Get 1 year of free community web site hosting from Community123.com!
Friday, December 03, 2021

HOATalk is a free service of Community123.com:

Easy to use website tools to help your board
Only members have access to all features.
Click here to join HOATalk for Free! Members click here to login and access all features.
Subject: President Resignation
Prev Next
Please login to post a reply (click Member Login on the menu).
Author Messages
JonB2
(South Carolina)

10/27/2021 12:35 PM  
Hello, I am fairly new to my position as HOA President in our neighborhood. Our board is made up of volunteer positions. I have not enjoyed my time in the position and personality is just not cut out for some of the decisions that need to be made. I am trying to decide if I should step down from my role. Is this common? What is the best way to handle this decision?

Thanks just looking for some guidance. I have no hard feelings for the current board they are phenomenal to work with. Just not a good fit for me personally.
TimB4
(Tennessee)

10/27/2021 12:53 PM  
Jon,

You first posted in March. At that time you posted you were a few months into the position. Expecting that this is a one year position, you are almost done (perhaps, 2 or 3 meetings left).

If it were me, I would stick out the year and then (if you want to stay on the board) say that you do not have the time to be president and someone else will have to fill the job. If you don't want to stay on the board, then simply not run for reelection.

If you are in a multiple year position, I would simply say that you are finding the position of President to take more time then you can give and that you will resign from the position effective mm/dd/yyyy (I would suggest after the annual meeting if you can stick it out that long).
CathyA3
(Ohio)

10/27/2021 1:05 PM  
If you've never served on a community association board, that first year can be a real wake-up call. You find out just how little you know - and if you're not spending at least part of your time in a panic wondering what you've gotten yourself into and if you should resign, then you're not learning what you need to know.

So if it's any consolation, your questions are actually a good sign. It's the ones who aren't challenged who make poor board members.

The good news is that there are online resources that can help you learn the ropes. Here is one example:

https://www.caionline.org/HomeownerLeaders/ResourcesforHomeownerLeaders/CAI.BoardMemberToolkit_2014.pdf

And make sure you know your governing documents (CC&Rs and bylaws). When you have to make decisions, read them in their entirety to find everything that's relevant (relevant bits can turn up in unexpected parts of the documents).

The other question involves temperament. Can you develop a thick skin if you don't have one currently? How do you react to challenges in general? Are you an introvert? (I am one, and it was my biggest shortcoming. People wear me out, even the ones who are a joy to be around, so I had to manage my schedule to have enough alone time to re-charge.)

Being the board president is hard if this is your first year as a director. The president doesn't have any more authority than the other directors, but a lot of people don't understand that, so the president gets more than his or her fair share of jobs and criticism. People may view you as the voice of the HOA. You may find it easier to swap officer positions with one of the other directors at least until you get your feet under you. It sounds like you've got supportive colleagues, which does make life easier.

On the other hand, you may decide this is just not for you. It's a tough job and is time consuming, especially if your community doesn't have a property manager. If so, you're a volunteer, so you can resign - no harm, no foul.

MelissaP1
(Alabama)

10/27/2021 2:10 PM  
Welcome! Like everyone else would give yourself a year to adjust. The first year is crazy catch up. The second year is when progress happen. Third got more of a handle on things. That is about the time people want to vote you out to do a "better job". LOL!

My best advice is to ALWAYS have a copy of the rules. Bring them to the meetings. ALWAYS reference to them. Don't make a quick decision. Simply respond "need to consult the rules first". If someone can't hang on for a few days for a decision it's either an emergency or not that important. Whenever you write a violation. Again refer to the EXACT paragraph/document you are getting this from. Quote it in the response. Know the rules backwards and forwards. One thing people always want to say about their HOA is that it doesn't "follow the rules". Well get that out of the way by making ALL decisions by the rules.

If you don't think this this is something you can incorporate into you lifestyle, then maybe go to a different position. The moment you walk out that door it's basically "President" mode. I could go out and wash my car in a bikini. It wasn't me your pale white fat girl in a bikini who needs to put some clothes on. It was "Look at the President washing her car in the front yard"...

It is a job your either going to be Thankful for or un-thankful for. I took the attitude I was thank-full for the job. Got to do things for my neighborhood that would have normally complained about someone not doing. If you are that person then stay the course. If you want someone else to do the job, then your not the person for the job.

Honestly, it can be "fun" if you apply it to what you do. Just accept the things you can not change...

Former HOA President
BenA2
(Texas)

10/27/2021 3:30 PM  
Your governing documents may state otherwise but, typically, the president's job is to preside over meetings and be the spokesperson for the HOA. Decisions should be made by the board. I have been president for several years, simply because no one else wants the job, and I am quick to remind people that I run the meetings, not the association.
KellyM3
(North Carolina)

10/28/2021 5:34 AM  
Posted By BenA2 on 10/27/2021 3:30 PM
Your governing documents may state otherwise but, typically, the president's job is to preside over meetings and be the spokesperson for the HOA. Decisions should be made by the board. I have been president for several years, simply because no one else wants the job, and I am quick to remind people that I run the meetings, not the association.

This is EXACTLY how to approach the role of an HOA president when HOA operations or politics are overwhelming, too time consuming or if there are competence issues in board-wide decisionmaking (which is subjective).

This inherently slows down the process, slows down the intrigue and while it won't diffuse the workload, it will distribute the workload's execution along a longer time frame with no harm done to anyone.

Boards and dues payers will allow a single volunteer to absorb the responsibility of maintenance and oversight with increasing pressure to work/volunteer harder, faster and better. It's human nature.

Put that check in place.
TV
(Washington)

11/07/2021 10:33 AM  
being on the board is pretty much thankless job, and most HOs are clueless and whine as a habit
AnnaJ1
(Maryland)

11/10/2021 8:52 AM  
Posted By TV on 11/07/2021 10:33 AM
being on the board is pretty much thankless job, and most HOs are clueless and whine as a habit

Could not be phrased any better.
Please login to post a reply (click Member Login on the menu).
Forums > Homeowner Association > HOA Discussions > President Resignation

Only members have access to all features.
Click here to join HOATalk for Free! Members click here to login and access all features.

General Legal Notice:  The content of forum messages are from the posting member and have not been reviewed nor endorsed by HOATalk.com.  Messages posted by HOATalk or other members are for informational purposes only, are not legal or professional advice and do not constitute an attorney-client relationship.  Readers should not act upon this information without seeking professional counsel.  HOATalk is not a licensed attorney, CPA, tax advisor, financial advisor or any other licensed professional.  HOATalk accepts ads from sponsors but does not verify sponsor qualifications nor endorse/guarantee any sponsor's product or service.
Legal Notice For Messages Posted by Sponsoring Attorneys: This message has been prepared by the sponsoring attorney for informational purposes only and does not constitute legal advice. This information is not intended to create, and receipt of it does not constitute an attorney-client relationship. Readers of HOATalk.com should not act on this information without seeking professional counsel. Please do not send any sponsoring attorney confidential information unless you speak with the sponsoring attorney or an attorney from the sponsoring attorney’s firm and get authorization to send that information to them. If you wish to initiate possible representation, please contact an attorney in the firm of the sponsoring attorney. Sponsoring attorneys that post messages here are licensed to practice law in a specific state or states as indicated in their message signature or sponsor’s profile page. (NOTE: A ‘sponsoring attorney’ is an attorney that is a HOATalk.com official sponsor and is identified as such in the posted message or on our sponsor page.)

Copyright HOA Talk.com, A Service of Community123 LLC ( Homeowners Association Discussions )   Terms Of Use  Privacy Statement