Get 1 year of free community web site hosting from Community123.com!
Friday, December 03, 2021

HOATalk is a free service of Community123.com:

Easy to use website tools to help your board
Only members have access to all features.
Click here to join HOATalk for Free! Members click here to login and access all features.
Subject: When bylaws arent followed
Prev Next
Please login to post a reply (click Member Login on the menu).
Author Messages
RichardE10
(California)

11/08/2021 5:27 AM  
What happens when a board doesn't follow the bylaws, whether by lack of knowledge or intentionally?
MelissaP1
(Alabama)

11/08/2021 5:52 AM  
Look at your documents for that answer. Do you have the ability to fine? Recoup costs? Do you have a fining schedule? Was the rule they were ignoring viable? Life style change and the rules are old. I would consider updating your documents if it has rules that no longer make sense in today's world.

Former HOA President
BenA2
(Texas)

11/08/2021 5:52 AM  
Normally your only options (other than simply reminding them of the bylaws) is to vote them out or file a lawsuit. Some HOAs also have a recall option.

As with any case, you have to decide if the violation is worth the trouble and potential costs. You have to ask yourself, is it causing any real harm?

AugustinD

11/08/2021 6:15 AM  
Posted By RichardE10 on 11/08/2021 5:27 AM
What happens when a board doesn't follow the bylaws, whether by lack of knowledge or intentionally?
In California and depending on the exact violation, I would write the board a polite email and/or politely raise this at the required open forum section of the next board meeting. If no response, then per California statute, I would consider using Internal Dispute Resolution (IDR) next. See https://www.davis-stirling.com/HOME/I/Internal-Dispute-Resolution

MichaelS56
(Minnesota)

11/08/2021 7:05 AM  
Please follow the advice that AugustinD gave or got to a Board meeting and explain your concern.
MaxB4
(California)

11/08/2021 8:16 AM  
Posted By MelissaP1 on 11/08/2021 5:52 AM
Look at your documents for that answer. Do you have the ability to fine? Recoup costs? Do you have a fining schedule? Was the rule they were ignoring viable? Life style change and the rules are old. I would consider updating your documents if it has rules that no longer make sense in today's world.

???????????????????????????????????????????????????
MaxB4
(California)

11/08/2021 8:17 AM  
Posted By RichardE10 on 11/08/2021 5:27 AM

What do you mean? The statement is about as broad as the ocean is wide.
KerryL1
(California)

11/08/2021 9:00 AM  
Please give us two examples of Bylaws that aren't being followed, Richard. I request this because many posters get Bylaws, Rules & Regs nd CC&Rs mixed up. I think we need to understand what in particular concerns you.
KerryL1
(California)

11/08/2021 6:24 PM  
Oh, I see & now recall, Richard, that you're ON the Board.

Will the other dis rectors listen to your property manager if you have one? And s/he's knowledgeable?

Or....will a majority of the Board agree that that you can ask your HOA attorney about these particular Bylaws?
SarahV4
(California)

11/08/2021 8:52 PM  
I recently joined a board (self-managed) very where bylaws were not strictly followed, and haven't been updated in decades. Some things are not followed because Davis Stirling overrides governing docs in places, but there were also simple things. For example, bylaws call out our annual meeting month, and boards have been having it in a different month for about 8 years, but bylaws were never updated... Other minor things like that.

What happened? Nothing, because no one REALLY cared. But, the board has now updated bylaws to align with common practice, and consulting a lawyer to get other docs updated.

In most cases, you just point it out politely and the board will comply, or update the bylaw to make sense if there is a good reason they are not complying.
MaxB4
(California)

11/08/2021 9:43 PM  
Sarah brought up a very good point, HOA's may not be following Bylaws, because they are outdated and new state civil codes now take precedent. For example, no more Action Without a Meeting, as most understand it, election rules have been updated. There are a number of things a board may be doing that aren't in the Bylaws, but in Civil Code. On the other hand, there may be a number of things that maybe allowed in the Bylaws, but not longer allowed in Civil Code.
KerryL1
(California)

11/09/2021 9:17 AM  
This is interesting Sarah. In most HOAs in CA, it seems that Bylaws must be updated by the Owners. But your original Bylaws say that that the Board alone may update them?
KerryL1
(California)

11/09/2021 9:23 AM  
Need to add: Boards can update bylaws when sections conflict with current statutes like the Davis-Stirling Act.
MarshallT
(New York)

11/09/2021 2:46 PM  
Hi,

It really depends on what occurred or didn't occur. The owners have the right to vote a member off of the board, or in extreme cases, sue the board.

However, this is a time-consuming endeavour. If the behaviour is significantly impacting the community though, they first step would be to speak to the board, and then an attorney if changes are not made.
KerryL1
(California)

11/09/2021 4:14 PM  
I agree, Marshall. Hope Richard clarifies.
SarahV4
(California)

11/12/2021 1:03 PM  
Posted By KerryL1 on 11/09/2021 9:17 AM
This is interesting Sarah. In most HOAs in CA, it seems that Bylaws must be updated by the Owners. But your original Bylaws say that that the Board alone may update them?

They are updating them by putting needed changes out for a vote to the members. So, yes, the members are updating, but of course the board has to lead the process.

There was lack of clarity on whether the board could unilaterally update them (as the CC&Rs state), as long as they weren't reducing member rights, and still comply with the law. Moving a meeting from one month to another is not a reduction in member rights. Other updates are increasing member rights by aligning with the civil codes. Anyway, it was easiest to just put out for a vote.
SarahV4
(California)

11/12/2021 5:56 PM  
And I meant to say the bylaws, not CC&Rs, give the board the authority to update to bylaws, without a vote. We still put to a vote to avoid any appearance of legal issues.
Please login to post a reply (click Member Login on the menu).
Forums > Homeowner Association > HOA Discussions > When bylaws arent followed

Only members have access to all features.
Click here to join HOATalk for Free! Members click here to login and access all features.

General Legal Notice:  The content of forum messages are from the posting member and have not been reviewed nor endorsed by HOATalk.com.  Messages posted by HOATalk or other members are for informational purposes only, are not legal or professional advice and do not constitute an attorney-client relationship.  Readers should not act upon this information without seeking professional counsel.  HOATalk is not a licensed attorney, CPA, tax advisor, financial advisor or any other licensed professional.  HOATalk accepts ads from sponsors but does not verify sponsor qualifications nor endorse/guarantee any sponsor's product or service.
Legal Notice For Messages Posted by Sponsoring Attorneys: This message has been prepared by the sponsoring attorney for informational purposes only and does not constitute legal advice. This information is not intended to create, and receipt of it does not constitute an attorney-client relationship. Readers of HOATalk.com should not act on this information without seeking professional counsel. Please do not send any sponsoring attorney confidential information unless you speak with the sponsoring attorney or an attorney from the sponsoring attorney’s firm and get authorization to send that information to them. If you wish to initiate possible representation, please contact an attorney in the firm of the sponsoring attorney. Sponsoring attorneys that post messages here are licensed to practice law in a specific state or states as indicated in their message signature or sponsor’s profile page. (NOTE: A ‘sponsoring attorney’ is an attorney that is a HOATalk.com official sponsor and is identified as such in the posted message or on our sponsor page.)

Copyright HOA Talk.com, A Service of Community123 LLC ( Homeowners Association Discussions )   Terms Of Use  Privacy Statement