Get 1 year of free community web site hosting from Community123.com!
Wednesday, October 27, 2021

HOATalk is a free service of Community123.com:

Easy to use website tools to help your board
Only members have access to all features.
Click here to join HOATalk for Free! Members click here to login and access all features.
Subject: Meeting transcript
Prev Next
Please login to post a reply (click Member Login on the menu).
Author Messages
HenryS7
(Arizona)

10/08/2021 9:22 AM  
Zoom has a nifty feature where one can generate a word for word transcript of a meeting. Has anyone used this to their advantage for HOA stuff?

While it wouldn't replace meeting minutes (too wordy), I am thinking about turning it on for the next meeting so our secretary can use to help remember what was decided and create better quality meeting minutes. I also think some HOAs (probably not ours) might post them on the secure HOA website for homeowners to review if they want to review the discussions. We wouldn't do that but I can imagine others doing that.

I don't know the quality level of the transcripts yet though.
SheliaH
(Indiana)

10/08/2021 10:28 AM  
I don't think I'd use it. The secretary is supposed to be paying attention to the proceedings anyway so the minutes are accurate. Remember, minutes aren't supposed to be a note for note recap of who said what, only a reflection of what the board discussed and the action taken. It might be tempting to post a transcript, but I'd worry about publishing a transcript where there could be some inflammatory language because a discussion got heated. Even if it's available on a secured website, this would become part of the association records and therefore subject to discovery of someone decided to sue over what was said.

If the secretary is worried about capturing everything, he or she could prepare an outline of the meeting and take notes under the pertinent section and note what the board did. For example, under Landscaping, he/she could write the board discussed two RPFs and voted to accept the RPF submitted by X company. If you want to say who made the motion and who seconded it, that's fine. You can also note if someone abstained due to a conflict of interest. That's all the information the minutes need, so if you're not already doing this, you need to start.

And once again, Henry, please, please, PLEASE invest in some education about best practices for HOAs, perhaps starting with best practices for running meetings! You and your colleagues may be happier in the long run.
TimB4
(Virginia)

10/08/2021 10:38 AM  
You should not turn on that function without full consent from the board (expecting that you are on the board).

My understanding of zoom, which is limited, is that that option is only available to the host of the meeting.
MaxB4

10/08/2021 1:06 PM  
I use the function for every meeting held on Zoom.
JohnC46
(South Carolina)

10/08/2021 1:14 PM  
One of the mistakes many BOD's make is in making the Minutes either to long, or slanted, or both. Legally all the Minutes have to record is Motions Made and the result, and nothing more. That said it is OK to have a comments such as: Pool parking problems discussed. No action taken. Pool parking might have been discussed for a half hour but bottom line is no action was taken. No need to go on and on about pool parking
BenA2
(Texas)

10/08/2021 3:27 PM  
I would caution against posting an automated transcript unless you, at least, attach a warning that they may not be accurate. My limited experience with automated transcripts is that they are not usually very good at differentiating similar sounding words and can leave out words that are not spoken loudly enough. Leaving out a "not" or "un" can, obviously, change the meaning of a sentence.

I am an advocate of recording meetings in case there is ever a question of what was said. No matter how good the secretary is, they can make mistakes.
TimB4
(Virginia)

10/08/2021 3:47 PM  
Posted By MaxB4 on 10/08/2021 1:06 PM

Max,

Do you inform everyone in the meeting that you do this?
MaxB4

10/08/2021 6:33 PM  
Posted By TimB4 on 10/08/2021 3:47 PM

Max,

Why, is that important?
SheliaH
(Indiana)

10/09/2021 7:52 AM  
Posted By MaxB4 on 10/08/2021 6:33 PM

Max,

Why, is that important?

For starters, there may be state law that prohibits audio or videotaping anyone without their consent. If it gets out that you're doing this and someone (or several) object to being recorded, you and possibly the association could be subject to legal action. This is why you'll see signs in various places saying a video camera is recording everything.

Did the board ask you to record the meetings? What happens to the recording afterward? Can people get a copy? Are people told the meeting is being recorded? I've attended several online meetings where the host always announces the meetings being recorded, so why aren't you doing it? You're a property manager and always act like you know everything and the rest of us are idiots - seems to me you'd KNOW why this might be important.
MaxB4

10/09/2021 8:10 AM  
Posted By SheliaH on 10/09/2021 7:52 AM

Max,

Why, is that important?

For starters, there may be state law that prohibits audio or videotaping anyone without their consent. If it gets out that you're doing this and someone (or several) object to being recorded, you and possibly the association could be subject to legal action. This is why you'll see signs in various places saying a video camera is recording everything.

Did the board ask you to record the meetings? What happens to the recording afterward? Can people get a copy? Are people told the meeting is being recorded? I've attended several online meetings where the host always announces the meetings being recorded, so why aren't you doing it? You're a property manager and always act like you know everything and the rest of us are idiots - seems to me you'd KNOW why this might be important.

The question to Tim was redundant. I do know the law and I know how it is applied to HOA meetings in California. The question is, do you? Do I know everything? Never said I did, but none of my clients have ever been sue by anyone while I have managed their properties.

Do you care to comment on what you wrote in another thread, Nuisance or Troll, as I never posted a comment there? Or did you think I was RollandE?

hat's your opinion Max, and you know what they say about opinions and a-holes - everyone has one. You don't have to agree with what's written - people should be capable of taking some, none, or all of what's said and if it works, hooray. Yes, I know you've run a property management company and served on an HOA board, but that doesn't mean you know EVERYTHING. Life is constantly evolving and you will continue to learn something (or not) until it's time for you to take your dirt nap. Make your suggestion and be done with it.

