Get 1 year of free community web site hosting from Community123.com!
Friday, December 03, 2021

HOATalk is a free service of Community123.com:

Easy to use website tools to help your board
Only members have access to all features.
Click here to join HOATalk for Free! Members click here to login and access all features.
Subject: Homeowners moved and left lots of trash out
Prev Next
Please login to post a reply (click Member Login on the menu).
Author Messages
AnnaJ1
(Maryland)

10/15/2021 12:59 PM  
Our community is about 300 single-family homes. We select & pay for our own trash provider. Owners have a pending contract but have already moved. They left all of their move-out trash in front of their home. Bulk trash--an old dresser, debris, a tire, etc. Their trash company isn't picking up their trash. I assume they didn't pay because they don't live there anymore. The management company sent them a violation letter, but the standard time members get to resolve violations is 30 days. Of course its not feasible to let trash sit for potentially weeks. I doubt the owners will be motivated to remove trash from a home they've moved away from. We want to remove the trash, but also be compliant. Any suggestions?
HenryS6
(Arizona)

10/15/2021 1:11 PM  
Remove the trash and then add it to the homeowner's account. The amount due will show up on the payoff summary and then they'll pay the cost at closing.

PatJ1
(North Carolina)

10/15/2021 1:13 PM  
I agree with Henry. Since they haven't closed yet you have a good chance of collecting. It never hurts to take pictures.

Board members are volunteers. Many have no idea what they're doing. Educate them. Don't beat them up.
JohnC46
(South Carolina)

10/15/2021 1:13 PM  
Posted By AnnaJ1 on 10/15/2021 12:59 PM
Our community is about 300 single-family homes. We select & pay for our own trash provider. Owners have a pending contract but have already moved. They left all of their move-out trash in front of their home. Bulk trash--an old dresser, debris, a tire, etc. Their trash company isn't picking up their trash. I assume they didn't pay because they don't live there anymore. The management company sent them a violation letter, but the standard time members get to resolve violations is 30 days. Of course its not feasible to let trash sit for potentially weeks. I doubt the owners will be motivated to remove trash from a home they've moved away from. We want to remove the trash, but also be compliant. Any suggestions?

I would give the owner days to remove the trash (weekends count) or the association will have it removed and bill the owner. Forget the 30 day thing.,
AnnaJ1
(Maryland)

10/15/2021 1:14 PM  
Posted By HenryS6 on 10/15/2021 1:11 PM
Remove the trash and then add it to the homeowner's account. The amount due will show up on the payoff summary and then they'll pay the cost at closing.

Thanks Henry. We can do this, but then we aren't giving them the amount of time that they are supposed to have to remedy the issue themselves. Are you saying just do it & let the chips fall where they may? I just don't want to expose the association to any legal issues.
HenryS6
(Arizona)

10/15/2021 1:26 PM  
Posted By AnnaJ1 on 10/15/2021 1:14 PM
Posted By HenryS6 on 10/15/2021 1:11 PM

Thanks Henry. We can do this, but then we aren't giving them the amount of time that they are supposed to have to remedy the issue themselves. Are you saying just do it & let the chips fall where they may? I just don't want to expose the association to any legal issues.

Yes, that is what I am saying. I suppose they could get an attorney and then try to dispute the amount added to their account, but that will delay closing which they won't want to do. If really mad, I suppose they could close on the house and then try to dispute with you after the fact, but I doubt that would happen.
KerryL1
(California)

10/15/2021 3:37 PM  
Anna, when you write "standard time," is 30 days, does that mean that the 30 days is published in your HOA's documents?? Or just that "it's always been that way?"
MaxB4
(California)

10/15/2021 3:42 PM  
All trash companies I have dealt with have a bulk pickup service. It is possible that the owner, before moving out, called them. I would just call the bulk pickup department and have it taken care of.
LetA
(Nevada)

10/15/2021 4:18 PM  
Having trash around is a breeding ground for more trash and rodents. That could lead to innocent homeowners having a rodent infestation. The more time you waste with pretty please letters the longer and more uglier the trash pile becomes. There could be a whole host of issues at this property like the bank foreclosing on the property. Who knows how long that ownership mess will last.

