Get 1 year of free community web site hosting from Community123.com!
Wednesday, October 27, 2021

HOATalk is a free service of Community123.com:

Easy to use website tools to help your board
Only members have access to all features.
Click here to join HOATalk for Free! Members click here to login and access all features.
Subject: Postpone annual meeting
Prev Next
Please login to post a reply (click Member Login on the menu).
Author Messages
CourtneyS2
(Texas)

10/12/2021 8:22 AM  
Can the president postpone an annual meeting if our management company abruptly quit giving us now less then 30 days to find a new company? Our annual meeting is in 10days. I was told the president has sole authority to temporarily postpone.
JohnC46
(South Carolina)

10/12/2021 8:28 AM  
Courtney

I say the Pres alone cannot delay an Annual Meeting, but the BOD could. I do not see the linkage between the Annual Meeting and the BOD having to find a new PM unless the BOD has allowed the PM to run the meeting and they are scared to do it themselves.
HenryS6
(Arizona)

10/12/2021 8:42 AM  
I also think that the board can run the annual meeting even though the PM company is in transition. Now they might have a lot on their plate (finding a new PM company is more important than holding an annual meeting) so it might make sense to level load their volunteer workload to delay the annual meeting.

I think that the board as a whole should weigh in on the decision to delay.
CathyA3
(Ohio)

10/12/2021 9:06 AM  
I agree that this is a board decision.

If the former PM was in charge of handling all of the logistics for the annual meeting - notices, receiving signed proxy/ballot forms, preparing the agenda, reserving meeting space, etc. - then the board may well have no choice about postponing.

This is especially the case since the PM typical handles the money, and that has to come first. They have more urgent issues on their plates right now. (And many communities ended up delaying their annual meetings last year, and the world didn't end. You'll survive.)
PatJ1
(North Carolina)

10/12/2021 9:31 AM  
There are no "what if" provisions in our governing documents. One year our Annual Meeting was held in June instead of March. Don't know why as that was before my board "time".

Was the meeting to be held at the PM'S location, or on their virtual account, or at an other location? Has the MC's PM usually lead the meeting? If so, then it's time for the board to lead the meeting with the assistance of the PM. Not the other way around.

We once changed MC's at the end of the year. Anticipating a time crunch board had already secured meeting location. New MC couldn't even mail out the meeting notices in time. Board did! We had a successful meeting and the new MC paid for and picked up the food.

If you've lost your meeting's location you may be able to justify postponing it. Things change. Board needs to stay on top of things and have the meeting held ASAP.

A couple of year's ago, I, as board President, broke my ankle 3 days before the Annual Meeting. Since I could not attend due to immobility and awaiting surgery, our new PM lead the meeting. It was good because she was prepared.

Board members are volunteers. Many have no idea what they're doing. Educate them. Don't beat them up.
CourtneyS2
(Texas)

10/12/2021 2:52 PM  
Thank you'll for your help
Please login to post a reply (click Member Login on the menu).
Forums > Homeowner Association > HOA Discussions > Postpone annual meeting

Only members have access to all features.
Click here to join HOATalk for Free! Members click here to login and access all features.

General Legal Notice:  The content of forum messages are from the posting member and have not been reviewed nor endorsed by HOATalk.com.  Messages posted by HOATalk or other members are for informational purposes only, are not legal or professional advice and do not constitute an attorney-client relationship.  Readers should not act upon this information without seeking professional counsel.  HOATalk is not a licensed attorney, CPA, tax advisor, financial advisor or any other licensed professional.  HOATalk accepts ads from sponsors but does not verify sponsor qualifications nor endorse/guarantee any sponsor's product or service.
Legal Notice For Messages Posted by Sponsoring Attorneys: This message has been prepared by the sponsoring attorney for informational purposes only and does not constitute legal advice. This information is not intended to create, and receipt of it does not constitute an attorney-client relationship. Readers of HOATalk.com should not act on this information without seeking professional counsel. Please do not send any sponsoring attorney confidential information unless you speak with the sponsoring attorney or an attorney from the sponsoring attorney’s firm and get authorization to send that information to them. If you wish to initiate possible representation, please contact an attorney in the firm of the sponsoring attorney. Sponsoring attorneys that post messages here are licensed to practice law in a specific state or states as indicated in their message signature or sponsor’s profile page. (NOTE: A ‘sponsoring attorney’ is an attorney that is a HOATalk.com official sponsor and is identified as such in the posted message or on our sponsor page.)

Copyright HOA Talk.com, A Service of Community123 LLC ( Homeowners Association Discussions )   Terms Of Use  Privacy Statement