Get 1 year of free community web site hosting from Community123.com!
Wednesday, October 27, 2021

HOATalk is a free service of Community123.com:

Easy to use website tools to help your board
Only members have access to all features.
Click here to join HOATalk for Free! Members click here to login and access all features.
Subject: Tips / gifts for property manager at year end?
Prev Next
Please login to post a reply (click Member Login on the menu).
Author Messages
HenryS6
(Arizona)

10/04/2021 8:52 AM  
As we approach year end, I am wondering if there are any gifts / tips that we should extend to our offsite property manager in exchange for her efforts throughout the year.

I'm thinking that a big boquet of flowers would be a nice gesture for the property manager and not be very expensive.

I'm not a fan of tipping in our society in general, but don't want to make the faux pas of not doing the right thing at year end.

(To be clear, I'm talking about using association funds, not personal funds for whatever we do if we do anything at all.)
AugustinD

10/04/2021 9:00 AM  
Folks here have argued both that:

-- such an expense is appropriate, for the sake of good business relations yada and per custom;

and

-- and it is not appropriate. The governing documents do not authorize the board spending money this way. Also payment beyond what the contract authorizes may be seen as trying to buy favors from the manager.

I do not like such tipping. But if I were an owner in your HOA, I would roll my eyes but otherwise not make a fuss about it. The Board is doing all the work that I am not willing to do, after all.
AugustinD

10/04/2021 9:05 AM  
Also if I were the manager, I would rather have a gift card compared to flowers.
JohnT38
(South Carolina)

10/04/2021 9:24 AM  
Our property manager went above and beyond anything that we could have expected last year. We bought her a Christmas present but myself and the other board members chipped into buy it. We did not use community funds. My belief is when you find a PM that is excellent you should show your appreciation anyway you can.
AnnaJ1
(Maryland)

10/04/2021 10:37 AM  
Do you have a "general/discretionary" fund or something of the sort? If so, I would use it for a very inexpensive bouquet, such as less than $50. Using money from this type of fund cuts down on members chirping about the Board "misusing" funds.
BarbaraT1
(Texas)

10/04/2021 10:41 AM  
Don't use association funds for this.

As a manager, I can say that a simple thank you card is rare and appreciated. If you want to go beyond that, board members could chip in for a gift card.
KerryL1
(California)

10/04/2021 11:16 AM  
I agree with those who say to use directors' contributions..
DouglasK1
(Florida)

10/04/2021 1:54 PM  
Posted By AnnaJ1 on 10/04/2021 10:37 AM
Do you have a "general/discretionary" fund or something of the sort? If so, I would use it for a very inexpensive bouquet, such as less than $50. Using money from this type of fund cuts down on members chirping about the Board "misusing" funds.

If the money comes from assessments/dues paid by the homeowners, putting a name like "general/discretionary" fund on it doesn't make it any different.

Escaped former treasurer and director of a self managed association.
SheliaH
(Indiana)

10/04/2021 3:39 PM  
Pass the hat among the board members and get her/him a lovely gift card (signed by the board members), throw a gift card in there and call it a day.

Having said that, the property manager may have a code of conduct that prohibits her/him from accepting gifts from clients over a certain amount, so you may want to check with the company. Make it clear he/she hasn't asked for anything, but you want to ensure you don't get her/him in trouble. You don't even need to name names - simply ask what the company's protocol is.

If it would be a violation to give the manager a gift, nothing's stopping from getting the card. You could even make a donation in the manager's name to his or her favorite charity.
FloridaC1
(Florida)

10/04/2021 5:52 PM  
Flowers don't feed your Association manager, they're a waste of time, wilt & die. When I worked on Longboat Key on the West Coast of Florida, owners gave envelopes with $ in increments none of you would imagine. Those days are gone. My portfolio properties gave nothing to me last year after hours & hours of long hard days and night meetings that were two hours long plus at least a 1/2 hour drive each way. My management company had us send a letter to our boards which felt like begging. If you really think that your portfolio manager deserves dead flowers than you're wasting your time. In order for your manager to make an income (remember they might only receive 40% of what you pay as a management fee), they have to manage over ten associations that actually pay over $20K a year. Gift cards are great & much appreciated. My .02.
Please login to post a reply (click Member Login on the menu).
Forums > Homeowner Association > HOA Discussions > Tips / gifts for property manager at year end?

Only members have access to all features.
Click here to join HOATalk for Free! Members click here to login and access all features.

General Legal Notice:  The content of forum messages are from the posting member and have not been reviewed nor endorsed by HOATalk.com.  Messages posted by HOATalk or other members are for informational purposes only, are not legal or professional advice and do not constitute an attorney-client relationship.  Readers should not act upon this information without seeking professional counsel.  HOATalk is not a licensed attorney, CPA, tax advisor, financial advisor or any other licensed professional.  HOATalk accepts ads from sponsors but does not verify sponsor qualifications nor endorse/guarantee any sponsor's product or service.
Legal Notice For Messages Posted by Sponsoring Attorneys: This message has been prepared by the sponsoring attorney for informational purposes only and does not constitute legal advice. This information is not intended to create, and receipt of it does not constitute an attorney-client relationship. Readers of HOATalk.com should not act on this information without seeking professional counsel. Please do not send any sponsoring attorney confidential information unless you speak with the sponsoring attorney or an attorney from the sponsoring attorney’s firm and get authorization to send that information to them. If you wish to initiate possible representation, please contact an attorney in the firm of the sponsoring attorney. Sponsoring attorneys that post messages here are licensed to practice law in a specific state or states as indicated in their message signature or sponsor’s profile page. (NOTE: A ‘sponsoring attorney’ is an attorney that is a HOATalk.com official sponsor and is identified as such in the posted message or on our sponsor page.)

Copyright HOA Talk.com, A Service of Community123 LLC ( Homeowners Association Discussions )   Terms Of Use  Privacy Statement