I've always said this isn't an amen corner. Sometimes people come here with their minds already made up and want approval. When they're asked for more information or offered suggestions on what may really be happening they get mad because they're so convinced they're right. It never downs on them that there is another side (usually several) to consider, and that they may actually be wrong.

The trolling is one of the many double-edged swords in social media. There are people who try to help and others who just want to stir up nonsense then sit back and watch things explode - similar to using a magnifying glass to kill ants. You know these people wouldn't say half this crap in person because they don't want to get royally cussed out or worse. Or have someone point out their BS in front of everyone. Personally, I've learned to ignore what I consider foolishness and try to avoid name-calling. If all else fails, I go do something else.

BenA2
(Texas)

10/09/2021 8:19 AM  
Posted By SheliaH on 10/09/2021 7:52 AM

Max,

Why, is that important?

Most states are single party consent, meaning any person present for the conversation can record it without notice or permission. Other states require notice that you are recording. If you record using Zoom, everyone participating is notified that it is being recorded so it does not matter which state you are in.

What is done with the recording is a good question. I believe that in most states a recording of the meeting is a record, so if you download the recording, it may have to be kept and made available to members if they request it.
HenryS7
(Arizona)

10/09/2021 8:25 AM  
I did a test yesterday and found that a transcript is only created when a recording of the meeting is created. I don't wish to record the meetings because it will stifle conversation and be uncomfortable for us, so the idea of creating an automated meeting transcript will not work after all.
TimB4
(Virginia)

10/09/2021 8:45 AM  

Max,

Why, is that important?

Wiretapping laws, as Shelia pointed out, is a concern and States are not uniform on this law. Therefore, advise anyone to check applicable laws.

However, I was simply eluding to common courtesy to those involved in the meeting.

Now that you know why I asked and why I think it's important, will you answer the question?
MaxB4

10/09/2021 9:17 AM  
Tim,

This is the opinion of legal counsel:

Recording Open Meetings. With the board's permission, the secretary may record open board meetings to assist in the preparation of minutes. Once the minutes have been approved by the board, the recording should be erased. The recording secretary can, but is not required, to announce that he/she is recording the meeting. Even though the secretary may record meetings for the purpose of preparing minutes, the board can disallow recordings by others, whether it be members or other directors.

Recording Executive Session. Because of the sensitive nature of subjects dealt with in executive session (litigation matters, attorney-client communications, members discipline, personnel matters, etc.) executive session meetings should not be recorded.

Below are Zoom requirements when a meeting is being recorded. As I am the host, the recording feature is turned on before other individuals enter the meeting.

When joining a meeting that is already being recorded or the host begins recording, participants are asked to provide consent to being recorded. Depending on the account, admins can adjust this consent notification to only affect external participants, or apply to all meeting participants, internal or external alike. This notification can also be customized with additional information and a link, to a privacy policy, for example.

Note: If enabled by Zoom and an account admin, your microphone will be muted and your video will be off if you join a meeting with recording or live streaming already in progress. Once you provide consent, your microphone and video settings will revert back to the default for that meeting.

Sheila and others have suggested I present myself as someone who knows everything. What I don't know, I do my research. I also attend two HOA legal seminars each year and for the past two, because of virtual meetings being held because of the pandemic, this topic has been discussed.

The bigger question for the people who have been doing virtual meetings, why didn't they know this?
JohnC46
(South Carolina)

10/09/2021 1:53 PM  
People have to be reminded that not laws, regulations, etc. apply to all States. when posting things such as laws, regulations, please sate what State you are referring to such as: In my State of SC, etc.....
TimB4
(Virginia)

10/09/2021 5:23 PM  
Max,

A yes or no to my question would have been simpler.

MaxB4

10/09/2021 8:32 PM  
Posted By TimB4 on 10/09/2021 5:23 PM
Max,

A yes or no to my question would have been simpler.

People are throwing out accusations, yet know nthing about how the virtual meeting software actually work.
Please login to post a reply (click Member Login on the menu).

Only members have access to all features.
Click here to join HOATalk for Free! Members click here to login and access all features.

General Legal Notice:  The content of forum messages are from the posting member and have not been reviewed nor endorsed by HOATalk.com.  Messages posted by HOATalk or other members are for informational purposes only, are not legal or professional advice and do not constitute an attorney-client relationship.  Readers should not act upon this information without seeking professional counsel.  HOATalk is not a licensed attorney, CPA, tax advisor, financial advisor or any other licensed professional.  HOATalk accepts ads from sponsors but does not verify sponsor qualifications nor endorse/guarantee any sponsor's product or service.
Legal Notice For Messages Posted by Sponsoring Attorneys: This message has been prepared by the sponsoring attorney for informational purposes only and does not constitute legal advice. This information is not intended to create, and receipt of it does not constitute an attorney-client relationship. Readers of HOATalk.com should not act on this information without seeking professional counsel. Please do not send any sponsoring attorney confidential information unless you speak with the sponsoring attorney or an attorney from the sponsoring attorney’s firm and get authorization to send that information to them. If you wish to initiate possible representation, please contact an attorney in the firm of the sponsoring attorney. Sponsoring attorneys that post messages here are licensed to practice law in a specific state or states as indicated in their message signature or sponsor’s profile page. (NOTE: A ‘sponsoring attorney’ is an attorney that is a HOATalk.com official sponsor and is identified as such in the posted message or on our sponsor page.)

Copyright HOA Talk.com, A Service of Community123 LLC ( Homeowners Association Discussions )   Terms Of Use  Privacy Statement