Get 1 year of free community web site hosting from Community123.com!
Friday, December 03, 2021

HOATalk is a free service of Community123.com:

Easy to use website tools to help your board
Only members have access to all features.
Click here to join HOATalk for Free! Members click here to login and access all features.
Subject: Statute of Limitations
Prev Next
Please login to post a reply (click Member Login on the menu).
Author Messages
ToddO1
(Florida)

11/05/2021 11:09 AM  
Does this mean (see below Section 3) that if you do something to your property and the HOA does not send you a violation within a year, then you are in compliance? For example, say you paint your house door with a non-approved color and 2 years later the HOA tells you it's not approved and you're not in compliance. If you can show them proof it's been that color for over a year (like google street view or the property appraiser site), then can they do anything if their records show this is the first letter they sent you? Another example would be if you placed rocks in your flower bed.

Section 3. Violations. The work must be performed strictly in accordance with the plans as approved. If after plans have been approved, the improvements are altered, erected, or maintained upon the Lot other than as approved, same shall be deemed to have been undertaken without ARB approval. After one (1) year from completion of any improvement, addition or alteration, said improvement shall, in favor of purchasers and encumbrances in good faith and for value, be deemed to comply with the provisions hereof unless a notice of such noncompliance executed by any member of the ARB shall appear in the Orange County public records, or legal proceedings shall have been instituted to enjoin the noncompliance or to enforce compliance with these provisions.

Thanks
SheilaJ1

11/05/2021 11:15 AM  
Did you get approval?

It doesn’t sound like you did. Then no statute of limitations, the arb can enforce whenever they please.
BenA2
(Texas)

11/05/2021 11:39 AM  
I believe that your are right. Any improvement is deemed in compliance if not put on notice within a year. More specifically, if the violation letter has not been filed with the county or legal proceedings have not been filed within one year, then you are in compliance. That is a higher standard than merely showing they sent you a violation letter.
SheliaH
(Indiana)

11/05/2021 12:06 PM  
These paragraphs are why I HATE legalese, but here goes (fair warning, you may not like it).

My read is that if the HOA APPROVED your change request ("The work must be performed strictly in accordance with the plans as approved") but then you went ahead and made a change contrary to what they approved ("If after plans have been approved, the improvements are altered, erected, or maintained upon the Lot OTHER THAN AS APPROVED {emphasis mine}) you violated that portion of the CCR ("same shall be deemed to have been undertaken without ARB approval.")

If you don't fix it within one year after you completed the project, the improvement shall be considered to be in compliance IF the house was sold (any improvement, addition or alteration, said improvement shall, in favor of purchasers and encumbrances in good faith and for value, be deemed to comply with the provisions hereof"). However, IF any member of the ARB took legal action against you to compel you to bring the area into compliance, the new owner will be held responsible for making those changes ("unless a notice of such noncompliance executed by any member of the ARB shall appear in the Orange County public records, or legal proceedings shall have been instituted to enjoin the noncompliance or to enforce compliance with these provisions.")

As Sheila said, not enforcing the CCRs doesn't necessarily mean they're deemed unenforceable. A judge would have to make that call, and it would likely depend on what was done and when, did the owner file an exterior change request, did the new owner buy the house with the promise everything was decent and in order - until the board said it wasn't, etc.

It would be better if the community was consistent in rules enforcement, but it's also a pain in the ass (because people counter with stuff like this or think rules apply to everyone else but them). Sometimes the board may be busy with other issues like building reserves. Most (all?) of the homeowners may not squawk about anyone's exterior change for years until new owners come along and realize the community has lost its original design and look, get pissed off and elect a board with the mandate that THEY finally enforce the rules. Some rules are also enforced more than others for whatever reason, including selective enforcement and then the whole mess winds up in court anyway.

In your case, it sounds like you're looking for a loophole and I don't think it'll work. If you make an exterior change YOU KNOW isn't allowed and don't bother to find out what the rules are or follow the process, the association is within its rights to come after you a year or two (or three, maybe more) after the fact. If you think your door color should stand, go ahead and fight it. You might win because it's been two years and someone should have noticed by now - or you'll have to explain why you ignored the design standards in the first place.

So, that's my take, but I'm not an attorney (and haven't slept in a Holiday Inn since August!) If you want legal advice, go to a private attorney - what's true in my state may not be the case in yours or vice verssa.
BenA2
(Texas)

11/05/2021 12:57 PM  
This sentence stands alone: "After one (1) year from completion of any improvement, addition or alteration, said improvement shall, in favor of purchasers and encumbrances in good faith and for value, be deemed to comply with the provisions hereof unless a notice of such noncompliance executed by any member of the ARB shall appear in the Orange County public records, or legal proceedings shall have been instituted to enjoin the noncompliance or to enforce compliance with these provisions."

There is no condition mentioned that it only applies if you sought or received approval. I do agree that it is always a good idea to get an attorney's advise.
CathyA3
(Ohio)

11/05/2021 1:08 PM  
My CC&Rs contain a statement that failure to enforce any of the provisions in the document does not preclude enforcement of them in the future.

It's a recognition that even responsible boards can have different ideas about what constitutes an appropriate level of enforcement.

It also means that for us "statute of limitations" is a non-starter.

However, this article refers to a limit of five years in which legal action must be taken:

https://www.naplesnews.com/story/money/real-estate/2018/01/13/there-time-limit-unauthorized-nonconforming-changes-homes/1006882001/

The article is a few years old though, so things may have changed. Another potential complication may be the right of individual homeowners to enforce covenant terms via lawsuit - since it appears that the article above refers specifically to actions taken by the HOA. I've seen a number of CC&Rs for communities in my area that do give individual homeowners that right.

ToddO1
(Florida)

11/08/2021 10:32 AM  
Thanks everyone...I guess everything can be interpreted differently, so there is no clear answer.
JohnC46
(South Carolina)

11/08/2021 11:19 AM  
I say if permission was never given, there is no time limit that makes what one did approved.
Please login to post a reply (click Member Login on the menu).
Forums > Homeowner Association > HOA Discussions > Statute of Limitations

Only members have access to all features.
Click here to join HOATalk for Free! Members click here to login and access all features.

General Legal Notice:  The content of forum messages are from the posting member and have not been reviewed nor endorsed by HOATalk.com.  Messages posted by HOATalk or other members are for informational purposes only, are not legal or professional advice and do not constitute an attorney-client relationship.  Readers should not act upon this information without seeking professional counsel.  HOATalk is not a licensed attorney, CPA, tax advisor, financial advisor or any other licensed professional.  HOATalk accepts ads from sponsors but does not verify sponsor qualifications nor endorse/guarantee any sponsor's product or service.
Legal Notice For Messages Posted by Sponsoring Attorneys: This message has been prepared by the sponsoring attorney for informational purposes only and does not constitute legal advice. This information is not intended to create, and receipt of it does not constitute an attorney-client relationship. Readers of HOATalk.com should not act on this information without seeking professional counsel. Please do not send any sponsoring attorney confidential information unless you speak with the sponsoring attorney or an attorney from the sponsoring attorney’s firm and get authorization to send that information to them. If you wish to initiate possible representation, please contact an attorney in the firm of the sponsoring attorney. Sponsoring attorneys that post messages here are licensed to practice law in a specific state or states as indicated in their message signature or sponsor’s profile page. (NOTE: A ‘sponsoring attorney’ is an attorney that is a HOATalk.com official sponsor and is identified as such in the posted message or on our sponsor page.)

Copyright HOA Talk.com, A Service of Community123 LLC ( Homeowners Association Discussions )   Terms Of Use  Privacy Statement