The best solution is to hire a junk removal company to have the junk removed. Remember, first send the owner of record a violation letter. Find out who the owner is though the county clerks office. You may need to go to the post office to see if they filed a change of address, but you need to send them notice. I would send the letter via certified mail with return receipt. Give them five days to clean up the garbage.
I would even be a cockier jerk and send a complaint to your county code enforcement. They have deeper pockets and more resources and may be able to get the ball moving faster than you can.
TimB4
(Tennessee)

10/15/2021 5:51 PM  
Contact their realtor, they will likely assist to address the issue.
MelissaP1
(Alabama)

10/16/2021 12:52 AM  
The rules are the rules and the law is the law. The timeline is the timeline. If it's 30 days it is 30 days. Find out what your City or County bulk trash pick is. Maybe the owners thought that the trash is picked up on a certain schedule.

I've recently moved myself. We have a bulk trash pick up for like furniture with the city once a month. It is once a week for other bulk like items like tree limbs or smaller items. It is regular trash pick up once a week.

So if it is a 2 or 30 day wait then that is what it is whether you like it or not. However, the HOA can always pay and see if the owner will pay the bill. Have a short period f time to do this. As it qualifies for a lien if left unpaid. Usually that period of time is 30 days prior to filing a lien.

Former HOA President
AugustinD

10/16/2021 5:00 AM  
In addition to the other suggestions:

I suggest the Board have the HOA manager contact the title company and formally inform the title company that there is an outstanding violation that must be cleared prior to sale.

If Maryland requires a HOA disclosure statement, then the outstanding violation should be listed there, too.
MaxB4
(California)

10/16/2021 10:22 AM  
What was the violation?
LetA
(Nevada)

10/16/2021 12:58 PM  
Posted By AugustinD on 10/16/2021 5:00 AM
In addition to the other suggestions:

I suggest the Board have the HOA manager contact the title company and formally inform the title company that there is an outstanding violation that must be cleared prior to sale.

If Maryland requires a HOA disclosure statement, then the outstanding violation should be listed there, too.

How do you know which title company to use?
TimB4
(Tennessee)

10/16/2021 2:01 PM  
typically the closing company contacts the Association to find out what the assessments are and what the balance is.
Please login to post a reply (click Member Login on the menu).
Forums > Homeowner Association > HOA Discussions > Homeowners moved and left lots of trash out

Only members have access to all features.
Click here to join HOATalk for Free! Members click here to login and access all features.

General Legal Notice:  The content of forum messages are from the posting member and have not been reviewed nor endorsed by HOATalk.com.  Messages posted by HOATalk or other members are for informational purposes only, are not legal or professional advice and do not constitute an attorney-client relationship.  Readers should not act upon this information without seeking professional counsel.  HOATalk is not a licensed attorney, CPA, tax advisor, financial advisor or any other licensed professional.  HOATalk accepts ads from sponsors but does not verify sponsor qualifications nor endorse/guarantee any sponsor's product or service.
Legal Notice For Messages Posted by Sponsoring Attorneys: This message has been prepared by the sponsoring attorney for informational purposes only and does not constitute legal advice. This information is not intended to create, and receipt of it does not constitute an attorney-client relationship. Readers of HOATalk.com should not act on this information without seeking professional counsel. Please do not send any sponsoring attorney confidential information unless you speak with the sponsoring attorney or an attorney from the sponsoring attorney’s firm and get authorization to send that information to them. If you wish to initiate possible representation, please contact an attorney in the firm of the sponsoring attorney. Sponsoring attorneys that post messages here are licensed to practice law in a specific state or states as indicated in their message signature or sponsor’s profile page. (NOTE: A ‘sponsoring attorney’ is an attorney that is a HOATalk.com official sponsor and is identified as such in the posted message or on our sponsor page.)

Copyright HOA Talk.com, A Service of Community123 LLC ( Homeowners Association Discussions )   Terms Of Use  Privacy Statement