Get 1 year of free community web site hosting from Community123.com!
Friday, December 03, 2021

HOATalk is a free service of Community123.com:

Easy to use website tools to help your board
Only members have access to all features.
Click here to join HOATalk for Free! Members click here to login and access all features.
Subject: Wish to establish connections with homeowners.
Prev Next
Please login to post a reply (click Member Login on the menu).
Author Messages
RichardL7
(Colorado)

11/13/2021 4:02 PM  
Is it authorized for a home owner to have the email addresses of association members for the strict purpose, and I will repeat that, a strict purpose related to the Association and discussion only. Should like to put out questions to the Association related to the Association and their comments, such as the bylaws, and the declaration. Also to establish a communication where we can discuss difficulties or constructive comments, I get no reply from the management company. This would be strictly Association business and association business only. Trying to find a way to connect with homeowners. Is it authorized for a homeowner to have email address for such a purpose?.
Rich.
SarahV4
(California)

11/13/2021 4:58 PM  
In California, members have this right, although members can output.

A quick Google seems to imply that this is not the case in Colorado, and HOAs are in fact obligated to keep emails private. But, you can demand a member list with names and physical addresses, and ask people to join that way.
SarahV4
(California)

11/13/2021 4:58 PM  
*output should be opt out above
KerryL1
(California)

11/13/2021 5:21 PM  
Sorry, Richard. I don't know what "and discussion" means as it relates to CO codes.

Your request for Owners' mailing addresses surely needs to be in writing. In CA there can be a fine if the HOA does not provide them to Owners.

If your PM absolutely won't comply, you can, tho' quite a pain go to the county recorders offices and get the adresses.
CathyA3
(Ohio)

11/14/2021 6:08 AM  
I'll play devil's advocate for a bit since others have covered the legal stuff.

Many people discover just how difficult it can be to have "constructive" discussions about HOA topics. You need to have a Terms of Service agreement that is put in place from the start and enforced by the owner of the platform (website, social media page, email discussion group, etc.).

These things tend to attract misinformation, arguments, baseless accusations, defamatory posts, privacy violations, off topic discussions, plagiarized and copyrighted material, and the like. They're a favorite playground for those with an axe to grind. You as the owner of the platform will be legally liable for all of this stuff.

You also need to reckon with the fact that many/most homeowners are woefully uninformed about HOAs and how they work. They're not democracies and they're not social organizations or clubs. The large majority of HOAs and COAs are nonprofit corporations and are governed by a board of directors. There will be state laws saying what can and can't be done in these corporations. Someone who has never served on the board of such an organization probably doesn't understand them.

I'll leave you with the reminder about Roads to Wherever and good intentions.
JohnC46
(South Carolina)

11/14/2021 9:06 AM  
Posted By CathyA3 on 11/14/2021 6:08 AM
I'll play devil's advocate for a bit since others have covered the legal stuff.

Many people discover just how difficult it can be to have "constructive" discussions about HOA topics. You need to have a Terms of Service agreement that is put in place from the start and enforced by the owner of the platform (website, social media page, email discussion group, etc.).

These things tend to attract misinformation, arguments, baseless accusations, defamatory posts, privacy violations, off topic discussions, plagiarized and copyrighted material, and the like. They're a favorite playground for those with an axe to grind. You as the owner of the platform will be legally liable for all of this stuff.

You also need to reckon with the fact that many/most homeowners are woefully uninformed about HOAs and how they work. They're not democracies and they're not social organizations or clubs. The large majority of HOAs and COAs are nonprofit corporations and are governed by a board of directors. There will be state laws saying what can and can't be done in these corporations. Someone who has never served on the board of such an organization probably doesn't understand them.

I'll leave you with the reminder about Roads to Wherever and good intentions.

Well said.
RichardL7
(Colorado)

11/14/2021 12:40 PM  
Thanks, one and all for the comments, the comments provided caused me to think a little farther down the road. In trying to establish contacts may be like opening a can of worms. I'll put more thought behind this and see what can be done. Some of the things mentioned have already come to light when trying to make a discussion group. My thanks to you all and I will put more thought into this and see what I can come up with. You people out there are great and a big help, and more than you may know. Wish you all the best and enjoy.
Rich
NinaC2
(North Carolina)

11/15/2021 7:54 AM  
Are you an officer of the Board of Directors, or a homeowner part of the HOA association?
MarshallT
(New York)

11/15/2021 8:38 AM  
Hi,

You can create some sort of address book that members can choose to add their information to. You could also look at starting some sort of private forum for group discussions.
RichardL7
(Colorado)

11/15/2021 3:24 PM  
Homeowners?, you bet we are. Wife has been on the board 3 times in the past years (Year's) also in the past years, it has become so bad that I would classify the management company and the board as derelict of duties (the state of having been abandoned and become dilapidated.) Sounds harsh does it?, but it's true. Later on you will be able to read what the outcome of this will be. The wheels of justice turn slowly, but they do turn. Wish to thank all of you who have brought comments back to me, I certainly do appreciate it and I have said before, they have helped a lot more than you may understand or think.
Rich.
Please login to post a reply (click Member Login on the menu).
Forums > Homeowner Association > HOA Discussions > Wish to establish connections with homeowners.

Only members have access to all features.
Click here to join HOATalk for Free! Members click here to login and access all features.

General Legal Notice:  The content of forum messages are from the posting member and have not been reviewed nor endorsed by HOATalk.com.  Messages posted by HOATalk or other members are for informational purposes only, are not legal or professional advice and do not constitute an attorney-client relationship.  Readers should not act upon this information without seeking professional counsel.  HOATalk is not a licensed attorney, CPA, tax advisor, financial advisor or any other licensed professional.  HOATalk accepts ads from sponsors but does not verify sponsor qualifications nor endorse/guarantee any sponsor's product or service.
Legal Notice For Messages Posted by Sponsoring Attorneys: This message has been prepared by the sponsoring attorney for informational purposes only and does not constitute legal advice. This information is not intended to create, and receipt of it does not constitute an attorney-client relationship. Readers of HOATalk.com should not act on this information without seeking professional counsel. Please do not send any sponsoring attorney confidential information unless you speak with the sponsoring attorney or an attorney from the sponsoring attorney’s firm and get authorization to send that information to them. If you wish to initiate possible representation, please contact an attorney in the firm of the sponsoring attorney. Sponsoring attorneys that post messages here are licensed to practice law in a specific state or states as indicated in their message signature or sponsor’s profile page. (NOTE: A ‘sponsoring attorney’ is an attorney that is a HOATalk.com official sponsor and is identified as such in the posted message or on our sponsor page.)

Copyright HOA Talk.com, A Service of Community123 LLC ( Homeowners Association Discussions )   Terms Of Use  Privacy Statement