Get 1 year of free community web site hosting from Community123.com!
Friday, December 03, 2021

HOATalk is a free service of Community123.com:

Easy to use website tools to help your board
Only members have access to all features.
Click here to join HOATalk for Free! Members click here to login and access all features.
Subject: Vetting bank account signatories
Prev Next
Please login to post a reply (click Member Login on the menu).
Author Messages
RichardE10
(California)

11/08/2021 5:26 AM  
Should our signatories for our bank accounts under our HOA's direct control be vetted? Such as a credit background check? We have CDs at a bank other than the bank where our tw accounts used by our managing agent are located.
MelissaP1
(Alabama)

11/08/2021 5:50 AM  
Well considering a HOA is not nor qualifies to give one's social security number to, that could be an issue. A HOA does not qualify for credit checks via Social Security #'s. If your a board member and elected then you are qualified.

Former HOA President
CathyA3
(Ohio)

11/08/2021 6:04 AM  
You'll probably need to check state law about this, and it would be a great question to ask the HOA attorney.

Some states and some communities prohibit convicted felons from serving on HOA boards. However, these laws generally don't address things like bankruptcies. If the person has a mortgage, obviously they were credit-worthy at some point - but that's just a snapshot in time, it says nothing about current financial issues. And there are limits on how intrusive an HOA can be.

My not-in-California take on it is that I understand the reason for doing something like this, but the law may not support it. And the time to do it is before electing or appointing a person with issues to a position where those issues are a problem.
SheliaH
(Indiana)

11/08/2021 7:56 AM  
There are other ways to protect the bank accounts, such as requiring two signatures if a check will exceed a certain amount. The checks should match the amount listed on a bill or invoice - nothing should be paid without them. Someone (like the treasurer) should be reviewing the monthly income/expense statements every month, which may include the bank statement itself. The CAI website also has several educational resources on various checks and balances associations can use to protect themselves against waste and embezzlement
MaxB4
(California)

11/08/2021 8:27 AM  
Signer need to fill out paperwork through the bank in which the account is held. Those forms follow the protocol of the Patriot Act. As a management company, I would have no issue providing a background check to clients. Some of those board controlled reserve accounts have $1M or more in them.
JohnC46
(South Carolina)

11/08/2021 11:24 AM  
Our PM can make deposits to our two reserve account in two different banks. Withdrawals/transfers have tho be approved by the Pres. and the Treasurer (myself).
LetA
(Nevada)

11/08/2021 11:52 AM  
Set up the CD with two signers on the CD . Also, who is holding the CD?
LetA
(Nevada)

11/08/2021 11:56 AM  
Posted By JohnC46 on 11/08/2021 11:24 AM
Our PM can make deposits to our two reserve account in two different banks. Withdrawals/transfers have tho be approved by the Pres. and the Treasurer (myself).

Years ago anyone can walk into a bank and make a deposit into a random strangers account. Recently I was put through the gammit just trying to make a cash deposit into my mortgage escrow account
without the bank making me jump through a bunch of hoops.
MaxB4
(California)

11/08/2021 12:42 PM  
Posted By LetA on 11/08/2021 11:56 AM

Years ago anyone can walk into a bank and make a deposit into a random strangers account. Recently I was put through the gammit just trying to make a cash deposit into my mortgage escrow account

It's called the Patriot Act.
PatJ1
(North Carolina)

11/08/2021 1:12 PM  
Posted By MaxB4 on 11/08/2021 12:42 PM

At the "stagecoach bank", and a couple of other banks from what I've read, only a signer on the account can make a cash deposit to an account. No matter how small, they must hand over their driver's license for recording when making the deposit.

Board members are volunteers. Many have no idea what they're doing. Educate them. Don't beat them up.
PatJ1
(North Carolina)

11/08/2021 1:27 PM  
Posted By RichardE10 on 11/08/2021 5:26 AM
Should our signatories for our bank accounts under our HOA's direct control be vetted? Such as a credit background check? We have CDs at a bank other than the bank where our tw accounts used by our managing agent are located.

Are you contracted with an MC who carries insurance, or is your HOA self managed?

Board members are volunteers. Many have no idea what they're doing. Educate them. Don't beat them up.
LetA
(Nevada)

11/08/2021 2:10 PM  
Posted By MaxB4 on 11/08/2021 12:42 PM

I was still abel to do that after the patriot act.. this has only been in the few years. The bank in particular would'd be a great catch even after all that running to catch them paid off.
These gluteus maximus clowns are messing with people that don't want sky rocketing mortgager payments because they keep failing to properly administer escrow accounts.
Please login to post a reply (click Member Login on the menu).
Forums > Homeowner Association > HOA Discussions > Vetting bank account signatories

Only members have access to all features.
Click here to join HOATalk for Free! Members click here to login and access all features.

General Legal Notice:  The content of forum messages are from the posting member and have not been reviewed nor endorsed by HOATalk.com.  Messages posted by HOATalk or other members are for informational purposes only, are not legal or professional advice and do not constitute an attorney-client relationship.  Readers should not act upon this information without seeking professional counsel.  HOATalk is not a licensed attorney, CPA, tax advisor, financial advisor or any other licensed professional.  HOATalk accepts ads from sponsors but does not verify sponsor qualifications nor endorse/guarantee any sponsor's product or service.
Legal Notice For Messages Posted by Sponsoring Attorneys: This message has been prepared by the sponsoring attorney for informational purposes only and does not constitute legal advice. This information is not intended to create, and receipt of it does not constitute an attorney-client relationship. Readers of HOATalk.com should not act on this information without seeking professional counsel. Please do not send any sponsoring attorney confidential information unless you speak with the sponsoring attorney or an attorney from the sponsoring attorney’s firm and get authorization to send that information to them. If you wish to initiate possible representation, please contact an attorney in the firm of the sponsoring attorney. Sponsoring attorneys that post messages here are licensed to practice law in a specific state or states as indicated in their message signature or sponsor’s profile page. (NOTE: A ‘sponsoring attorney’ is an attorney that is a HOATalk.com official sponsor and is identified as such in the posted message or on our sponsor page.)

Copyright HOA Talk.com, A Service of Community123 LLC ( Homeowners Association Discussions )   Terms Of Use  Privacy Statement