‘sponsoring attorney’ is an attorney that is a HOATalk.com official sponsor and is identified as such in the posted message or on our sponsor page.)

Copyright HOA Talk.com, A Service of Community123 LLC ( Homeowners Association Discussions )   Terms Of Use  Privacy Statement